Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > cut off your boobs

cut off your boobs
SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:10 PM

Okay, well, Tooki said art can be posted here, so here goes:

http://www.lilithgallery.com/gallery...ndyke-2001.jpg

More here:

http://www.lilithgallery.com/gallery...a_vandyke.html

Weird.
( Last edited by SuvsareRetarded; Dec 9, 2005 at 12:21 PM. )

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Tooki said art can be posted here
Then what are you doing?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 9, 2005, 12:20 PM

Image link is broken. Probably a good thing.

As to what he is doing, he is trying to be "cool" by posting questionable material.

Like he always does.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:21 PM

Posting Art... albeit really weird art.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:21 PM

I'm all for art. I'm fine with nudes. This is just tasteless, talentless junk.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:23 PM

Hey, I agree. The compositions are lame, the subject is gross, and I'd give it a D. That doesn't mean that someone else might think it's nice though. Art is subjective.

I just posted it because I'd never seen a girl about to cut her own floppy boob off before.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2005, 12:26 PM

Teen angst is so tired.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 12:30 PM

Hey, I agree. The compositions are lame, the subject is gross, and I'd give it a D. That doesn't mean that someone else might think it's nice though. Art is subjective.

I just posted it because I'd never seen a girl about to cut her own floppy boob off before.

How about interpreting it as a personal commentary on body modification, objectification of female bodies, personal loathing and sacrifice, making the private public (boundary crossing), taboo imagery and practices, mortality and control, etc. ? I could go on and on.

But all you saw were lame compositions. Art isn't just subjective, it takes effort to understand what someone else's intentions are, and some people just aren't cut out for making more than juvenile assumptions.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
How about interpreting it as a personal commentary on body modification, objectification of female bodies, personal loathing and sacrifice, making the private public (boundary crossing), taboo imagery and practices, mortality and control, etc. ? I could go on and on.
You could, but it would be silly to waste any time interpreting these shoddy works.

All of these subjects have been covered in better manners.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

But all you saw were lame compositions.
I wouldn't call them anything more than a cry for help.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

You scared the hamster !

-t

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 12:33 PM

You posted it because you think some people will be shocked and offended. Tedious. The pictures, and the post.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:35 PM

But all you saw were lame compositions. Art isn't just subjective, it takes effort to understand what someone else's intentions are, and some people just aren't cut out for making more than juvenile assumptions.
All I see is very poor photography and a lot of cliche subject matter. I'd have to say the freshman who are into photography at my school are way beyond this lady.

And how is art 'not' subjective? Right now, I'm thinking I won't even talk to you anymore, because that's jsut an incredibly assinine statement. Care to back it up? I don't even think I need to back up my position.... everyone can have their own opinion on art, so it is subjective. There. Refute it.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
You could, but it would be silly to waste any time interpreting these shoddy works.
Exactly. However, I have never seen a picture of a girl about to saw off her floppy boob.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OB1
You posted it because you think some people will be shocked and offended. Tedious. The pictures, and the post.
And you posted because you can read my mind from miles and miles away to see my true intentions for posting. Then you must also know what I think about you. Give you a hint: "OB1 is a ____ing m_r_n."

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 12:38 PM

Most everything's been done better before by other people: doesn't mean people shouldn't try or hide their opinions and art because close-minded cynics get grumpy that it doesn't connect with them.

PS. Just because it seems like a freshman's attempt at trying to create something doesn't mean it's not somebody with a sense of dignity that you obviously think invites disrespect because she's made it public. I'll bet you've never taken an art class in university and made any effort to understand performance art history, but you consider yourself a big enough expert to criticize her because it seems facile to you. You also objectified her body in precisely the way that the work invites thought to second guess... but you didn't respect that either.

I don't care if you don't respond, you're acting like an attention whore, but I'm glad I followed you're link because I thought it was interesting.
( Last edited by pathogen; Dec 9, 2005 at 12:46 PM. )
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:40 PM

Most everything's been done better before by other people: doesn't mean people shouldn't try or hide their opinions and art because close-minded cynics get grumpy that it doesn't connect with them.
Look, friend, I can appreciate art that has some form of talent behind it. I can appreciate novelty in art, a la Duchamp. That doesn't mean I like all of this art, but I can appreciate it.

I don't, however, appreciate tired delvings into subject matters that the art world has already explored at length and with more thoughtful composition.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 9, 2005, 12:42 PM

And you posted because you can read my mind from miles and miles away to see my true intentions for posting. Then you must also know what I think about you. Give you a hint: "OB1 is a ____ing m_r_n."
He doesn't need to read your mind Rob. It simply was THAT transparent.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 9, 2005, 12:44 PM

I don't, however, appreciate tired delvings into subject matters that the art world has already explored at length and with more thoughtful composition.
Anything can be called art now. You just have to get a pretentious mindset.

"Uh, that is a piece of paper with a dot on it"

"No no zaat is a work of ART! You don't know vat your talking about!"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:47 PM

Opinions. Assholes.

Art critics, forum critics, road sign critics, sports critics, etc.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2005, 12:47 PM

Anyone else think it's amusing that her surname is "Dyke"?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 12:50 PM

Look, friend, I can appreciate art that has some form of talent behind it. I can appreciate novelty in art, a la Duchamp. That doesn't mean I like all of this art, but I can appreciate it.

So it may not belong in the Whitney, but you sound as if you're discriminating against it just because it's not as good as you'd like it to be.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Anything can be called art now. You just have to get a pretentious mindset.

"Uh, that is a piece of paper with a dot on it"

"No no zaat is a work of ART! You don't know vat your talking about!"
When suprematists and non-objective artists like Malevich and Mondrian first defied artistic conventions by drawing shapes, it made a novel impact that exceeded the reaches of the art world. The problem is that "art" is such an abused term (now and certainly always). True art perseveres over time. This "art" will not.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 12:52 PM

So it may not belong in the Whitney, but you sound as if you're discriminating against it just because it's not as good as you'd like it to be.
I'm discriminating against it because it's not good or even new in any way. It's not even self-aware enough to realize that it's not either.

You might be satisfied poring over LiveJournal poetry. I prefer something with a little thought or substance.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 12:55 PM

Ooo, hit a nerve did I? You started this thread to provoke others, I guess that backfired. Call me more names.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:58 PM

PS. Just because it seems like a freshman's attempt at trying to create something doesn't mean it's not somebody with a sense of dignity that you obviously think invites disrespect because she's made it public. I'll bet you've never taken an art class in university and made any effort to understand performance art history, but you consider yourself a big enough expert to criticize her because it seems facile to you. You also objectified her body in precisely the way that the work invites thought to second guess... but you didn't respect that either.

I don't care if you don't respond, you're acting like an attention whore, but I'm glad I followed you're link because I thought it was interesting.
>sigh<

Actually I'm a student at a pretty substantial art school, and I've been studying art history and have taken many university art classes. So there goes that theory. If you wanted me to blabber on about contrapposto, focal point, implied line, texture, balance, contrast, contour, movement, etc etc etc, I could have, but I'm honest enough to say it sucks. I have noticed that one PROBLEM in the art arena is that artists are generally too nice to each other, and some people have a hard time with criticism. Some of my classmates have put forth almost zero effort in some projects, and it shows. I'm not afraid to tell them that it sucks, and say WHY it sucks. It's been a good thing. I'm not a total dick, but by not pointing out problems or telling people how you really feel you're only doing a disservice to the artist themself, because then they don't know how to improve.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:59 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2005, 12:59 PM

-t

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
He doesn't need to read your mind Rob. It simply was THAT transparent.
You too? Wow! Jesus gave you the gift of ESP! I actually posted it becuase I thought it was an amusing image, and maybe someone like yourself would make a funny internet picture out of it like OMG you make me want to cut off my boob!!1!!1!" or something.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 01:01 PM

>sigh<

Actually I'm a student at a pretty substantial art school, and I've been studying art history and have taken many university art classes. So there goes that theory. If you wanted me to blabber on about contrapposto, focal point, implied line, texture, balance, contrast, contour, movement, etc etc etc, I could have, but I'm honest enough to say it sucks. I have noticed that one PROBLEM in the art arena is that artists are generally too nice to each other, and some people have a hard time with criticism. Some of my classmates have put forth almost zero effort in some projects, and it shows. I'm not afraid to tell them that it sucks, and say WHY it sucks. It's been a good thing. I'm not a total dick, but by not pointing out problems or telling people how you really feel you're only doing a disservice to the artist themself, because then they don't know how to improve.
Dude, you didn't even criticize, you just turned up your nose. If you were really a half decent student, you'd have a better argument than ridiculing her "floppy" boobs.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Heh. That's how I found it actually. I was responding to your post about females needing big thick necks to be fighter pilots, so I typed in "dyke" in google image search, and it was one fo the first few pictures that showed up.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Heh. That's how I found it actually. I was responding to your post about females needing big thick necks to be fighter pilots, so I typed in "dyke" in google image search, and it was one fo the first few pictures that showed up.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 01:02 PM

I'm discriminating against it because it's not good or even new in any way. It's not even self-aware enough to realize that it's not either.

You might be satisfied poring over LiveJournal poetry. I prefer something with a little thought or substance.
This whole need for "substance" thing is bizarre. You're being elitist. The context of any art creates pretense, but it's up to the viewer to help create the context. I happen to like the context of issues of identity and the internet and public/private spaces, and outsider art, and so this appeals to me as interesting. Not all interesting dialogues in photography need to be perfect or by celebrities like Cindy Sherman to be valid.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:06 PM

The problem is that "art" is such an abused term (now and certainly always). True art perseveres over time. This "art" will not.
Ding ding ding!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2005, 01:07 PM

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:09 PM

Dude, you didn't even criticize, you just turned up your nose. If you were really a half decent student, you'd have a better argument than ridiculing her "floppy" boobs.
I did. I said the composition was poor. Apparently you read that, attacked me for it in your response and said I probably haven't taken any university art classes (which I have), and are now choosing to ignore the fact that I did have problems with her work on artistic merit.

I'm guessing you were probably in the 'fine arts'. Hrm. So high and intellectual! Yes! Everything is art! Tell you what, why don't you type out a 2 page essay about the context about the space and interaction between the viewer and this piece of art:

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 01:14 PM

I agree that the picture quality isn't the best. She is apparently proud of her body. It is still art, just her way of expression.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 01:14 PM

This whole need for "substance" thing is bizarre. You're being elitist. The context of any art creates pretense, but it's up to the viewer to help create the context. I happen to like the context of issues of identity and the internet and public/private spaces, and outsider art, and so this appeals to me as interesting. Not all interesting dialogues in photography need to be perfect or by celebrities like Cindy Sherman to be valid.
I don't know why it's "bizarre." Substance fuels the art world. So does novelty—looking at the world in a new light (the photonic endeavors of Seurat, the reconstructionist cubism of Braque), or using existential awareness to rewrite the history of art or reveal a dirty secret of its past (the extremely talented Bacon is a shining example of this—see his crucifixion triptychs and his version of Pope Innocent X—though, to be honest, I don't really like his work...I can still appreciate it, however).

I'm not against amateur art. Art became increasingly amateur from the time of the Impressionists and the decline of the Salon. Amateur art, however, needs some kind of substance to live and breathe.

Art of the kind linked to in this thread has already breathed up all the air. This "art" suffocates on its on staleness and naivete.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 01:15 PM

I did. I said the composition was poor. Apparently you read that, attacked me for it in your response and said I probably haven't taken any university art classes (which I have), and are now choosing to ignore the fact that I did have problems with her work on artistic merit.

I'm guessing you were probably in the 'fine arts'. Hrm. So high and intellectual! Yes! Everything is art! Tell you what, why don't you type out a 2 page essay in response to this piece of art:

I practically have responding to your awesome posts. Tell you what, I'm glad you think you're hot sh*t and that flipping me the bird and talking about the word "dyke" is your cup of tea. In the future I won't get so defensive and I'll just leave you alone.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I agree that the picture quality isn't the best. She is apparently proud of her body. It is still art, just her way of expression.
The model in the photographs is not the artist.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:18 PM

I practically have responding to your awesome posts. Tell you what, I'm glad you think you're hot sh*t and that flipping me the bird and talking about the word "dyke" is your cup of tea. In the future I won't get so defensive and I'll just leave you alone.
Whatever. God I hate fine arts majors.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:19 PM

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:19 PM

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 01:21 PM

I find it hard to believe that an arts major with a good education would get as defensive as pathogen.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

She deserves credit also. It's possible that it was done at her direction.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
If that were true I'm sure her name would be on the page too.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

Art of the kind linked to in this thread has already breathed up all the air. This "art" suffocates on its on staleness and naivete.
That's still elitist. "Low art" doesn't need to invent new spaces, it occupies them as personal rhetoric for small communities. Which is why it shouldn't be held to the same model, but is still communication from one person (whether you want to condemn her as naive, bland, retreading misfit, that's up to you) to the outside world.

But I'll say this: It's cool for her to be getting at least a few complete strangers to argue over her photos.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

Every post I make is a work of art.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:25 PM

I find it hard to believe that an arts major with a good education would get as defensive as pathogen.
I don't. I know a lot of them. Funny, the people that act that way are usually in the fine arts program. They get ultra defensive about things even when people are discussing other people's works. I think it's the "I don't want to upset anybody or be mean" mentality. Maybe we should just all sing Kumbaya instead of having an actual critique.

Forum Links
Forum Rules