Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Mail Order Medium Format Film Developers?!?!?

No Mail Order Medium Format Film Developers?!?!?
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 02:19 PM

Holy freakin' crap. I can't find ANY mail order film developers that develop medium format (120) film in the US. You can find a million of them in the UK, but not over here.

SURELY my inability to find what I'm looking for is due to the prodigious amount of Imitrex I've taken today. SURELY there's some reputable mail order film developer in the States that handles 120. SURELY someone on this board knows of one. And yes, I'm about to teach myself to do this myself, but I'd like to be able to send off if I ever need to.

Anyone have any recommendations?

TIA,
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:03 PM

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...id=00Fm2z&tag=

I ran across this page at a forum. Hope it sheds some light, but not on your exposed or unexposed rolls.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:40 AM

Just curious, why are you still shooting film? Even if it is medium format, digital has gotten so good I dont see any reason for film of any kind.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Just curious, why are you still shooting film? Even if it is medium format, digital has gotten so good I dont see any reason for film of any kind.

Black and white film will never be the same from a digital camera... and if it is b&w film you are trying to develop, then do it yourself, it can be a bit unnerving, but with some practice it gets easy...

Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Apr 8, 2006 at 01:40 AM. )

hayesk
Apr 8, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
Black and white film will never be the same from a digital camera... and if it is b&w film you are trying to develop, then do it yourself, it can be a bit unnerving, but with some practice it gets easy...
It's actually very easy - I've done it several times.

However, I wonder with some proper level and curve adjustments you can get the same look from a digital camera. I know a default picture taken with a digital camera, then converted to black and white doesn't look the same, but with proper adjustments, I think it could.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 10:45 AM

I've posted this to you before, A&I do 120 film mailers. You can even buy them at B&H.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 8, 2006, 11:38 AM

Your local camera shop that caters to pros will either do it themselves (less likely), or will know who to send them to (more likely).

I don't remember where, but in the past few months, I saw a whole list online of mail-order film processors that do formats other than 35mm. Perhaps some smart sleuthing will find it!

tooki

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 08:03 PM

If you have to ask that, please return your camera to its place of purchase.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
I've posted this to you before, A&I do 120 film mailers. You can even buy them at B&H.
Don't recall hearing that. Who is "A&I"? Got a link?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Don't recall hearing that. Who is "A&I"? Got a link?
Prepaid envelopes to send film in to get developed. A&I seems to be the lab. can't attest to quality.

"I start fires!"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 10:11 PM

Uh, I work in a camera store...

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 10:46 PM

And?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 8, 2006, 10:50 PM

Ahhh... so you want to sell him a camera that will take a substandard quality picture for more money. Gotcha. I fully understand.

On Topic: http://www.jdphotoimaging.com will develope your film. You'll find the information on their site for mailing instructions. If you contact them they'll send you out some mailers and if your order is over $20 they'll give you free shipping.

I have used them quite a bit and they do excellent work. They are very friendly and have been extremely helpful. They are very nice to beginners and have held my hand quite a bit in the past.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 11:19 PM

I already have three Olympus digitals and my main digital is a Panasonic FZ30. However, as you should know — since you work in a camera store — that digital cannot compare to film in any way. Two different mediums — but you ought to know that since you work in a camera store.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 11:22 PM

When I did professional portrait photography, I used North American Photo via their mail service for several years. North American specializes in people photography, so they may not be what you want. Another lab that is quite happy to do mail order is ABC Photo and Imaging in Manassas, VA. They do more general work.

I don't know why you keep insisting this is so difficult. Professional labs mail work back and forth all the time.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 11:30 PM

I'm not saying it's difficult — I'm saying I can't find anyone that does MEDIUM FORMAT 120mm mail order. 35mm mail order is a dime a dozen, but not MEDIUM FORMAT.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 11:39 PM

I'm not saying it's difficult — I'm saying I can't find anyone that does MEDIUM FORMAT 120mm mail order. 35mm mail order is a dime a dozen, but not MEDIUM FORMAT.
I just gave you two labs that do medium format via mail order. What do you think I did my professional work with? About 2/3 of my negatives were shot with a Hasselblad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

Do you still listen to vinyl?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
I just gave you two labs that do medium format via mail order. What do you think I did my professional work with? About 2/3 of my negatives were shot with a Hasselblad.
Right, that makes 4 I've found, total. Thanks. Chances are, though, I'll end up just developing them all myself.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2006, 08:27 AM

Right, that makes 4 I've found, total. Thanks. Chances are, though, I'll end up just developing them all myself.
I could quote several more, but those happen to be two I know and have used and have found to be good for C-41 (I use another lab for E-6). There are hundreds of pro labs in the country, and most do medium format, and most will be happy to do transactions by mail. If you don't like my recommendations even though I made my living with a medium format camera, then call up a lab yourself, try them out, and see if you like the quality of their work. Your assertion that there aren't such labs is simply wrong.

It sounds to me that you are basically looking for an excuse to process yourself despite the fact that several of us here who have actually done it told you that it isn't worth the effort. Hence you are becoming pissy and rude when all we are trying to do it answer your stupid question.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

There are hundreds of places out there. I just happened to give you the link to a place I found about 20 miles from my house on a google.com search recently.

Get an issue of shutterbug magazine and you'll probably find listings for a lot of places. Just because everyone is advertising "DIGTAL DIGITAL DIGITL!!!" right now doesn't mean they aren't doing Large and Medium format developing. There's a lot of studios still using film and there's still a client base for developing that they don't want to shun.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 11:09 AM

Medium and large format film makes for stunning images. It's an extremely mature technology and it shows.

I use digital for everyday snapshots, but there's something magical about a large format negative or transparency.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
I could quote several more, but those happen to be two I know and have used and have found to be good for C-41 (I use another lab for E-6). There are hundreds of pro labs in the country, and most do medium format, and most will be happy to do transactions by mail. If you don't like my recommendations even though I made my living with a medium format camera, then call up a lab yourself, try them out, and see if you like the quality of their work. Your assertion that there aren't such labs is simply wrong.

It sounds to me that you are basically looking for an excuse to process yourself despite the fact that several of us here who have actually done it told you that it isn't worth the effort. Hence you are becoming pissy and rude when all we are trying to do it answer your stupid question.
Simey, you need to refill your Adderall. I never said anything about your recs because I'm gathering names form people who know mail-order labs. Simple. I don't know where you come off saying I was pissy, unless it was because of the bonehead comment about not doing film in today's digital world -- and that had nothing to do with you.

Second, whether or not it's worth the effort is up to me, not you, so spare me one that front. And yeah, you answered my "stupid question" by giving me a couple more places. End of story.

Third, I don't recall saying MF mail order firms didn't exist — I said I can't find any major reputable ones advertising themselves online.

Not drop the caffeine pills and take a cold shower.

And thanks for the responses I got that pertained to my original question.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 9, 2006, 03:24 PM

Uh, yeah, Railhead, you have been rather pissy. You keep insisting (in TWO threads) that MF developing is hard to find, when everyone has made it painfully clear that it is not.

Just choose one of the several processors people have suggested and get on with things!

tooki

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2006, 03:35 PM

Simey, you need to refill your Adderall. I never said anything about your recs because I'm gathering names form people who know mail-order labs. Simple. I don't know where you come off saying I was pissy, unless it was because of the bonehead comment about not doing film in today's digital world -- and that had nothing to do with you.

Second, whether or not it's worth the effort is up to me, not you, so spare me one that front. And yeah, you answered my "stupid question" by giving me a couple more places. End of story.

Third, I don't recall saying MF mail order firms didn't exist — I said I can't find any major reputable ones advertising themselves online.

Not drop the caffeine pills and take a cold shower.

And thanks for the responses I got that pertained to my original question.
You asked a question. We gave you several answers to pick from. You just don't seem to like the answer for some odd reason. Next time, don't bother asking for personal recommendations if you aren't going to listen to informed recommendations.

I gave you the name of one of the largest and most reputable medium format labs. North American Photo do national business for portrait and wedding photographers. The probably don't push that side of their business in web advertising because professional photographers who do that kind of work already know who they are. They probably advertise more for digital, but as others have pointed out, that is no reflection on what a pro lab actually does.

ABC isn't national, but they are good. But if my opinion as a former custom color printer isn't good enough for you, well, that's your problem. If you prefer, you can choose based on the quality of their web design. But of course, that doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the lab work.

North American Photo may or may not suit your needs. They only print people pictures, and are picky about the kind of film they will accept. I.e. it needs to be professional stock and if you send them erratically exposed work, they will bounce it. They are a professional lab. ABC is more used to dealing with the general public as well as professionals. They also print general subjects.

Oh, and you are welcome. Not that you have displayed the slightest bit of spontaneous courtesy for the assistance strangers have given you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules