Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best TV and Internet provider in NYC?

Best TV and Internet provider in NYC?
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 02:26 PM

My wife and I are moving to New York City (Manhattan) at the end of July and while we have pretty much everything sorted out, we don't have any internet or TV provider setup yet.

Currently in Florida we're with Brighthouse who does a good job with TV (about 20 or so HD channels) and a 10mb internet line for $100 a month.

Does anyone who lives (or used to) in the New York area know which TV and Internet providers would be best?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 02:35 PM

I know dcmacdaddy moved there in the past year. He might have a good suggestion.

Rumor
May 7, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I know dcmacdaddy moved there in the past year. He might have a good suggestion.
Running low on creative juices? You sig lacks your usual flair.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 04:00 PM

Hey my sig is a solid work of design.

Not everything needs to be loud and in your face.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 7, 2007, 05:35 PM

Too much foreground.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 07:21 PM

Well, the main question is how much choice you'll actually have. It depends on who's wired your building. In most places in Manhattan that'll be Time Warner for "RoadRunner" cable, and Verizon for DSL/maybe FiOS if they've wired it.

According to fits of fancy, either of those might let someone else resell their access (I got "Earthlink cable" over Time Warner's lines for awhile), but AFAIK they're the main games in town on the island. In other boroughs Optimum Online is available, and reputedly very good.

But really you'll have to check the various ISPs by entering your exact address into their lookup tools, as it really will vary on a building-by-building basis.

And: Welcome!

Rumor
May 7, 2007, 07:28 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 08:00 PM

@Dakar3
Thanks for the shout-out but I am a n00b when it comes to life in the City. Mithras has the best suggestions, especially as he seems to know Manhattan and its broad-band connectivity options.

@mdc
Welcome to New York. I am out in Brooklyn (Yo!) renting a floor in a brownstone and, for me, I've got Verizon DSL (3.0MBs @ $29.99/month). But, I kept EarthLink as my e-mail account provider as I have been with them for almost 12 years now and didn't want to give up my established e-mail addresses.

There are a number--I think it is 7 or 8--free wireless hot-spots in Manhattan public parks. I know there is one in the park (Bowling Green) right in front of my building and I think there is one in Battery Park as well. As for TV providers, I have no clue. I haven't owned a TV in almost a decade so I couldn't even begin to tell you what the major channels are here in New York. I watch the local all-news station at work (NY1) but that is the only channel I know.

Where are you going to live in Manhattan?
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; May 7, 2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fixed a typo)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Too much foreground.
Also, I think I jarred the camara when I made the sig, so it's a little out of focus.

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
@Dakar3
Thanks for the shout-out but I am a n00b when it comes to life in the City. Mithras has the best suggestions, especially as he seems to know Manhattan and its broad-band connectivity options.
I think I only remember your location because of its now amusing contradiction to your name.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
@Dakar3
I think I only remember your location because of its now amusing contradiction to your name.
Yeah, everyone was pushing me to change it to nycmacdaddy after leaving DC. But the dc also stands for my initials so I'm still good. There is just no longer the dual relevance of name and place with my nick; Now it's just the name that is relevant.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 08:03 AM

I only pushed before I knew that it also stood for your initials.

I may have proposed for you to legally change your name to something with the initials NYC, though.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Where are you going to live in Manhattan?
I can't make it, buy my wife is going up next weekend to finalize apartments. We have a few that we're deciding out of. I am not exactly sure of all the area names, but I know some are around Greenwich Village.
I spoke with TimeWarner and they said they will be able to give us internet and TV. Everything seems to be the same as our current BrightHouse, so that works.

Originally Posted by Mithras
And: Welcome!
Thanks. Really excited about moving.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 11:03 AM

So downtownish. It'll be really fun!
What's prompting the move?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 11:06 AM

Fear of Tornados.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
So downtownish. It'll be really fun!
What's prompting the move?
My wife used to live in New York and I used to live in London. We met here in Florida but we both miss the city.
We went to New York last year on a holiday and decided to look into moving. Around this time last year we started planning to move but I went for a job which sounded great career move etc, etc. Things haven't panned out quite like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules