Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Go To The Movies More, Less, or the Same?

Do You Go To The Movies More, Less, or the Same?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 07:14 PM

Hollywood has worst year in movie sales in years.

Actually, I do go to the movies less. I'd rather get the movie on a DVD and watch it at home on a big HDTV set in comfort. No annoying strangers with halitosis next to me, no over-perfumed women near me, no whispering, snickering, or talking...what's not to like by staying home and watching a rented DVD?

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Hollywood has worst year in movie sales in years.

Actually, I do go to the movies less. I'd rather get the movie on a DVD and watch it at home on a big HDTV set in comfort. No annoying strangers with halitosis next to me, no over-perfumed women near me, no whispering, snickering, or talking...what's not to like by staying home and watching a rented DVD?
I've been going less. The movies are just getting too expensive for what you get. I find that I cherry pick which movies I'm going to go to rather than just making a spur of the moment decision to go to the theater. Second run theaters are a good option. Plus, the hassle of inconsiderate people... Don't even get me started. Had one last night at Kong.

You reap what you sow.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 07:40 PM

I've been going about the same. I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVE going to the movies. Especially with a bunch of friends. I know the food's way overpriced, I know the tickets are too, but I'm going for the experience. I like the atmosphere. Lots of people having fun, enjoying the movie. Nice bucket o' popcorn and big Coke.

It isn't always like that, but I tend to go with a good crowd and everyone gets into the movie. Cheering, booing, applauding. It's a real hoot. It's just not the same when I'm at home. Then after the movie we usually head to a nice sit down restaurant or maybe hit a bar and we just get silly.

I like the movies. I think it sucks that the newer generation of kids are content with watching some horrible rip or minicam version on their computers.

Movies!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 07:50 PM

Same. Don't have a home thater setup, so movies is it.
Student rate $ 6.50 is quite affordable. An I bring my own BEER

-t

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 07:52 PM

Way way less than before. I hardly see more than two movies a year, if that. I think the last movie I went to had about 25 minutes of previews before it. And if you try to get there after most of the previews are over, you don't get a good seat.

So you end up drinking half of your $5 soda during the previews and have to pee halfway thru the actual movie. I'd much rather watch a DVD at home. I can buy 3 DVDs for what it costs to take my girlfriend and her daughter to the movies.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 10:25 PM

How was Kong?

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 10:29 PM

Less. I hate watching commercials. Having to watch twenty minutes of commercials after they dim the lights at the movie's show time is just annoying (not counting the commercials they show before the lights are dimmed).

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 15, 2005, 10:37 PM

I pirate movies off the intraweb. Can't stand theatres. They have people in them.

Downloading Kong at this very moment...will watch it to-nite.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 10:40 PM

Less.

But I did see The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe.... Awesome movie.
I liked it much more than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, although they were very good also.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 10:41 PM

Less....and it is sad as I used to really enjoy going to the movies.....

but it is not very fun anymore.. several problems....

1. People talking during the movies.

2. Cell phones going off

3. People answering the cell phones.

IF I do go to the movies I purposely go on a off night to avoid crowds and hope that the experience will be without distractions.... which is about impossible anymore.

I really love movies, and used to go at least once a week to a show, I rarely go more than once every 2 months anymore.

yes the endless commercials and countless previews are a bore as well...they need to start the movie when the showtime says..not 15 minutes later.... and install the electronic blockers they use in Mexico which cause cell phones not to work..... that would be a start.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 15, 2005, 10:51 PM

I've been going less. Call me crazy, but I think the number of good movies has been going down.

tooki

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
How was Kong?
Epic! It was very well done. Some people are saying they didn't like the 3 hour run time. I didn't mind it.

You reap what you sow.

Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 11:13 PM

There have not been any good movies since LOTR (in my opinion). So me and my friends have no incentive to go. Furthermore, we won't go to see movies because the price of popcorn, drinks and a ticket is a big affair. For us, it's $20 each, which is the price of a good meal. So, ya, we eat a lot more these days.

There do seem to be a few good movies coming out now: Geisha, and Kong to name a few.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 11:34 PM

I only ever go to the local artsy place (which plays a mix of modern blockbusters and arty Euro stuff). Breathe loudly in there and the resident film geeks will kill you. That's the way I like it.
( Last edited by Doofy; Dec 16, 2005 at 12:33 AM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 12:30 AM

Less. I buy them when they come out on DVD.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 01:19 AM

When I was in the US, about the same. Here Japan, less due to the price. 2,000¥ a ticket, which is $17. Thursdays is cheap night here, only 1,000¥ for men.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 16, 2005, 01:22 AM

Less, but only because I have young children and am basically unable to go.

But I do agree with Tooki, good movies lately have been few and far between.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 03:51 AM

I never went to the movies much. Movies I've recently seen in theatres:
Two Towers
Return of the King twice
Analyse That (regretted it for the next few weeks)
Spiderman 2
Star Wars Ep 2 twice
Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe twice, might even be a third time, I just love watching some movies with different groups of people
EDIT: Also Nemo and the Incredibles of course

That's about it, I really hate most movies, though if I go to a theatre it's gona be good.

That said we're gona be having the Independent Film Channel at home soon which I look forward to, I like Indie films.
( Last edited by Salty; Dec 16, 2005 at 04:34 AM. )

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 04:23 AM

We've been spoiled over the last few years with the Star Wars and LOTR trilogies laying down a framework of excitement about the theatre experience. I think more good ones may be on the way but this year definitely sucked. Price for me isn't an issue though. $3.50 thursday night student price

The real reason I think anyone goes to the movies is just the experience. Laughing with 200 or so people in a theatre or sharing a powerful moment with the same can be a great thing. Just go see the right movies and be polite but firm with rude people. The only thing that determines how often I go is how good the movies are.

(Oh yeah, Netflix )
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 04:40 AM

I watch way more movies now, but less in theater. I'll download/buy DVDs instead of going to a theater with people talking.
Last movie I saw was Saw II I think. I went with a bunch of friends and at least for that genre of film the theater experience is much different than the home experience.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
We've been spoiled over the last few years with the Star Wars and LOTR trilogies laying down a framework of excitement about the theatre experience.
I hope you were joking about star wars... i think most people walked away disappointed from those ones.

Originally Posted by olePigeon
... I tend to go with a good crowd and everyone gets into the movie. Cheering, booing, applauding. It's a real hoot. It's just not the same when I'm at home.
Sounds like maybe your group is the very type that people avoid the movies because of. I know I hate it when a group of people just can't help but cheer, boo, appluad, make comments, etc. during the movies. Bugs the heck out of me. And by the other posts here, I don't think I am alone. Just watch the movie and enjoy it quietly; that way others can enjoy it also. Your group may be the only people in the theater enjoying the show if you actually do that stuff during it.

As for me, very much less movies at the theater. A big reason for it is that I have two little kids, so it can't just be a spur of the moment kind of thing anymore. Another reason is the price. Another reason is the crappy sound systems in the theaters around here... they don't seem to know that "louder" doesn't make something sound better, it only makes it sound louder.

The commercials before the movies are crappy, but I don't think they affect my wanting to see a movie.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 16, 2005, 05:51 AM

On a side note: One of the reasons I like the theater better than home is that it seems like no matter who I watch a movie with there's always a reason to pause or otherwise interrupt it. I hate interrupted movies.

It's gotten to the point that there are a few people I refuse to watch a movie with. I won't watch a movie at home with my dad because halfway through we have to stop the movie so he can have a smoke.

My wife won't talk in the theater during a movie, but at home she'll ask me questions or otherwise talk during dialog. I always pause the movie and rewind, and that bothers her because she knows I like to watch movies uninterrupted.

A bit anal? Sure, but it doesn't keep me from watching movies at home, but this is just another I just prefer them in the theater. Along with the group participation thing, the larger screen, and the overall total experience.

If I could convince my wife and friends to not talk during a movie, or not cause the viewing to be interrupted, then I would never go to the theater again.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 16, 2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
Sounds like maybe your group is the very type that people avoid the movies because of. I know I hate it when a group of people just can't help but cheer, boo, appluad, make comments, etc. during the movies. Bugs the heck out of me. And by the other posts here, I don't think I am alone. Just watch the movie and enjoy it quietly; that way others can enjoy it also. Your group may be the only people in the theater enjoying the show if you actually do that stuff during it.

As for me, very much less movies at the theater. A big reason for it is that I have two little kids, so it can't just be a spur of the moment kind of thing anymore. Another reason is the price. Another reason is the crappy sound systems in the theaters around here... they don't seem to know that "louder" doesn't make something sound better, it only makes it sound louder.

The commercials before the movies are crappy, but I don't think they affect my wanting to see a movie.
AGREED!!! There is a theater I avoid simply because they have a very talkative audience. Ironically, a theater near me that has a full bar in the lobby and sells mixed drinks and huge 32 oz. beers has one of the quietest audiences. This is the only theater my brother and a few friends will go to.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 06:15 AM

I can see the local cinema from my front door.

The last movie I saw there was The Incredibles.

Home cinema all the way.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 06:38 AM

Home DVD, cinemas are not fun in China.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 06:49 AM

Once on-demand movies will be available, no one will go to the movies. I think? second opinion anyone.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 08:04 AM

I went to see King Kong yesterday and I remembered why I don't go the the cinema too often anymore. A bunch of retards making a lot of noise and laughing. Of course nobody dared to tell them to shut up to because it was a group of north african youth (Maroccan) and sadly enough people are afraid of them. I was really close to stand up and shout at them but my friends managed to calm me down. Seriously why do you go to the movies and talk and laugh all the time ? It's pretty sad. Other problem is all the people who have the need to check their cell phones every 20 seconds, those modern cell phones make A LOT of light and there even was a ****tard with a small flashlight.
Oh and I didn't really like the movie, too long. If it was half an hour shorter it would've been much better. It's possible that I didn't like it because of the shitty moviegoing experience.

Oh and 8 euros for a movie ? Please. I can buy a DVD at the Media Markt for that. Image and sound quality in our cinemas is top notch though. Allways the most modern equipment (fully digital) and THX certified.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 08:32 AM

It sounds like all of you live in retarded towns, since I have only had good experiences in the movie theater.

I go to the theater as ofter as ever: about 3 times a year.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
I've been going less. Call me crazy, but I think the number of good movies has been going down.
THAT'S CRAZY TALK.

-T

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2005, 11:34 AM

I want to go more even though there doesn't seem to be a lot of great films to go see. But I often don't have time to go see a movie-school, work, etc. gets in the way.

Another thing that gets in the way is how distributors move films around and pull them from the market for apparently arbitrary reasons. For example, I liked Serenity. We went on opening day, loved it, and wanted to see it again. Sorry, it went from half a dozen theaters to two to none in the space of two months (the two theaters were nowhere near where we live). Now I am waiting for the DVD (release date: Dec 20) from Amazon.com. Distributors use a planning model for placing films, and don't even (usually) pay attention to the box office in a market. They go by the plan: "three weeks is fine in San Antonio-they don't like this kind of film anyway." That's BS, but it's the distributors' BS and they're in charge.

Further, a lot of movies only go to theaters to create buzz for the DVD release. It's like the theater showings are just ads for the DVD. Dumb. How in a home theater can you get the kind of audience reaction that came with the original opening of Star Wars, when the Blocade Runner is chaced by the Star Destroyer? On a really big screen it was amazing! On a 52" TV it's just not nearly as impressive. Marketing, I think, is working to the detriment of motion pictures.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 11:35 AM

I go in spurts. Unfortunately, my wife isn't a big fan of going to the theater and she has very different tastes then me. Fortunately, I have an 18 year old cousin who loves going to just about anything. It's fun going out with him and watching the latest horrible comic book movie. He'll go see anything.

My friends and I are all grown up now, so we don't see anywhere near as many flicks as we used to. It's hard to make the time except in the case of the rare "must-see" blockbuster.

Of course, dropping a couple thousand bucks on a home theater doesn't help your motivation either. Most times, it is nicer to watch a flick in my basement then it is to sit next to some annoying drunk 17 year olds.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 11:57 AM

Ha ha Cody, yes Kong had about 30 minutes of previews before it, I saw it on Wednesday. It was ridiculous. I go to movies a lot nowadays, as I live about 10 minutes away from a theater. There have been some good movies this year, not as many as last year though.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 12:19 PM

I haven't been to a movie theater in many many years. Not worth the hassle and money.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
By group, I don't mean people I bring with me, but the entire audience. I also said that most of the time it isn't like that, it's just sitting there quietly.

And this isn't talking through a movie. Or someone falling alseep and snoring. Or having your 5-year-old whine and cry through The Exorcist (GODS!!! WHY DO PEOPLE BRING CHILDREN TO HORROR MOVIES?!!! )

For 90% of the movie it IS quiet. It's just that when you have a good audience, a good crowd, and the environment is really relaxed, people have a hardy laugh when it's funny, everyone cheers or claps a little when the hero/heroin does something really cool or fun, when something really gorry happens everyone collectively goes "Eeeeeew," and if something scary happens people scream, then laugh it out (though, there hasn't been a good horror movie in years. Sorry, but The Ring was freakin' retarded.)

It's not like anyone talks through the movie or is constantly doing stupid crap. It's just that everyone is getting in the mood and really enjoying it.

Of course, different areas may be different. In San Jose and up here in Grass Valley the crowds are real fun. People really get into the movie. If you want people falling asleep, you go to the matinee.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Another thing that gets in the way is how distributors move films around and pull them from the market for apparently arbitrary reasons. For example, I liked Serenity. We went on opening day, loved it, and wanted to see it again. Sorry, it went from half a dozen theaters to two to none in the space of two months (the two theaters were nowhere near where we live).
Serenity KICKED ASS. Same problem here. It was showing at 3 screens when I saw it. A week later, I had to drive 60 miles to Livermore where it was still playing. What the hell is that?! Luckily I was visiting my folks who I convinced to go see it. But still.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Once on-demand movies will be available, no one will go to the movies. I think? second opinion anyone.
Watching a movie on TV is nowhere near the same as seeing it at the movies.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 01:05 PM

I'd say about the same. Generally go to the early matinees on Sunday for regular release films and avoid the crowds and idiots for the most part. Then I have an indie arthouse/repertory cinema 10 minute walk from my place which is always good for weird flicks and catching other ones I missed.

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
So you end up drinking half of your $5 soda during the previews and have to pee halfway thru the actual movie.
Originally Posted by 11011001
Furthermore, we won't go to see movies because the price of popcorn, drinks and a ticket is a big affair. For us, it's $20 each, which is the price of a good meal. So, ya, we eat a lot more these days.
So don't buy food at the theatre, problem solved. I learned that as a kid.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:42 PM

Less.

Two reasons:

Bad theater
Rude people

It's not because of piracy. That's BS. Ever since my local Loews opened in '96, they've had nothing but problems. Swapped audio tracks, never turn on the digital sound, wrong aperature plates. Wankers. So I spent money and got my HT. I still spend money on DVDs, but not at the theaters anymore.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

my last 4 visits to the theaters have sucked major. ive been watching more films at home where im in control of my environment, where if a friend is too loud eating his/her popcorn (90% of people forget that they could keep their mouths shut while chewing in a theater) i could tell him/her to stfu.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:50 PM

Oh, and the assh*les that bring their BABIES to rated R movies.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 04:39 PM

So what do you think about this 'exaggerated fact' from the QuickTime Pro page?

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 04:45 PM

No comment
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 04:58 PM

AMC opened a megaplex with stadium seating, etc nearby which put all theaters out of business with a 10 mile radius. That means everyone in my suburban area heads to one place. Parking is a nightmare, theaters are crowded (it can be hard to get four adjacent seats), half the movies sell out hours before start time, and tickets are $9.50 each. I fail to see why they think I want to pay for that, although given the crowds, everyone else is happy to do it.

I'm happy to rent on DVD. I have HDTV and surround sound. I have my kitchen.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 04:59 PM

And beer, don't forget beer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by starman
And beer, don't forget beer.
No, I never forget to smuggle my own beer into the movies

-t

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 05:31 PM

1. Tickets are too expensive.
2. Food at theatres is WAY too expensive.
3. Movie audience manners have declined HORRIBLY since I was a kid. I haven't been with an audience where people stay in their seats, don't talk, don't come late, don't leave early, don't answer calls, etc, since the early 90's. Kids are getting worse and worse.
4. The movies are getting less risky.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 05:42 PM

Movie ticket prices are insane. That's why they're failing. Food is retardly expensive ($5 for a bucket of popcorn!?!? For $5 you could probably buy like 4-5 LBS of unpopped popcorn. That's retarded! $3 for a ****ing soda?! **** off eh? Annoying people with cellphones, stupid people who don't shutup, etc. Plus, in general the movies they show at theaters are crap. I'd rather rent an independant movie from the library or something, eat my own food, and watch without retards. Less cost, way better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MightyWinnebago
Movie ticket prices are insane. That's why they're failing.
Hm, I dunno. I pay $ 6.50 (student price). I think that's quite ok.

-t

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Hm, I dunno. I pay $ 6.50 (student price). I think that's quite ok.

-t
$8.50 here, non-student prices.

You reap what you sow.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Watching a movie on TV is nowhere near the same as seeing it at the movies.
Having a surround sound setup at home certainly improves the experience. Also with a projector and a 5 ft screen.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules