Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Installer.app

Installer.app
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 09:58 AM

I came across Installer.app on the Macnn homepage. It's a single script that you run in the Terminal to Jailbreak your phone and install an app called Installer on your iPhone's home screen.

Once you have installer you have one press to install 3rd party applications. I installed Lights Off and an eBook reader.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 01:41 PM

I'm going to try this when I get home tonight. What third party apps are available for the iPhone now? What happens when you install more than 4 apps? Can you scroll down the homepage to access the other apps?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I came across Installer.app on the Macnn homepage. It's a single script that you run in the Terminal to Jailbreak your phone and install an app called Installer on your iPhone's home screen.

Once you have installer you have one press to install 3rd party applications. I installed Lights Off and an eBook reader.
This is really interesting. How did you do your ebook reader? And how did you get the ebook documents onto your iPhone?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 02:52 PM

It's really a shame that Apple isn't taking the lead on this issue. Now the "underground" of the internet is in charge of iPhone app development and the experience just isn't as good as what it might be if Apple were more open about iPhone development.

-Q-
Aug 20, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
It's really a shame that Apple isn't taking the lead on this issue. Now the "underground" of the internet is in charge of iPhone app development and the experience just isn't as good as what it might be if Apple were more open about iPhone development.
I'm wondering if they're not opening the phone up for development because it's not technically 'done' yet? They're going to be adding quite a few new features in the near future I bet. I wonder if they'll be more open about it once it's closer to 'finished?'

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 03:44 PM

Also, if the iPhone is running off the leopard codebase, there may be APIs and other runtime features that they don't want to expose yet.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
This is really interesting. How did you do your ebook reader? And how did you get the ebook documents onto your iPhone?
iphoneebooks - Google Code

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 04:40 PM

I predict that Apple will release a real sdk by the end of the year, perhaps as soon as leopard is released. I agree that they are holding off because of the Leopard code base. The iPhone is some sort of half-tiger-half-leopard hybrid as evidenced by the lack of to-dos and notes. Leopard is drastically changing how these are dealt with and it will be required for them to function on the iPhone.

Apple also needs some interface for allowing the user to easily load apps on the phone and organize the home screen. This will obviously be done through iTunes.

We might get widgets before we get full apps.

Just some random thoughts.

kman

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 06:13 PM

I installed Lights Off. Those harder levels are infuriating. It would be so sweet if I had native epocrates or dr. drugs or some medical reference. I access up to date (a medical knowledgebase) via the internet on EDGE, but it makes me login everyday and obviously local iPhone data would be far faster than having to wait and load info.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 04:56 PM

A tip for those that use installer.app. Once you have things running, install the OpenSSH package, and then the BSD Subsystem. Doing these two will get you SFTP access to the phone. So you can then use your favorite FTP program, and login to the phone over wireless.

- lookup the phone IP in the wireless settings
- point your FTP at that, with username root, password dottie, port 22

You can then play with the file system all you like. Put in ringtones, pull out graphics and make new ones, etc. For ebooks, you make a new folder in /var/root/Media called "EBooks"

Forum Links
Forum Rules