Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > UPS is evil

UPS is evil
sabrejim
Apr 25, 2006, 01:33 PM

So I track a package. It's delivered supposedly. Odd I thought since the UPS guy usually delivers in the evening and has never left a package before. Uhh it's not there. 2 hours later it's still not there ugh. Call UPS. It was delivered and signed by 'MICHEAL' but we don't have the signature or address, call back later. WTF!@#%$##

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:40 PM

When I bought a laser pointer (I hesitate to call it a pointer) from Wicked Lasers a few weeks ago, the UPS guy just left the package at my door (I was at work at the time).

Totally genius. Leaving a $300+ USD package at the door like that. Feh.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 01:41 PM

Their uniforms are terd brown, of course they're evil.

sabrejim  (op)
Apr 25, 2006, 01:45 PM

They left my $500 hd dvd player at the door last week. But I had that sent to my parents house so it wasn't that bad. Although at my parents house they randomly ask for signatures. I'll order a dvd from amazon, 1 day i need a sig, next day i dont. Weird but predictable. Apparently the UPS guy at my apartment is shady or something. I think its cody dawgs fault?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 01:49 PM

UPS once delivered a software product I had ordered, and they came to my door at a time that I was not home. So, their solution was to give my package to my next-door neighbor and not leave anything on my door telling me they had done so. So here I am, needing this software program posthaste, and so I call UPS up asking them what is going on. They tell me what happened and that there should have been a notice on my door. Well, there wasn't. I finally stopped over at the neighbor's and picked up the box. The neighbor, naturally, couldn't have been bothered to stop over and give me the box, or at least let me know he had it, even though it had been about a week. Grr...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2006, 02:23 PM

FedEx Ground once left a $1000 subwoofer at my front door. It was there for many, many hours until I got home. This after I called them up in advance specifically to tell them not to do this. The customer service rep simply said, "Oh you won't have to worry, because we don't do that."

I guess the good news for me was that the thing was so frickin' large it would have been hard for someone to steal it on his own.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
FedEx Ground once left a $1000 subwoofer at my front door. It was there for many, many hours until I got home. This after I called them up in advance specifically to tell them not to do this. The customer service rep simply said, "Oh you won't have to worry, because we don't do that."

I guess the good news for me was that the thing was so frickin' large it would have been hard for someone to steal it on his own.

What would UPS do if it was stolen off your doorstop?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 02:46 PM

DHL/Airborne Express.™

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 02:51 PM

I thought everyone in world know that it's UPS policy to leave packages on the porch if no one's home.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2006, 02:58 PM

Fedex delivered a package last week, and as the guy -handed- it to me, I commented, "this looks like it's been opened." - and sure enough, the label and tape underneath the label were completely torn.

He looked at me, said "I don't think so." and got in his truck.

Fortunately, the contents were inside and functioned when connected to power.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 02:58 PM

FedEx is the best.

Costs a bit more than DHL/Airborne but much more convenient and believe it or not, the executives of that company DO care about the company.

UPS is horrible.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:00 PM

You want a worst story. Where I work we often send boxes of products to our other offices through Canada Post. Not knowing that there was a weight limit, we sent boxes that were over 50 pounds and bigger than ususal; so the guys pick it up, delivered them to their warehouse, took them out of the truck, brought them inside, weighted them, then a woman called me to let me know that they were too heavy to come and get them; I told her that they got them out of the truck and weighted them, they could put them back on a truck and bring them back to me; she said no, their policy was something too heavy the customer has to come and get them. So, a guy from the office went to get them, and they could not find them, it took them 2 hours to locate those boxes.

Great Canadian customer service.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
You want a worst story. Where I work we often send boxes of products to our other offices through Canada Post. Not knowing that there was a weight limit, we sent boxes that were over 50 pounds and bigger than ususal; so the guys pick it up, delivered them to their warehouse, took them out of the truck, brought them inside, weighted them, then a woman called me to let me know that they were too heavy to come and get them; I told her that they got them out of the truck and weighted them, they could put them back on a truck and bring them back to me; she said no, their policy was something too heavy the customer has to come and get them. So, a guy from the office went to get them, and they could not find them, it took them 2 hours to locate those boxes.

Great Canadian customer service.

Everyone please take note that this is a great example on how canada as a whole sucks.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
UPS insures all packages up to $100. You would make a claim, they investigate, and you would be reimburse $100 if they can't find your package.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:27 PM

Everyone please take note that this is a great example on how canada as a whole sucks.
You're absolutely correct. You can't get *any* kind of information when you call a government agency here. I had a hell of a time with Canada Student Loans.

At one point I had a bit of a special case, and I was told to call a particular person. That person said they don't deal with that, call this person. It went on like this for weeks. Eventually I made it back to the first party. At that point, I smartened up and gave up. I figured ... "Hey, I'm dealing with the Canadian government here. The only time they get their act together is when YOU owe THEM money, and then things are snippety-snap."

So of course I waited until it was time to repay my student loans, and BAM. I got letters straight from the person responsible for my special case.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:40 PM

Most people are not aware of this, but UPS has a special 'loss prevention' department that will handle your shipment if you declare the value of your package over a certain value. I don't remember the amount you must declare to get this special treatment, but it is around $1,500. It only costs a few bucks more to insure your package at that limit, but your package is never put on a conveyor belt or handled by any of the common UPS employees. They put your package in a black bag with special tape all over it - so none of the common employees can find out what the package is and they know not to touch it.

If you insure your package for a high value, UPS will not leave your package at the door or with a neighbor. The last thing UPS wants to do is have to cut you a check for a couple thousand because it f*cked up the shipment of your package.

If you ever ship with UPS, insure your package for a high value if you are willing to pay a few extra bucks and you'll never have a problem.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
You're absolutely correct. You can't get *any* kind of information when you call a government agency here. I had a hell of a time with Canada Student Loans.

At one point I had a bit of a special case, and I was told to call a particular person. That person said they don't deal with that, call this person. It went on like this for weeks. Eventually I made it back to the first party. At that point, I smartened up and gave up. I figured ... "Hey, I'm dealing with the Canadian government here. The only time they get their act together is when YOU owe THEM money, and then things are snippety-snap."

So of course I waited until it was time to repay my student loans, and BAM. I got letters straight from the person responsible for my special case.
Momentary Hijack:

Excuse me, anyone who is clearly griping about Canada (to some extent Tomchu, but mostly Monique), please go listen to Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" and think for a second with gratitude about the fact you 1) live in Canada and not Cote d"Ivoire, 2) you got a loan from your government at a rate better than any bank, 3) you have post-secondary school education, and 4) Canada is a democracy and that the government's service is only as good as the people's commitment to its government. Go out and vote and help public sector jobs, health care, and environmental policy in Canada!

Thanks!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:11 PM

Why would I want to live in Africa anyway? People always tell me that I should be happy not to live in Africa. But, I do not want to live in Africa or Asia or South and Central America. It is a silly thing to say. I do vote for the other guy and do not care enough about this place for me to run for office.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Why would I want to live in Africa anyway? People always tell me that I should be happy not to live in Africa. But, I do not want to live in Africa or Asia or South and Central America. It is a silly thing to say. I do vote for the other guy and do not care enough about this place for me to run for office.
If you lived in Cote D'Ivoire, the odds are that you were born there and would not be able to leave. My point being, just being born in Canada made you more fortunate than alot of people and complaining about a public service policy without condescending to think about why that policy was implemented seems pretty ________. But enough of the digression. Back to UPS. They really do have a f*cked up hodgepdge crew on some of their shifts!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
UPS insures all packages up to $100. You would make a claim, they investigate, and you would be reimburse $100 if they can't find your package.
That's it? What as if in eug case UPS leaves a $1000 sub woofer on the front steps and somebody takes it? You get $100?

Or if a $5000 Mac is lost during transport?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 04:50 PM

Well, I made damn well sure it was insured before it was shipped. And it was FedEx.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
FedEx is the best.

Costs a bit more than DHL/Airborne but much more convenient and believe it or not, the executives of that company DO care about the company.

UPS is horrible.

I guess you missed my post above about FedEx leaving a $1000 subwoofer (with the value declared right on the package label for all to see) at my front door, after I called them in advance specifically to tell them not to do that.

whgoodman
Apr 25, 2006, 05:34 PM

UPS has left 1000 rounds of 9mm ammunition [shipped in a box with a big RED sticker stating ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED] on my doorstep before. They did try to hide it by putting the doormat over it, but still, 1000 rounds of ammunition?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by whgoodman
UPS has left 1000 rounds of 9mm ammunition [shipped in a box with a big RED sticker stating ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED] on my doorstep before. They did try to hide it by putting the doormat over it, but still, 1000 rounds of ammunition?
Sooo... Are you an assassin?

I'm just a home theatre geek that likes pissing off his neighbours. Actually, no, because of the neighbour thing, I haven't used my FedEx-delivered sub much and keep it turned down when I do, which kinda defeats the point of a subwoofer. Anyone wanna buy a lightly used subwoofer? I promise I won't leave it on your doorstep if nobody is home.

whgoodman
Apr 25, 2006, 06:14 PM

Nope. Asassins use a 22 caliber. I just pin shoot and general target shoot. You'd be amazed at how fast you can go through 1000 rounds. Still shouldn't be left on the front porch unattended when it clearly states that a signature is required.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

So Kaze0 any update?
~Mike

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 06:59 PM

fedex stole my ibook...they said it was delivered, no notice on my door, no one ever came to my door the whole day. I went to the terminal and they said it was mis-loaded. the next day i called at 5am and they said it had been stolen...yay fedex

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2006, 07:21 PM

UPS will reimburse the sender (which may be the sender's agent, like a UPS Store), NOT THE RECIPIENT. It's in the fine print; that's why it's fine print.

If it's a package that's supposed to be signed for and they leave it, THEY have to take responsibility. It's their rule, and one that they follow pretty closely. Note that FedEx recommends using their faster "Courier" service for high value items because there are signatures required at every step in the process.

Typically the big carriers find the packages eventually. If you make a big enough stink, they usually move faster.

In competition, it doesn't take much time at all to go through 1000 rounds; 9mm, .22, 5.56mm....whatever. But as whgoodman says, ammunition should NOT just be left. Bad, BAD of the carrier to leave it.

Oh, OUR FedEx driver has my loyalty. When my wife's iBook was supposed to be delivered the next day, we went out for a little bit. It turned out that FedEx was a little faster than expected; there was a nice little "we tried to deliver" tag on the door. We resigned ourselves to waiting until a redelivery attempt and started doing other things. Then the doorbell rings. OUR FedEx driver has my wife's iBook! He says he was on his way back to the station and figured he'd try again. Hurray!

As with everything, it's about the people. Good people give you good experiences, bad people make your life miserable.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 07:58 PM

UPS broke a $10,000 piece of equipment the geology dept. at my school shipped back to the manufacturer for repairs. UPS is refusing to pay for the fact they dropped it even though it was insured for the full amount. This machine, to make thin sections of rocks, was bolted to a wooden crate so it could not move around during shipping. UPS delivered it and the bolts were all broken which destroyed the machine in the process. It takes a large fall to shear some very thick bolts in half. Bad thing is this machine is very fragile and was being shipped back for a shaft being off 2 microns. Needless to say it didn't fair well in the fall.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 08:12 PM

My fave was when I was sitting in a bus by the plane watching as the guys unloaded some luggage. I saw this large square box that had big read FRAGILE! stickers all over the thing.I watched as the luggage guy threw the package 5 feet into the air onto the top of the pile of luggage.

The SMASH still resonates in my head whenever I think about it. Needless to say, the thing was totally destroyed. I think it must have been partially glass, because it sounded like several panes of glass shattering into a zillion pieces.

sabrejim  (op)
Apr 26, 2006, 07:35 AM

Update...

Called UPS for the billionth time and they tell me to sell the seller to call them to start an investigation. They still didn't have the signature or delivery address.... Talk to Amazon and they send what I assume to be a stock email saying the package is lost and they are shipping a replacement at no cost. Whoever stole that is in for a surprise, it's a HD DVD so I doubt they are gonna be able to play it, unless they stole a HD DVD player too...

So apparently my luck with actually getting HD DVD's is awful. Ordered 5 from Amazon so far. The first 2 weren't shipping so I cancelled and reordered 1, the other one wouldnt let me cancel and of course it didnt ship despite being in stock. Called about that one and they upgrade it to one day shipping, still doesnt ship. Call again and they have to cancel it and reorder. It ships the next day to the wrong address because they reordered it to my other mailing address. Same thing happens with Million Dollar Baby. Except this is over a weekend, that should be arriving today. Then Apollo 13 is this whole UPS fiasco.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 08:43 AM

I had a friend in high school who would send faulty equipment through the mail to people in the next town over, and then complain when it didn't work. He insured it for as much as possible. He took in quite a bit of cash doing this before UPS changed its policy about sending used computer equipment through the mail. He was a really butthead.

sabrejim  (op)
Apr 26, 2006, 08:46 AM

Why even send faulty equipment? Why not just ship working equipment or bricks?

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 26, 2006, 08:54 AM

I shipped a computer via UPS several years ago. It was left on the person's porch, even though it was sent with signature required, and stolen before the person got home. It took a couple weeks, but UPS paid the claim.

My biggest problem with UPS is that they won't leave packages at my apartment leasing office, even though I ask them to. The UPS guy tells me that the office tells him not to leave packages there, but the office tells me its fine to do so. I don't trust UPS because it seems like every time I use them there is some problem with delivery or receiving. FedEx has been a mostly positive experience.

Its been years since I last used DHL, but I've heard horror storries from a friend who orders equipment from a company that only uses their services. He has threatened to start ordering from a different company if they don't begin offering a different shipper, due to lost/delayed packages.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
UPS will reimburse the sender (which may be the sender's agent, like a UPS Store), NOT THE RECIPIENT. It's in the fine print; that's why it's fine print.
I wouldn't really call it fine print - it's plain logic. The sender is the customer, not the recipient. They had a contract for services with the sender, so they must resolve any issues with that person.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 09:04 AM

I've seen what UPS does with packages sent through BU Mail Services... can we say package football?

They ended up on my lab **** list because of the amount of crap we had to take.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I had a friend in high school who would send faulty equipment through the mail to people in the next town over, and then complain when it didn't work. He insured it for as much as possible. He took in quite a bit of cash doing this before UPS changed its policy about sending used computer equipment through the mail. He was a really butthead.

"mail fraud? bwahahaha."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 03:12 PM

Apple sometimes ships with Sameday Right-O-Way in Canada. Needless to say, they are never "same day" and rarely "right away", and their tracking system is completely useless.

At least with FedEx and UPS, their tracking systems are reasonable (although not perfect either).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
My fave was when I was sitting in a bus by the plane watching as the guys unloaded some luggage. I saw this large square box that had big read FRAGILE! stickers all over the thing.I watched as the luggage guy threw the package 5 feet into the air onto the top of the pile of luggage.

The SMASH still resonates in my head whenever I think about it. Needless to say, the thing was totally destroyed. I think it must have been partially glass, because it sounded like several panes of glass shattering into a zillion pieces.
Wait, on a plane? You're telling me someone was dumb enough to check a box full of glass as luggage on a plane?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Wait, on a plane? You're telling me someone was dumb enough to check a box full of glass as luggage on a plane?!
Stupid yes, but nonetheless it was amusing to watch... I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it looked to me from the box like it could it have been some sort of thing you hang on the wall. The box was hefty, but not hefty enough I guess.

Anyways, I would have hoped that anyone with half a brain would not throw something marked "fragile" 5 feet into the air. I've seen FedEx and UPS throw boxes several feet too, but never one with 15 bright red fragile stickers on it.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2006, 05:13 PM

You should see what happens with your packages while in transit with UPS. I used to work for them. To a UPS employee, that package is just a brown box and the words FRAGILE is just a distraction from reading the label. Sad, yes. When you see thousands of boxes in a day, it's just another box, not your prescious new gadget. That's not an excuse, just an explanation. I've seen small packages used to kick "field goals" into the back of a truck. I've seen packages jam up on a conveyer belt or a schute and the only way to get them loose is virtually destroying one or more of them.

I had a lawnmower engine put loosely in a box fall and bounce of my head (luckily it hit my head). It crushed about 4 other packages as it landed. That was the loader's fault for putting it on the top. The damged packages were just put out on the catwalk for taping and then sent on their way.

I forget where, but UPS used to have an auction for unclaimed/lost/undeliverable packages after a certain amount of time. You bid on the truckload and get what you get.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

jersey
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 05:36 PM

I used to work customer service at a mail-order place and one time ups left a package on the steps of a house... that had burned down.

While the package was in transit the house burned completely down...only leaving behind the concrete steps.

good enough for them apparently.

sabrejim  (op)
Apr 26, 2006, 06:32 PM

Continued...
I come home and the package is sitting at my door... Not damaged, not opened, just sitting there perfectly.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 06:39 PM

OK- my story. I place an order shipping UPS. I'm not home when they try to deliver- they leave a note- I sign and authorize- next day- no package- another note- for a signature. I sign and authorize- next day no package. New note: Pick up at office. The next day- I leave work early and drive across town- wait and find out my package is out for delivery. I show the note. She shrugs. She authorizes delivery and I go home. Another note. Pick up at office. I call, they confirm. Next day- I go, it is out for delivery. Finally she makes him deliver it to my work.

I lost $50 in wages for a package that cost $.00 to ship.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 07:07 PM

<OT>
Originally Posted by ghporter
But as whgoodman says, ammunition should NOT just be left. Bad, BAD of the carrier to leave it.
Are you training a new dog this week?
</OT>

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2006, 08:37 PM

I don't use "bad" in training dogs. "NO!" is much better. But I could be persuaded to find a cattle prod for a common carrier's driver who leaves ammunition out where it could be pilfered.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

whgoodman
Apr 26, 2006, 09:17 PM

That was my thought at the time. You'd be amazed at how little space 1000 rounds of 9mm ammunition takes up. They didn't even try to hide it well and leave me a note. Just on the front porch with the door mat over it like it was supposed to tent up over something the size of two bricks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules