Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Go To The Movies More, Less, or the Same?

Do You Go To The Movies More, Less, or the Same? (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2005, 06:12 PM

NOTHING beats a 75 foot (or bigger) screen with real auditorium or stadium seating. There's a sense of volume you cannot get in a small room-or even a small theater.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
$8.50 here, non-student prices.
$11.75 here.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
NOTHING beats a 75 foot (or bigger) screen with real auditorium or stadium seating. There's a sense of volume you cannot get in a small room-or even a small theater.
That volume is all the high school kids talking and getting phone calls.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
That volume is all the high school kids talking and getting phone calls.
Not sound volume, space volume! And I have a habit of making managers pull disruptive viewers out of the theater and sometimes refunding my admission too. Making a nuisance out of oneself gets results, especially if it's done politely and with "the interests of all the theater's patrons" at heart.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
$11.75 here.
Holy smokes! I'd slit my own wrists before I payed THAT for a movie. Sorry about your misfortune!

You reap what you sow.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 06:58 PM

Last movie I remember seeing in a theatre was Broken Flowers. There hasn't been much to look forward to but I do intend on seeing Syriana. I will most likely wait for it on DVD since I'm sure I'll have to see it more than once to fully grasp it.

far200
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 12:48 AM

I go out to the movies less now........ I just got sick of paying $10 to go and have people talk when the movie is on........ so I just rent the movies now........ plus I can sit on my couch and enjoy a beer if I want to.......LoL

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 04:13 AM

Movies are $6.50 here, $4.50 for matinee. So the prices aren't tooooo bad, but after popcorn and a drink you're still looking at an easy $20 for a movie date. plus dinner.

A movie date at home is about $5, so it's a little more affordable. and you can fool around with your sweetie during the movie if you want to, so that's also a bonus. and if you fall asleep during the movie you haven't wasted your money. and you don't have to get there early to get a good seat. and if you have to pee you can pause the movie instead of missing it. and you don't have to hire a babysitter... just wait till the kids are in bed.

From the sound of everyone here I'm surprised movie theaters are still in business.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 07:36 AM

Not sound volume, space volume!
I know what you meant, but people in theaters are so annoying anymore that it's just not worth bothering.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 02:38 PM

Disagree. Sure, most theaters have nice systems, but they don't have it up load enough. I like bass. I want explosions to rumble. I want big sounds, and whatnot. I have a decent HTIB setup, and a 32" tv. I prefer watching movies at home because it's cheaper, I can tweak the sound to an amplitude that I find acceptable, and I can eat whatever food I want. The screen...eh... sure. It could be better. But it's not really worth spending thousands of dollars on upgrading it.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by far200
I go out to the movies less now........ I just got sick of paying $10 to go and have people talk when the movie is on........ so I just rent the movies now........ plus I can sit on my couch and enjoy a beer if I want to.......LoL
Hell yeah. Good point. Theaters don't serve booze. That sucks,b ut man.. . I imagine the crowds would be even worse if they were all drunk. And yes, fooling around can be good too.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 17, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MightyWinnebago
Hell yeah. Good point. Theaters don't serve booze. That sucks,b ut man.. . I imagine the crowds would be even worse if they were all drunk. And yes, fooling around can be good too.
Yes they do. There's a huge theater near me that has a full bar in their lobby. And they play first run movies http://www.cinemahollywood.com/showtimes.htm.

I have never seen a problem with this theater. But in Lansing, there's a theater where I always experience pot smokers and there are often problems there. I've seen some one light a joint in the theater. VERY disrespectful if you ask me.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2005, 03:29 PM

I used to go to movies probably 2 times a month, sometimes three (usually a friday / saturday evening thing, before or after other plans)

I have to say that this year that dropped off to about 1 movie, every other month. This is halfway due to the prices, crowds, etc. and halfway due to my busier scheldule.

I dunno... Yes people are rude at theatres sometimes, but I still like the environment. Waiting in line for 20 minutes for $7.00 popcorn sucks, but seeing a sold-out movie with good friends is a heck of a good time!
( Last edited by Tenacious Dyl; Dec 17, 2005 at 03:50 PM. )
yep.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By Railroader
I have never seen a problem with this theater. But in Lansing, there's a theater where I always experience pot smokers and there are often problems there. I've seen some one light a joint in the theater. VERY disrespectful if you ask me.
I live about 20 minutes out of Lansing. You don't mean Celebration Cinemas do you? I generally go to only NCG!
yep.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 17, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl
I live about 20 minutes out of Lansing. You don't mean Celebration Cinemas do you? I generally go to only NCG!
Actually, both Celebration and in East Lansing at the theater just outside the Meridian Mall. It's usually college students.

I put the blame on the immature age and not the pot smoking mentality.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Yes they do. There's a huge theater near me that has a full bar in their lobby. And they play first run movies http://www.cinemahollywood.com/showtimes.htm.

Dunno about disrespectful... is the theater no smoking? If they allow regular smoking, I don't see how it's any different. But yeah.. if you like to go see movies stoned, toke in the car or at home, then go see the movie. No need to do it in the theater. That's asking for trouble.

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 07:18 PM

I go to the movies less frequently than I used to.

Screaming babies suck; for some reason people think its OK to take their babies to the movies. What really irritates me is how commercials have weened their way in over the last 5 years. I just paid $10+ for a ticket and $10 for a soda & snack, and I have to watch commericals? No thanks.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 07:38 PM

I used to live right behind this restored art deco cinema. Beautiful and worth a ticket just for the ambience. Click the pic for a tour.

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 07:45 PM

I will have to agree with that. With LOTR and Episode III, there was no way I would miss going to the big screen.

I just wish the theater experience would be improved. Make it more classy--make it worth the high price, remove the commercials, deaden cell phone signals, reject customers with cryable children to all but rated "G" films, kill the commercials, and give people something to get excited about like how it was in the olden days.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 07:50 PM

i have never really gone to movies...i always wait for them on dvd. this year i think i only went to two - star wars & harry potter

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Railroader
Banned
Dec 18, 2005, 01:25 AM

Dunno about disrespectful... is the theater no smoking? If they allow regular smoking, I don't see how it's any different. But yeah.. if you like to go see movies stoned, toke in the car or at home, then go see the movie. No need to do it in the theater. That's asking for trouble.
It was non smoking. I haven't seen a smoking theater in about a decade.

I would never go to a smoking allowed theater.

See, they were being disrespectful by smoking pot in the theater.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 18, 2005, 01:32 AM

It was non smoking. I haven't seen a smoking theater in about a decade.

I would never go to a smoking allowed theater.

See, they were being disrespectful by smoking pot in the theater.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2005, 03:23 AM

King Kong REALLY sucked, by the way. Ugh.

I've decided that Peter Jackson is Uwe Boll with a budget.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Dec 18, 2005, 06:21 AM

[IMG]http://forums.gottadeal.com/images/smilies/partyup.gif[IMG]
What's you point?

Oh yeah, you were wrong by assuming something as usual, so you are trying to be distracting instead of admitting you were wrong.

Maybe we should we start a pool to see how long this ban lasts? At least someone could get something out of your being here.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 18, 2005, 10:37 AM

What's you point?

Oh yeah, you were wrong by assuming something as usual, so you are trying to be distracting instead of admitting you were wrong.

Maybe we should we start a pool to see how long this ban lasts? At least someone could get something out of your being here.

My point was I asked if it was a non-smoking theater. That's all I did. I asked a question. I said if it was a smoking theater, then I don't see how it'd be that disrespectful. That's all. Then you, in your always friendly christianosity, responded by saying it wasn't non smoking, you haven't seen one in years, and you would NEVER go to one, so they (bolded even) WERE being disrespectful, as if I had somehow claimed and bet my life that they were being respectful. You make too big a deal out of things, and this was a perfect example. Because I didn't feel like responding to you and getting into some bickerfest about you being a total dick for no reason (since all I did was ask if it was a smoking theater), I just posted a smiley face which mean "Go you! Have fun being a dick Kilbey, because that's who you are".

So yeah. Here it is again:

I'll even label it this time: That smiley face is for 'Go Kilbey! Way to try to pick fights all the time! You must have a tiny dick! Have fun!"

Railroader
Banned
Dec 19, 2005, 12:04 AM

You make too big a deal out of things, and this was a perfect example.
Oh, the irony...

Originally Posted by Rob
I'll even label it this time: That smiley face is for 'Go Kilbey! Way to try to pick fights all the time! You must have a tiny dick! Have fun!"
First SUV owners and now me. You sure have an obsession with the penis. And now mine?!? Dude, I am VERY happily married. Please, don't be like ambush, don't obsess about me sexually.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 19, 2005, 02:05 AM

If you won't get pissy about everything, I'll stop sexually obsessing about you.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 19, 2005, 02:26 AM

If you won't get pissy about everything, I'll stop sexually obsessing about you.
Again. The Irony.
( Last edited by Railroader; Dec 19, 2005 at 03:29 AM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 03:12 AM

Less because its not worth it any more, wait a few months I can buy the movie for the same price as it would have cost to see it once.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 03:26 AM

AGREED!!! There is a theater I avoid simply because they have a very talkative audience. Ironically, a theater near me that has a full bar in the lobby and sells mixed drinks and huge 32 oz. beers has one of the quietest audiences. This is the only theater my brother and a few friends will go to.
hehe every time my friends and I sneak in booze, we are quiet so we dont attack attention

Come to think about it, not a lot of good movies out right now anyway. The movies are still pretty packed here on weekends and weeknights so the local market here isn't doing to bad

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Once on-demand movies will be available, no one will go to the movies. I think? second opinion anyone.
We have on-demand movies here, same dam price as going to a movie except you can pop your own popcorn. I don't see it making a big impact.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 19, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
We have on-demand movies here, same dam price as going to a movie except you can pop your own popcorn. I don't see it making a big impact.
He means new-run movies. Not released to theater and then onto video and on demand pay per view.

I also see this as the way of the future. Movies will not be released to theaters and instead will be broadcast from the internet "on demand" like pay per view.

But first we'll have a dual delivery system where a movie will be released in theaters and simulatiously released on DVD and on demand pay per view.

But I have predicted badly before. I used to use windows .

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by mikemako
I will have to agree with that. With LOTR and Episode III, there was no way I would miss going to the big screen.

I just wish the theater experience would be improved. Make it more classy--make it worth the high price, remove the commercials, deaden cell phone signals, reject customers with cryable children to all but rated "G" films, kill the commercials, and give people something to get excited about like how it was in the olden days.

Gold Class Cinemas

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 12:03 PM

^^^ Wow.

-t

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 06:28 AM

I figure booze doesn't exactly increase your chances of making it through the movie without a toilet break.

We watched the Chronicles of Narnia at home last night. It opens in cinemas here in... um... five days.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 21, 2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
I figure booze doesn't exactly increase your chances of making it through the movie without a toilet break.

We watched the Chronicles of Narnia at home last night. It opens in cinemas here in... um... five days.
You do need a very strong bladder to make it all the way through the movie with a beer. Impossible with two.

You certainly see a lot of people get up and take a break more than in most theaters.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 08:19 AM

You do need a very strong bladder to make it all the way through the movie with a beer. Impossible with two.

You certainly see a lot of people get up and take a break more than in most theaters.
What do you think that empty beer cup is for?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 09:53 AM

I no longer go to the movies...

My reasons:
- Annoying people in the theater (horrible around major cities)
- If you miss something, you either pay again or wait for the DVD to come out.
- Very high price (nearly the cost to the DVD if you are a couple)
- Healthy treats

Railroader
Banned
Dec 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
What do you think that empty beer cup is for?
You. Are A. Genius!!!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

I go about the some, which is not particularly often, probably less than once a month. The second run (here, $1.75 per ticket) movie theatre is a great deal. I also go to a local independent theatre occasionally since I like supporting them... and they play some old movies that are not running anywhere. Most interesting movie experience of my life was attending a screening of 2001 there in the year 2002.

I don't mind previews before a movie, but not so many, and if there are multiple commercials that can really annoy me. It won't annoy me enough to keep me from the theaters... it's much worse when it shows up on a DVD... but it's still a pain in the kiester.

Forum Links
Forum Rules