Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook hd can problably be replaced without voiding the warranty

Macbook hd can problably be replaced without voiding the warranty
Dr.Michael
May 20, 2006, 05:29 AM

I have posted this discovery as an answer to another thread, but it seems to be too hidden. This is important and surely of general interest. So here it is:

According to the collection of self service manuals on the apple pages, users are only allowed to replace RAM, the L-shaped RAM door and the battery. But removing the hd is only a very small step once the RAM door is removed.

If you have a look into the Memory replacement instructions http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...Memory_DIY.pdf, you find this:

"Note: Before you can remove the hard drive, you must remove the battery and RAM door." (top of page 4).

So, this is the answer I assume! It is an official Apple do it yourself manual, and it says explicitely that you can remove the harddrive. This means also that the warranty will not be voided if you do it.

Right? Opinions?
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 20, 2006 at 06:34 AM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 05:51 AM

The article you linked to goes to a 'page not found', 'looking for something at apple?' page
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 06:31 AM

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Dr.Michael  (op)
May 20, 2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
The article you linked to goes to a 'page not found', 'looking for something at apple?' page
Indeed, there was a colon at a place where it shouldn't.
Fixed.

dazzla
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 06:36 AM

The next step for me is actually finding a 120GB 7200RM 8MB cache SATA 2.5" hard drive, because everything I've found isn't SATA.

Shame the Seagate perpendicular 160GB SATA 2.5" drive isn't out yet either (at least in the UK).

Dr.Michael  (op)
May 20, 2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
The next step for me is actually finding a 120GB 7200RM 8MB cache SATA 2.5" hard drive, because everything I've found isn't SATA.

Shame the Seagate perpendicular 160GB SATA 2.5" drive isn't out yet either (at least in the UK).
Yes. I have bought the 120 GB Seagate PATA for my tibook some months ago. On one hand its nice that MacBooks have SATA, but for me - - I will have to buy a new drive for a MacBook. Originally I bought the drive because I thought it might last for a while (concerning space and warranty).

Lucky is who will buy my Tibook .

amazing
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 11:19 AM

Dr Michael: Slip the PATA drive into a fw-400 case and put the original HD back into the Ti. If you no longer have the original HD, just buy a decent smaller HD. You'll at least recoup some of your money.

Given the ease with which the HD can be replaced, Apple has no way of knowing whether the HD has been replaced, and so there's no way to void the applecare. Replace with original HD before sending it in for service. In the meantime, put the original HD in a fw-400 case.

With new models, Apple has always been late in putting documentation up on the website. Details emerge weeks and months later. Prediction: a KB doc will eventually show up on the website stating that the HD is user serviceable. Has happened loads of times over the introduction of many models.

Dr.Michael  (op)
May 22, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
Dr Michael: Slip the PATA drive into a fw-400 case and put the original HD back into the Ti. If you no longer have the original HD, just buy a decent smaller HD. You'll at least recoup some of your money.
Thanks for your tips amazing.
Unfortunately I have more than enough external storage already. I have a 2.5 inch external firewire/usb drive to carry around and a 3.5 inch external drive for my backups.
What I need is internal storage. So I think I will have to find someone who pays a little more for the tibook. That should not be a problem due to the great and fast drive. I have found out that many people pay more only for the certitude that they buy a powerbook with a very quiet drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules