Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chronic Coughing help...

Chronic Coughing help...
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 AM

I have been coughing since about mid november. I have been the dr. twice, ran through two rounds of antibiotics. I no longer feel sick, but I have a lingering anyone know of a good home remedy to cure this cough?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 AM

Start smoking.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks, but I think I'll pass.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 11:00 AM

Acid reflux will sometimes cause a chronic cough (especially if it happens more at night).
Certain medications (like a certain type of blood pressure medicine) can cause chronic cough.
Somtimes other lingering infections like Pertussis (and there have been a few sporadic outbreaks of it) can cause it, if the right antibiotics aren't used.
Heck, even the dry, winter air, which is worsened in the house when you turn on your heater, could give you a persistant cough. (You could try using a room vaporizer if you think it's just dry air.)

More importantly, did you let your doctor know? If not, that probably should be your first step...
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
Thanks, but I think I'll pass.
Keep on coughing then

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cipher13
Jan 8, 2007, 11:11 AM

I have the same problem... it started a while ago now so I can't really tie it to a certain period of illness or anything. It's also accompanied by troubled breathing (mostly when I go to bed, and am laying down - what time I go to bed has no impact on it, seemingly).

I did have asthma when young but not since I was 6 or 7, though a Ventolin spray does seem to relieve the breathing issues.

I should probably go see a doctor too, but I hate going to them.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I have the same problem... it started a while ago now so I can't really tie it to a certain period of illness or anything. It's also accompanied by troubled breathing (mostly when I go to bed, and am laying down - what time I go to bed has no impact on it, seemingly).

I did have asthma when young but not since I was 6 or 7, though a Ventolin spray does seem to relieve the breathing issues.

I should probably go see a doctor too, but I hate going to them.
GE reflux can give some symptoms (cough/choking/trouble breathing) like you are having. You should see your doctor, but in the meantime, one way to see if it reflux is to try something for acid on a nightly basis (like Prilosec OTC) for 1-2weeks and see if the problem improves.

But again, see (or call) your doctor.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 11:51 AM

Was it Bronchitis? I've had two attacs of that in the last years and the cough usually takes a couple of months to go away, even after you stop actually "feeling sick".

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 11:59 AM

I have the same thing, and I'm surprised your doctor hasn't just given you a broncho-steroid inhaler. You're having "broncho spasms" due to the persistence of the cough after your initial infection. I get this probably once every two years and it sucks majorly, but the inhaler takes care of it in a bout a week.

It's not acid reflux or asthma, I'll bet dollars to donuts.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hmmm...I've had a really runny nose for almost a year. Friends all say it's allergies, but I'm not so sure. I suppose I should follow the leads of others and actually seek a qualified medical opinion.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 12:15 PM

tbc ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM

SJ has had a chronic cough for some time. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules