Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 10.3.8 killed wireless web surfing

10.3.8 killed wireless web surfing
-Q-
Feb 10, 2005, 10:15 AM

After updating my mini to 10.3.8 yesterday (safest machine to update as it wasn't critical to anything) and seeing that it was working fine, I updated my powerbook and my wife's iBook to 10.3.8. That's where the odd problem comes in: all web surfing is dead via airport (the base station is a Belkin but it's not that - other machines wirelessly surf the web fine). The real bugger is that other network traffic works just fine. I can get email, I can browse newsgroups. I can even connect to my MUGs First Class server with no issues. It's just accessing web pages that's nerfed. I have no firewalls on either machine (active anyway) and wired surfing works just fine. And this affects all web browsers, not just Safari.

I've pretty much run out of ideas (tried manual IP addresses vs. DHCP; turning on and off the IPv6 stuff; rebooting; reapplying the update with the combo updater; repaired permissions before and after updating). Any suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'd tried it with and without comcasts DNS servers and got no luck. Just tried Turtle777's Cox ones with the same result.
( Last edited by -Q-; Feb 10, 2005 at 11:13 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2005, 10:30 AM

Pretty clear.

You are missing information for the DNS (Domain Name Server).

Try the following:

COX DNS East

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2005, 10:49 AM

Sometimes it takes a little while for automatic data, such as DNS servers' addresses, to propagate to each client, especially if the client still has a valid DHCP lease. When updating the OS, it's a good idea to renew the DHCP IP address, which will automatically obtain all the other data-gateway address, DNS servers, and all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

-Q-  (op)
Feb 10, 2005, 11:12 AM

You are missing information for the DNS (Domain Name Server).

Try the following:

COX DNS East

Whoops. Forgot to mention that I tried that (edited my post to refelct that). But with or without DNS number made no difference. The browser tried, but could not load any web page. And just tried the cox DNS servers you provided and still no joy...

Thanks for trying!
( Last edited by -Q-; Feb 10, 2005 at 11:19 AM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 02:00 PM

Have you tried clearing out your system caches (wouldn't hurt to do that for user caches as well)? OnyX is great for this.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Whoops. Forgot to mention that I tried that (edited my post to refelct that). But with or without DNS number made no difference. The browser tried, but could not load any web page. And just tried the cox DNS servers you provided and still no joy...
From your description, I could swear you are using a PC

-t

-Q-  (op)
Feb 10, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
From your description, I could swear you are using a PC

-t
Heh - I wish! I could then just chalk it up to windows! But this one really has me puzzled....

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2005, 10:01 PM

I forgot to ask if things worked WIRED. Have you tried that? I know it's far fetched, but stranger things have happened. It would indicate a problem with the wireless networking profile, and you'd probably have to remove the AirPort card, restart, shut down, reinstall the card, and restart to get it working again. Heck, try that anyway. It might just be the kick in the pants the computer needs to remember who's boss!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules