Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 19)
MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 07:00 PM

Do you prefer cases (attaché-style) or backpacks?

Have you looked into Booq bags? They are fantastic!

Well made, well designed and they fit all of your accessories too. They have both cases and backpacks and a size to fit almost every laptop.

pnsji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 01:58 PM

I owned the booq sleeve XL for my powerbook 17", the fit and finish is flawless.
I am ordering one for my macbook pro 17" now!

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by pnsji
I owned the booq sleeve XL for my powerbook 17", the fit and finish is flawless.
I am ordering one for my macbook pro 17" now!
If you mean the Vyper XL for your Powerbook, then you'll need the XL2 for your new 17" MBP.

If you had the Powersleeve XL for your Powerbook, then the same Powersleeve model will fit perfectly for your new MBP as well.

FREE Shipping at ReadyandSold.com

pnsji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTalk
If you mean the Vyper XL for your Powerbook, then you'll need the XL2 for your new 17" MBP.

If you had the Powersleeve XL for your Powerbook, then the same Powersleeve model will fit perfectly for your new MBP as well.

FREE Shipping at ReadyandSold.com
Yupe, I was talking about Vyper.

Saunatonttu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 07:26 PM

I was thinking of a shoulder or messenger bag, or sleeve and just "normal" backpack.

Or then SFBags Sleevecase with shoulder strap, I don't know It would be nice, because you could carry only the laptop and if you have a bag with you, you can remove the strap and put it in the bag (right?).

I don't like any ordinary laptop-bags used by 40-year-old office workers, if you know what I mean (I'm only 15).

I wonder when 12" Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo is coming

edit. One thing I like in Chrome Bags is the buckle, here's Metropolis':

edit2. Maybe I won't buy a Chrome bag, shipping costs over $100
( Last edited by Saunatonttu; Sep 29, 2006 at 08:51 PM. )
Saunatonttu

Apple 12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz | 768Mb | 80Gb | Airport | Bluetooth | Superdrive
PC AMD Athlon 64 3000+ | 1024Mb | 200Gb | Radeon 9800 Pro | 17" CRT | Cd-asema
iPod Shuffle 1Gb

Saunatonttu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 12:21 PM

I think I'm going for Timbuk2's Pro Series Messenger (all x-pac). Although all black isn't so stylish, x-pac sounds good.

"What's the difference between the x-Pac material and Ballistic or Cordura?

x-Pac, like our Ballistic and Cordura is a durable nylon. However, due to a three part laminate process it is three times lighter than Ballistic and Cordura and it is waterproof up to 200 pounds per square inch."

I don't know how much is "200 pounds per square inch" but sure it can keep the rain out, right? Maybe I could order Classic Messenger same time, shipping is just $5 more with two bags. Then I need to find a sleeve, and maybe I'll buy Waterfield SleeveCase or Booq Vyper

BTW: Does anyone have any discount, coupon or promotional code (for Timbuk2)?
Saunatonttu

Apple 12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz | 768Mb | 80Gb | Airport | Bluetooth | Superdrive
PC AMD Athlon 64 3000+ | 1024Mb | 200Gb | Radeon 9800 Pro | 17" CRT | Cd-asema
iPod Shuffle 1Gb

mreal03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 01:11 PM

I am looking for a bag to fit my 17" macbook pro with my applesac sleeve. I have looked at many bags but i am leaning towards a crumpler cashmere blazer or a timbuk2 commute xl. I am open to suggestions though, so please any help will be appreciated. thanks

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 10:00 PM

I have also been looking for a bag I like since I got my 17" MacBook Pro in May. Everything I have found that I've liked is either too small for the 17", or the size of a freakin' suitcase. Can anyone point me to the smallest bag that will hold a 17" MacBook Pro, power supply, and Front Row remote? A vertical format would be ideal, but not necessary. Thank you very much in advance.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Burn
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 07:59 PM

If you have a 17" MBP, I would recommend against the Cargo bag series from sfbags.com.

I bought the full package with sleeve and extra small bag and all.... only to find after I received it via courier from SF that the 17" book doesn't actually fit in the laptop sleeve inside the bag. Their answer to my expensive surprise was "oh, sorry about that". (I didn't see anything that mentioned that limitation and I guess I got burned - I could have called them but I thought I read through every single page on their web site). So, the book sits in it's sleeve in the centre of the bag... Would be somewhat cavernous and pheonomenal if it performed properly, but it is pretty much just ANOTHER laptop bag now. Looking for another sometime soon.

YMMV.

HowEver
Oct 20, 2006, 10:16 AM

Does anyone have the Speck clear-like case for the MacBook Pro?

I saw a reference to marks being left by the "hooks" that hold it on, and I'm looking to find out if this is true in the real world.

Thanks!

15" MacBook Pro cases - Speck Products

rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 03:22 AM

I have the Timbuk2 17"/15" macbook & macbook Pro sleeve for $35 if anyone wants it.
Hope it's ok to post this.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 09:13 PM

On the Speck see thru case....I don't see much advantage over the Invisible Shield, except that you can make the computer look red.

HowEver
Oct 24, 2006, 11:35 AM

Speck offers a polycarbronate plastic hard case that you don't have to moisten and apply, you clip it on. More bump and shock protection, no soapy film applique.

Huge difference.

Still wondering about those "hooks" on the Speck case, though.

Originally Posted by Charles Bouldin View Post
On the Speck see thru case....I don't see much advantage over the Invisible Shield, except that you can make the computer look red.

(Edited typo.)
( Last edited by HowEver; Oct 25, 2006 at 01:53 PM. )

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 03:59 PM

HowEver, I just placed an order for the Speck SeeThru. When I get it I will try and let you know if it seems to leave permanent marks, etc. (that would seem to be a pretty significant flaw for a product specifically designed to help you avoid getting scuffs and damage to the case itself).

HowEver
Oct 26, 2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post
HowEver, I just placed an order for the Speck SeeThru. When I get it I will try and let you know if it seems to leave permanent marks, etc. (that would seem to be a pretty significant flaw for a product specifically designed to help you avoid getting scuffs and damage to the case itself).

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 04:23 PM

Hmmmm....I just want a sleeve.. I have a targus laptop backback that does the job for the moment. I just orderd my 15.4' mbp....I think I will go with the brethren or however you spell it.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

HowEver
Oct 31, 2006, 11:24 AM

The Apple Store in Toronto (the one at Yorkdale) has the MacBook Pro Speck case.

It wasn't what I was expecting. I guess reading about how protective it would be I thought it would be harder plastic, if not polycarbonate. At least it really was see-through (they had the red ones only). And the hooks are plastic. I didn't see what it looked like on an MBP, and the employee I talked to had never seen one in use either, nor knew about any testimonials.

So we'll be waiting on you, Elektrix.

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
The Apple Store in Toronto (the one at Yorkdale) has the MacBook Pro Speck case.

It wasn't what I was expecting. I guess reading about how protective it would be I thought it would be harder plastic, if not polycarbonate. At least it really was see-through (they had the red ones only). And the hooks are plastic. I didn't see what it looked like on an MBP, and the employee I talked to had never seen one in use either, nor knew about any testimonials.

So we'll be waiting on you, Elektrix.
I'm going to be sending mine back since they will be redesigning it for the new MBP's (to accommodate the new fw800 port, and possibly other changes as well).

However, there are some initial thoughts on it already:

darrengreen at macrumors has posted a minireview and pictures:

Speck SeeThru Case For Macbook Pro - Mini Review - Mac Forums

iLounge has posted some initial thoughts on it as well:

Speck’s SeeThru hard shell protects MacBook Pro (Updated) | iLounge

HowEver
Oct 31, 2006, 12:21 PM

Great, thanks!

Here's the iLounge reference:

Speck’s SeeThru hard shell protects MacBook Pro (Updated)
By Larry Angell | 10.26.06

imageIf you’re wanting to add some protection and a new look to your MacBook Pro, check out the SeeThru hard case from Speck Products. The longtime iPod accessory maker says the two-piece case features an “easy snap-on design” and protects the MacBook Pro from scratches and dings. The SeeThru is made from polycarbonate plastic, comes in clear or translucent red, and allows access to all ports and the disc drive. The case will set you back $40. Speck says a similar version is coming next month for the 13-inch MacBook.

Updated: From iLounge’s Jeremy Horwitz: Having used SeeThru now with a 15” MacBook Pro for several days, I have to say that I’m impressed - despite my initial concerns that the casing might trap heat and increase the already woeful issues my machine had with burning temperatures, it actually does the opposite: grooves on the bottom properly dissipate the heat and render the MBP capable of being used more comfortably on a bed. Speck’s design team also did a surprisingly good job of enhancing the computer’s aesthetic with the case, which has just enough accenting to bring out some of the nice details in the existing MBP shell - this is a good-looking enclosure.

There’s one and only one issue here in my mind: Apple markets the MBP as an inch-thick machine, and See-Thru basically chucks that out the window, turning my super-slim laptop into… well, a less slim, more non-Pro MacBook, but one that can actually be used on your lap. If you’re open to that compromise, you shouldn’t wait to try one of the SeeThrus - they’re great.

HowEver
Oct 31, 2006, 12:22 PM

And some of the macrumors reference:

For the price, I think it is a great buy. Outside of the tab scratching concern, I think this product is solid, and definately provides a benefit to those of us who are very wary of getting scratches on our MBPs.

ndtechie05
Nov 8, 2006, 02:04 AM

i should note that the new speck case will not fit the C2D MBPro's
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 07:30 PM

Just an FYI...

For anyone looking into the Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger... the 15" MacBook Pro fits perfectly!

rockadockus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 10:13 AM

I'm very late to this string but looking for a good messenger-type bag that might have an area inside especially for an ipod. Anyone know or seen anything like this?
I know I could throw it in any pocket but it's already scratched up as-is.

Any help is much appreciated.

DocAz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
Does anyone have the Speck clear-like case for the MacBook Pro?

I saw a reference to marks being left by the "hooks" that hold it on, and I'm looking to find out if this is true in the real world.

Thanks!

15" MacBook Pro cases - Speck Products
Very happy with the red Speck on my MBPro. Would buy for my 1.33Ghz PB if available. Seems fairly scratch resistant. SStill gfitls into larges cases (InCase) and I've taken it off twice with noe marks left on the MBPro.

I also think the red looks great!

Az

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 12:22 AM

i am looking for a backpack.
i need a goodone for a macbook pro 17.
i currently have a timbuk2 and i love it, but i have a bad back and my doctor reccomends a good backpack and padded straps...
please help me.

saosin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 07:39 PM

Just bought an STM Rebound for mbp 15inch. It's got this nice memory foam on it that when you push it, it caves in but the returns to its original form.

It's slightly too big around the width, i'd prefer that it fit very snugly.

Anyone know of any sleeves that fit really snug? i may return this one if i find something better

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 08:52 AM

i finally went with a BOOQ.
i really like it...
in my opinion the bottom line is that for backpacks, go with Booq...
messenger bags, timbuk2.

voth
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 06:02 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Timbuk 2 Blogger bag? I would be using it with a MacBook Pro.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 02:32 AM

i have a 17 timbuk2 that is excellent.
i am looking to seel it.. the bag is great.

HowEver
Dec 18, 2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks, much appreciated. Now to find the non-Pro version.

Originally Posted by DocAz View Post
Very happy with the red Speck on my MBPro. Would buy for my 1.33Ghz PB if available. Seems fairly scratch resistant. SStill gfitls into larges cases (InCase) and I've taken it off twice with noe marks left on the MBPro.

I also think the red looks great!

Az

arvinsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking for a sleek bag for my daily commutes. I have a 15' MBP.

Two crumpler products have caught my eye
1) The Skivvy
2) The Luncheon

I don't have much to carry besides the MBP, power cord, couple of documents and some pens, so I'm not worried about storage space.

Rather, I'm concerned whether the padding provided is sufficient; doesn't have to be bullet proof, but I'd like it to afford 'good' protection. Does anyone know? How does it compare to, say, the Embarrassment or Part or Parcel series?

I wouldn't mind getting the Part or Parcel if it wasn't so big; does it look 'smaller' with less stuff in it?

Thanks all!
( Last edited by arvinsd; Dec 20, 2006 at 10:41 AM. )

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 12:32 PM

what type backpack or messenger?

arvinsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 12:17 AM

messenger preferred, but I wouldn't mind a sleek backpack. All the crumpler ones look really bulgy; I don't need too much storage space

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 12:39 AM

I have similar minimal storage needs as you. While more of a shoulder bag than a messenger or backpack, I got the Brenthaven Metro for my 15" MBP. Serves me well, and the padding/protection system is very impressive.

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by arvinsd View Post
messenger preferred, but I wouldn't mind a sleek backpack. All the crumpler ones look really bulgy; I don't need too much storage space
I've been pretty satisfied with the Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger bag. My 15" MacBook Pro fits perfectly. I really like the custom option that allowed me to get it in the color scheme of my choice.
------------------
15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 11:42 PM

i have a timbuk2 and love it...
i am actually selling it because i had to get a backpack for work...

MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 07:59 PM

i use the waterfield designs cargo and love it. i bought the bundle, which comes with a sleeve and a "cableguy" (a pouch for cables, etc.). the quality is unprecedented--they are made in sf, guilt free. mine has the paragliding buckle which is easy to use and very sturdy. (you can also choose an airline buckle.) i can cram so much stuff in it. seriously nice bag.

SFBags - WaterField Designs - Laptop Bag - Messenger Bag - Briefcase - Travel Tote - Laptop Sleeve
SFBags - WaterField Designs - Cargo Bags - Messenger Bag - Laptop Sleeve - Laptop Bag - Cool Briefcase

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 03:39 AM

I use the Brenthaven Edge II case for my macbook pro. It's an awesome little case, which is thin like the macbookpro. Has room for my AC adapter and a small mouse, and is made out of a water resistant material for those times I get caught in the rain.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTalk View Post

FREE shipping on all Vyper cases in the US and Canada until September 30th

https://www.readyandsold.com/shopping/home.php?cat=250
I have a Vyper....not much protection at all
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2007, 03:36 PM

what are good looking apple like bags?

white with blue you know something that screams apple related?
can somebody point me in the right direction?

I have incase shoulder bag but i want something that wil match my macbook pro perfectly.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

Ruf993Turbo
Jan 27, 2007, 02:29 PM

How are the Vyper powersleeves?

jloader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 10:00 AM

Javizun,

You're likely to get robbed if you walk around with a laptop bag which screams, "I'm a lovely Mac, come and nick me!", however this is pretty sweet:

Apple Store - U.K. - LeBag for PowerBook 15” by be.ez

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 08:55 AM

i am trying to find out a good way to clean my silver booq bag...

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2007, 02:25 PM

I have a new 15" MacBook pro and the Marware sleeve I have for my old 15" PB does not really fit it...Kinda tight.
I was looking here and I think I really dig the Booq vyper thing so I think I would order it up.
But......

Can someone tell me why they seem to only ship via Fedex and no matter what, they order shoots up to like $140 if I try and get one sent here?
( Last edited by Daracle; Feb 3, 2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Cleared up my sentance)
Who reads this???

MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2007, 03:48 PM

Okay, I have a very nice laptop bag from Icon. I don't use it anymore because I now have a nice backpack for carrying it along with my school books. I also don't use it because carrying both my iBook and my school books in it caused the shoulder strap to break last semester repeatedly. But now I'd like to figure out a way to get it back in commission for trips and such, when I don't quite need my full backpack. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to use in place of the cheap strap it had, preferrably something inexpensive or that I could maybe piece together myself?

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2007, 08:19 PM

I ended up buying a hard sleeve for the MacBook Pro.

http://www.axio-usa.com/

I wish they had a black one but I had to get a silver. Its nice to finally have it bought though.
Who reads this???

f.duane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Daracle View Post
I ended up buying a hard sleeve for the MacBook Pro.
I'm thinking about buying this one, too. I have been using a Brenthaven backpack with my 12'' Powerbook (the version where the backpack had a separate sleeve - the perfect solution, don't understand why they scrapped that design), and now I'm looking for a new solution for my brand new MacBook Pro...
So I'm thinking about just another sleeve to use with the Brenthaven, and the axio Hardsleeve is high on the list. But I'm also thinking about a Fuse 06 (three years with the arguably most boring looking backpack ever seems enough at this point). I'm a graduate student though and have to carry some books and from time to time a scanner. Fits all nicely into the Brenthaven, but would it in the Fuse? Any experiences anyone? Would it be overkill (and even possible) to use a Fuse 06 in combination with the Hardsleeve? What's the outside measurements of the Hardsleeve?

MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 01:59 PM

Does anyone have one of these?

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Marware Sportfolio Sleeve for 15-inch MacBook Pro (Black)

I'm thinking of maybe picking up a sleeve for my soon-to-arrive G4 Titanium PowerBook to use in place of the weak looking one that came with my backpack, and I wanted to know if this one is nicely padded and if it'll fit my PowerBook even though it says it's for the MacBook Pros.

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

designdisease
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 11:01 AM

I confess because I am absoultely addicted to design and I am a designer myself,
I got involved in an extreme research for a unique laptop bag for my brand new MacBook Pro.
I looked at hundreds of nice possibilities and then I found this place. For obvious reasons
I had to wait a little with patience, but now everytime I walk in to the underground
everybody is looking! Check these guys, what they do is quite amazing.

http://www.zaumlab.com

fongyuen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 12:24 AM

can anyone suggest a backpack that's sturdy enough to carry both my mbp 15" and my wife's mb together? thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules