Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > IMPORTANT : 24" iMac = NO BOOTCAMP XP

IMPORTANT : 24" iMac = NO BOOTCAMP XP
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 06:48 PM

I know cross posting is frowned upon but I think this is quite important here too.

AT THE MOMENT THERE IS NO STRAIGHTFORWARD WAY OF GETTING XP INSTALLED ON THE 24" iMAC USING BOOTCAMP*.

The Windows XP SP2 installer CD DOES NOT support the minimum resolution of the 24" screen. This means that from the very start, (until the Apple drivers can be loaded from the bootcamp driver disk) there is NO DISPLAY what so ever.

Apple support thread

Wish this had been publicised as a problem earlier then I would have held off buying my nice new 24" until after it had been solved. I may try and return it (as I do a fair bit in XP), carry on using my 20" and buy one AGAIN once this has been resolved.

thebasian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 03:41 PM

all you need to do to install bootcamp / win xp on a 24" imac is connect an external display and use the external display until you get the bootcamp drivers installed.
thanks everyone,
PowerMax Computers, Experts in Used, New, and Refurbished Macs and Mac Accessories

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2006, 07:29 PM

It's not a "problem" but rather a lack of a feature in BETA SOFTWARE. It's just a driver issue. Of course if you had bought the 24" iMac expressly for the purpose of running XP on it, they you're bound to be disappointed.

I can't say anything about the (rather surly) discussion you linked to. There should be NOTHING different in the basic installation, but some OEMs customize the available driverson their XP install discs for their own hardware, so that could have something to do with it. If someone had guaranteed, repeatable success with a specific driver, I'd be willing to post how to get it and how to slipstream it onto a new install disc.

So beat the bushes and find someone with a successful, repeatable install on a 24" iMac and we'll get rolling.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 08:42 AM

PC Magazine ran BootCamp on the 24" iMac just fine.

The 24-inch iMac also runs Boot Camp Beta, just like other Intel-based Macs. Windows on the iMac is as snappy as I expected, with initial numbers that are pretty good. The iMac provides a much better gaming platform with Win XP, since Doom 3 for Windows runs natively on the Intel platform. With Boot Camp, the iMac turned in a stellar 127 fps at 1,024-by-768 on Doom 3, though its scores were less than ideal at 1,600-by-1,200. This didn't surprise me, because a dual-card graphics solution is preferable if you want to play smoothly at higher resolutions, but it's nice being able to run 1,600-by-1,200 at all on an all-in-one (the iMac's display supports up to 1,920-by-1,600 resolution). And the system played Splinter Cell at a smooth 48 fps at 1,024-by-768. The iMac completed the Windows Encoder test in five and a half minutes, landing it in the high-end multimedia class—which is fitting, considering its almost $3,000 price tag. It is also a great Photoshop performer: In Windows, the iMac completed Photoshop tests in 57 seconds flat, which again puts it in the high-powered multimedia class.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 08:49 AM

I don't understand. I use a 24inch screen at home and my XP installed just fine... Why would it be any different on a Mac?

Does the OP even tried to install it on a 24inch iMac or is this just garbage pulled from an Apple thread to raise an "awareness" to a non-issue.

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 09:00 AM

I've also seen a 24" iMac (7600) running Boot Camp. Just make sure it's 1.1.1 and it works fine.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I don't understand. I use a 24inch screen at home and my XP installed just fine... Why would it be any different on a Mac?
Drivers, implementation, etc.

Does the OP even tried to install it on a 24inch iMac or is this just garbage pulled from an Apple thread to raise an "awareness" to a non-issue.
I've reports by several people in various spots saying the same thing. However, I've also seen reports by many others now saying it worked fine for them.

Clearly, this is not a universal problem, but it does occur.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 10:20 AM

So.....buy Parallels ? It's a much better solution all round, except if you're hoping to play games.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
So.....buy Parallels ? It's a much better solution all round, except if you're hoping to play games.
There's hope yet:

The next version, due to hit beta by year's end, will include:

A groundbreaking new user interface that will make running Windows on a Mac easier and more productive than ever before.
Never before seen security and management tools
Capability to burn CDs and DVDs inside virtual machines
Fast 3D graphics support via support for OpenGL and DirectX. You'll be able to run games at full speed without leaving your OS X desktop!
An ACPI BIOS that provides the ability to run Microsoft Windows Vista

NOTE: For our Windows customers, Vista will be supported as a primary OS as well as a guest

More cool stuff that I can't tell you about right now.
Oh, and did I mention that we're working on Parallels Server for Mac? Look for that around the turn of the year as well.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 22, 2006 at 10:37 AM. )

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 11:49 PM

I installed boot camp with no problems at all on my brand new 24" imac. however, parallels crashes the system when I try to start the VM. Odd.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by HAGEhead
I installed boot camp with no problems at all on my brand new 24" imac. however, parallels crashes the system when I try to start the VM. Odd.
Same here. Paralles throws a kerenel panic. Anyone try Vista on their 24" yet?

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 01:43 PM

You could try to slipstream the drivers into a custom install cd made in parallels. (nliteos.com)
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sieb
You could try to slipstream the drivers into a custom install cd made in parallels. (nliteos.com)
I can't even get Parallels to work without taking down the whole OS.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
I can't even get Parallels to work without taking down the whole OS.
Update build 1910 which removes the memory restrictions works like a charm besides the fact that I can't get any of the internet options to work.
However Bootcamp booted and installed XP SP2 without any problems, besides my apple bluetooth mouse would connect and then not work.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 25, 2006, 08:23 AM

glassman, have you tried reloading the Bluetooth driver? There's a thread on it here somewhere...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Update build 1910
To clarify, for the others...

The version on the public site is 1848. It does not work on 64-bit Macs. There was a 1898 build linked on that site as well. It does work on 64-bit Macs, but required limiting the system to 2 GB RAM. They now have the 1910 internal build which works on 64-bit Macs without that memory limitation.

I can't get any of the internet options to work.
My wireless LAN works fine on my 24". Wired does not. Strange, cuz if anything I would have expected the opposite.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 1, 2006, 05:35 AM

I'm having a weird problem with XP and my 24". My Bluetooth keyboard isn't connected on startup, I have to turn it off then on to get it to notice it.

The keyboard just isn't working as it should actually, the eject and brightness etc aren't working as they did when I had XP on my Macbook. When I tried to install the keyboard manually with the apple setup it said there was no device found :/

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
I'm having a weird problem with XP and my 24". My Bluetooth keyboard isn't connected on startup, I have to turn it off then on to get it to notice it.

The keyboard just isn't working as it should actually, the eject and brightness etc aren't working as they did when I had XP on my Macbook. When I tried to install the keyboard manually with the apple setup it said there was no device found :/
I couldn't get mine to work at all. I've thought about picking up an USB keyboard for cheap but it's a less than ideal solution.

When I downloaded the latest software updates which required a restart, I was surprised to find my computer booting into XP on restart. However the bluetooth keyboard worked that one and only time and I have no idea why. I hope there is a better solution or fix for it soon. For now the updated Parallels works fine and dandy until I get itch to try out the windoze games.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
There's hope yet:

The next version, due to hit beta by year's end, will include:

A groundbreaking new user interface that will make running Windows on a Mac easier and more productive than ever before.
Never before seen security and management tools
Capability to burn CDs and DVDs inside virtual machines
Fast 3D graphics support via support for OpenGL and DirectX. You'll be able to run games at full speed without leaving your OS X desktop!
An ACPI BIOS that provides the ability to run Microsoft Windows Vista

NOTE: For our Windows customers, Vista will be supported as a primary OS as well as a guest

More cool stuff that I can't tell you about right now.
Oh, and did I mention that we're working on Parallels Server for Mac? Look for that around the turn of the year as well.
You'll never be able to run games full speed under VM's. I'm putting my money on WINE stuff or Boot Camp.

Even on Windows under VMWare which does do 3D acceleration it doesn't work that well for gaming.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bryoung
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla

I am having the same problem. I installed the drivers twice and it still doesn't work.

BTW...I didn't have any problems installing XP on my 24" iMac. I even installed Vista RC1 on my 20" with bootcamp without any problems.

B.
24" iMac 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 20" iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo ~ 13" MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo

Forum Links
Forum Rules