Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac CorelDraw Graphics Suite killed

Mac CorelDraw Graphics Suite killed
-Q-
Jan 15, 2004, 02:24 PM

And will anyone notice?

Article here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=7684

I have to say, this was even given to me, no money spend on my part, and I never even used it. I was just underwhelmed with it as a suite of applications. Anyone ever use this?

And this doesn't include Painter, which will apparently still be developed.

ticotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 02:39 PM

For me it's sad, I use CorelDraw everyday for most designs, I like how simple it is to make a good looking logo or graphic.

For the moment CD11 will do, but does anyone have a recommendation for a simple vector-baed graphic program?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 05:02 PM

I bought and used CD Suite 10 (mainly for PhotoPaint) when OS X was rather new and there was no native support from Adobe. I was very glad Corel was supporting OS X, since it appeared that other software vendors were slow to do the same. I was happy to give Corel my money.
Since Photoshop 7, however, I've not even launched PhotoPaint. And presently, I'm awaiting the arrival of my Photoshop CS upgrade package.... I can't say I'm happy that Corel is dropping CD Suite for OS X, but it wont affect me.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 05:13 PM

Maybe they will offer it as free downolad as happened to WordPerfect

dru
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 09:48 PM

Disappoiting to see yet another app leaving Macintosh but even though I've bought at least three (maybe four) releases of Corel Draw on the PC, I couldn't justify the cost on the Mac when I could get Elements and do pretty much what I needed with that since Photoshop is the 'standard'.

I might still be a little annoyed that Corel never came through with their often announced native OS/2 software, always pushing back the "parity" releases. The only thing they released as a crappy Draw (PhotoPaint included ran via Windows support) port of the Win 3.1 version (so no threading, no long filenames) using an API translation library called Mirrors by their competitor Micrografix. I think they snatched up Z-Soft for Photo-Paint and killed Z-Soft's advertised OS/2 version.

Corel can rot.

Also, shame on them for killing Wordperfect on Macintosh. I don't even think that made it to PowerPC native, did it?

Face it, Corel is up a creek and on the edge of the waterfall. They're not in a financial position to battle with the Photoshop-loving Mac audience or much else these days.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:45 AM

While its unfortunate that Corel doesn't see fit to release a Mac version of GS12 their problems are their own damn fault. Corel totally borked the marketing of Graphics Suite on both Windows and Mac. GraphicsSuite is an art department in a box. The included programs make it relatively easy to whip up some nice web or print graphics without any training as a graphic artists. The average computer user could use the programs in the suite effectively. If they couldn't make their own graphics the suite comes with a nice library of material to work with and use.

For some reason Corel can't seem to sell it to people. Their first hurdle is the price. For the entire suite they want $429. That's a good $129 too much for what they're including, maybe even $229 too much. Neither RAVE2 or CorelDRAW are programs that will compete with their counterparts from Macromedia and Adobe. In terms of art and fonts shipped, $50 will buy quite a bit more.

The high price tag puts GS11 out of the range of the market Corel should have been focussing on, small business owners and small website operators. They've got Painter, KnockOut, and KPT to sell to the professional graphic artists. The Graphics Suite ought to be priced much lower for the prosumers who want more complex graphics than their simple OEM supplied printing toys offer but have no need for the entire Adobe Creative Suite. Too bad Corel.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 11:41 AM

For all those who mis Corel. Will Canvas due?

http://www.deneba.com/

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by ticotek:
For the moment CD11 will do, but does anyone have a recommendation for a simple vector-baed graphic program?
Adobe Illustrator CS

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 02:33 PM

'Tis sad. I worked on CD 6 and 7.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules