Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why are Android fans such irritating twerps?

Why are Android fans such irritating twerps?
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2011, 06:15 PM

Is there a more annoying online persona then the scorned angry Android fanboy?

You always hear about these crazed Apple fanboys, but every single online comments section and message board (not so much this one) is filled with this crazed breed of extremely angry, extremely anti-apple and extremely vocal Android super-fans.

It's like life and death with these halfwits. Listening to these people you would think that Apple was rounding up orphans and puppies and grinding them into a paste to power their factories.

Why do people think like this? Why are they such emotionally-stunted man-babies? Seriously?

And don't get me wrong. I really, 100% honestly have no problem with the Android platform. I don't. I've tried it, I don't see it as compelling enough to make me go away from Apples eco-system which I am very happy with. That's about the end of it. I really don't give a rats ass. I want both platforms to succeed. I want other platforms to succeed. I don't care. Competition is great.

But again, what is with these people? Why is the world of anonymous internet commentators so bitterly anti-apple? Everywhere? Help me understand, because I really don't get it.

And while we are at it, why does it annoy me so much? Are there an equal amount of crazed Apple fanboys and I just can't see it because I'm so biased myself?

And why can't I just not click on "comments"? Why?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2011, 06:29 PM

App envy.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2011, 06:34 PM

I understand Anroid fans to a degree - they're this horrible crossbreed of Win troll and Linux elitist. What I don't understand is Mac Android fans.

Android is something that, stretched to desktop size, every Mac user would balk at and call a tool of cavemen. But stick it on a phone and those who opted for something other than iOS will not only cling to it, but fling poop at everybody else passing by.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
App envy.
A.k.a. smaller dicks.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I understand Anroid fans to a degree - they're this horrible crossbreed of Win troll and Linux elitist. What I don't understand is Mac Android fans.
That says it all. Also, I love the ones walking around with a 5" Dell Streak in their pocket, trying to look cool. They get really mad if you ask them what kind of tablet they're carrying.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2011, 06:55 PM

I don't really understand fanboys at all, no matter what platform, but I agree that Android fanboys are the worst. And I'm an Android user. It's a fine platform, but I've seen people write death threats when an Android phone gets reviewed poorly on sites like Engadget. That's not even being a fan, that's being mental.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2011, 07:58 PM

off topic: teehee, poop.

on topic:
Yes, android users are seriously butt hurt since they know that theirs isn't the best.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2011, 08:22 PM

Arrested Development.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2011, 08:58 PM

It seems like every platform has their annoying population. I want to be annoying in such a way that I'm not associated with the fanboys of any platform, that is my goal.

off topic: vomit

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 02:11 PM

This isn't the worlds best example because it's from an android site, but seriously, read these comments.

Are people really this stupid? This amazingly stupid?

HTC Exec: iPhones Are Not That Cool Anymore

I'm loving this story because I hate everything "I". The real thing here is choice, really how hip are you with a IPhone; rather it be college or the local pub. True it was a trend setter but hip I think not, same look, same feel same damn phone. Now take a Android phone to a college or pub and now its a battle of feature or customization. You now have an hour long conversation about a phone instantly. Try doing tat with an IPhone when body can do the same damn thing. If everyone in the world drove Benzs would they be hip or normal?
iphones are not cool to anyone with a brain, except those younger than 12 and older than 60. i know an idiot at work that wants to trade in her excellent mytouch 4g for an iphone because its too "complex"...after hearing a few comments from other idiots im assuming its because iphone is made for people that arent too bright, dont like researching and making educated decisions, and generally just want to have what their other idiot friends have. so in general, iphones are for retarded folk.
IPhone is not "Hip" any more because its over priced, its OS assumes your Dumb, Its marketed in White ( yeah i know they come in black also ), yeah Android is geeky but why be tied down with an 24 month £40\$50 dollar contract to own a phone that's less powerful than a 1 year old android handset ( See Desire / HD ) and has a shoddy camera and is forced to use Specific software to get things on it.

For the price of a Iphone you can buy a top of rang android handset that blows to Iphone out of the water, or you can spend half the amount and get an handset that is on par if not better than the Iphone.

I know what i'd rather have Plug and play phone for less than the "Hip" thing that forces me to install fancy software on my PC and spend the saved money down the pub.

Androids cheeper & has more selection of handsets.

Iphone is expensive and just an iphone, i bet if you put I-OS on a OEM device and told the media it was a leaked "Iphone 5" 100,000 mugs would crawl out the woodwork and go get it, take it apart realise its not made by apple and not buy it.

They don't care for the handset, the care it says "Apple" and has "I-OS", we know this already look at the 3GS vs HTC HERO in 2009 iphone fans got mugged of with a shoddy 3mp camera vs a 5mp one and less stand by time on the Apple.

People who buy apple products because they think its pioneering top end tech need their brains tested, Handset technology has advanced so much recently Iphones are just stuck in 6th month ago tech.
heres my input..on this. my first step.into the smartphone world was the choosing of a iphone3gs in april..lol it was at this janky mobile store. the iphone was a "unlocked/flashed" however you put it..idk. right as I was looking at it I was like "this is a iphone?!?! its the same as a itouch this is boring" the guy even told me you cant sync it or anything..wtf?! thats stupid that just make it a phone... thought about it and researched android phones..the market, rooting, ect.. wow that is so much better. saved up and used my upgrade and got the G2x. couldnt be happier. even better when I got 2.3. what im saying is theres so much.more you can do with androids.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 13, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It seems like every platform has their annoying population. I want to be annoying in such a way that I'm not associated with the fanboys of any platform, that is my goal.
So you're a platform atheist?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 03:31 PM

What I don't understand is Mac Android fans.
It's quite easy to understand.

iPhone = expensive plan from the big two and 200 dollars on top of that for the hardware.

Android = variety of plans from many carriers and free 1ghz phones that do everything an iPhone does.

Does the iPhone have better music syncing? Yes. Does the iPhone have the best browser? Yes. Does those advantages warrant the cost difference against free phone and cheaper plans for me? Not at all.

I do agree though, super pro-Android users are by far the mos annoying fanboys of them all. It's a ****ing phone people, get over yourselves.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

iPhone = expensive plan from the big two and 200 dollars on top of that for the hardware.

Android = variety of plans from many carriers and free 1ghz phones that do everything an iPhone does.

Does the iPhone have better music syncing? Yes. Does the iPhone have the best browser? Yes. Does those advantages warrant the cost difference against free phone and cheaper plans for me? Not at all.

I do agree though, super pro-Android users are by far the mos annoying fanboys of them all. It's a ****ing phone people, get over yourselves.

Exactly!

I'm an iPhone user in large part because of my work and dependence on the internet, but if I didn't work in IT given my social habits I'd probably just get a cheaper Android or a dumb phone.

I don't like talking to people on the phone and text messaging and shit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 03:48 PM

I've also noticed that there are a few features that seem to be missing on the iPhone, for example posting Google Maps maps to Facebook, and pretty much all Facebookey sort of things. I can't think of any Apple app that is integrated with Facebook.

Some people live and breathe Facebook. For these users, maybe an Android phone is a better choice.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 04:04 PM

Are google apps synced with facebook? I would think that facebook is enemy #1 for google. Above even Apple or Microsoft.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 04:05 PM

No Facebook, no Twitter, Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S). Not a rabid fan.

I'm a one hour of calls per month, unlimited SMS, unlimited Internet user, and nobody wants me as a customer without having to pay serious dosh for the iPhone. I pay €25/month and paid €0 for the Galaxy S when it first came out - ok so I had to sign up for 24 months, but thats easy to get out of.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 04:19 PM

I'm still using a Symbian based phone, but when I upgrade, I'll probably get an iPhone. I seriously don't want to have to worry about malware on a phone.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Fair enough, but I'm making a distinction between Android Users and Android Fans.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 06:55 PM

Most Android users probably have the phone that they have because it was on sale for a limited time for free. Most Android fans like it because they can control an Arduino chip seven miles away to rickroll their neighbourhood.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So you're a platform atheist?
Would they not be more Platform Agnostic? They desire Platforms, yet shun being associated with a single Organized Group of "Platform People".

Perhaps "Platform Spirituality?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't really understand fanboys at all
I do. Some things are simply good enough to warrant it. I consider myself an Apple fanboy to an extent, in that I find Mac OS and iOS so good that I would never even consider getting another OS or Phone as a main machine.

I know Win 7 is pretty good these days, people say it a lot, but its still Windows. It still feels like Windows and works like Windows and is built by people that think like Windows people. Or don't think in many cases. I still find it ugly and irritating compared to OS X. Same with phones. Android looks fine but any touch phone is a poor imitation and I'm 99% certain of this without bothering to even look most of the time.

That said, I'm not one of those fanboys who can't criticise Apple when they do something that sucks. (its usually their behaviour or attitude though, not their products).

Other things where being a fanboy is totally justified:

NIN: Trent Reznor can do no wrong;
Kenny Dalglish: Top drawer player, top drawer manager, very few can say the same;
Marmite: is vastly superior to Vegemite and Bovril, the two common alternatives. So much so they might as well not exist in my book.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2011, 09:53 PM

That's not really being a fanboy though. You're using the product because they're good products and do what you need them to do. That is to say that if Apple came out with a completely awful iPhone, you probably wouldn't automatically buy it. Fanboys, especially these days, seem to stick to their platforms, no matter how badly they are burning, like we've seen recently with HP and webOS. They'll still buy the product even if everyone knows there is no future or that it's terrible.

*I am sort of a webOS fanboy, but I only have the slightest hope that the platform isn't dead.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2011, 10:48 PM

Actually, almost everyone bought the HP tablet because it was $100, not because of WebOS. I know that was my reason. Turned out to be not so bad and is doing a bang-up job as a car media server.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2011, 10:59 PM

Yes. I was specifically referring to the people though who defended it like crazy when it was $499 and then $399.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2011, 07:24 AM

I think this has historical roots in Apple vs. PCs.

20 years ago, it was vicious...and arguably, a little more understandable. At this point, I think the biggest reason for the vitriol against Apple is long simmering animosity passing down a generation.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 08:19 AM

Some people just like to follow the underdog/hate the big dog.

Not true of LA obviously. "This town loves a winner."
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2011, 10:10 AM

I put a lot of the blame on Apple's advertising. I think the long-running "I'm a Mac" ads really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Anyway, here are some ongoing Android fanboy talking points that really annoy me for some reason...

Apple can't compete by innovating, so they resort to suing everyone.
Android phones can do SO much more than an iPhone.
Apple doesn't innovate ANYTHING, everything they come up with is stolen from somewhere.
Android has already won the mobile phone battle and it's going to be like Apple/Microsoft in the 90s.
Apple is a patent troll.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
NIN: Trent Reznor can do no wrong
You should probably skip over Ghosts then.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2011, 11:23 PM

Android users tend to call everyone else, namely iPhone users, either fanboys or iSheep, but when you call them fanboys, they get pissed. People take it way too seriously and get personally offended when other people don't like their choice of cell phones. Then when you voice your opinion about Android, you are belittled and called names and then accused of having never ever ever used any other cell phone other than an iPhone and you have no idea what you're talking about. Like me on BGR. Even though I've been using cell phones since before the Motorola design team was drawing the StarTac on a napkin.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 04:44 AM

You should probably skip over Ghosts then.
Not his best work, still better than most other peoples best work.

Bottom line is that every Android phone and indeed every smartphone would like a Blackberry or Nokia Communicator if it weren't for Apple. Other touchscreen phones consequently look and feel like cheap knock offs to me.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 05:26 AM

I hate the rabid fanbois on either side.

It's the same damn lame platform warrior bullshit as with computers, only on an even smaller and much lamer scale.

It amazes me when I encounter some lameass, and I'm using my iPhone, and they lay into me with some crap about how much better Android is, and I tell them, "Yes, I have an Evo4G also..." you see the info rattle around their pea brains for a second, and then they KEEP ON WITH THE SAME CRAP as if I didn't just effectively say: "Listen lameass, I don't share your small-penis hangup with cellphones, I own what you're yapping about!"

as well...

It amazes me when I encounter some lameass, and I'm using my Evo4G, and they lay into me with some crap about how much better the iPhone is, and I tell them, "Yes, I have an iPhone 4 also..." you see the info rattle around their pea brains for a second, and then they KEEP ON WITH THE SAME CRAP as if I didn't just effectively say: "Listen lameass, I don't share your small-penis hangup with cellphones, I own what you're yapping about!"

They're just damned cell phones. It was dumb enough people getting their personal identities all entangled up with something as braindead as a commercial OS choice, but over a freakin' cell phone? Even dumber.

Forum Links
Forum Rules