Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Canon Exposure Problem

Canon Exposure Problem
MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 11:37 PM

i have the Canon Rebel xt, i can change my apature up to 30 and down to 2.6 but somethimes it will only let me go to 5.6 or 22, ect...why is that?

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
i have the Canon Rebel xt, i can change my apature up to 30 and down to 2.6 but somethimes it will only let me go to 5.6 or 22, ect...why is that?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it might be because you do not have it set to full manual controls, my camera has four different modes, full manual, full auto, just manual shutter, and just manual aperture.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 03:11 AM

hmmm i thought you could only change it under manual, is there a "Full manual" that im not seeing? its the xt not the xti if that changes it

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 05:22 PM

lenses have maximum apertures (the smaller the better). zoom lenses sometimes have a range that changes. so a 70-200mm lens could be a ƒ3.5 at 70mm but ƒ5 at 200mm.

if this still doesn't address your problem, let me know and i'll splinter these last few posts off into a new thread.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Dec 24, 2006 at 05:31 PM. )

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 02:39 AM

dont worry about it its not that big of a prob. thanks tho

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 05:06 PM

This is probably too late, but there are conditions under which the light us either too great or too little to create a "correct" exposure. Depending on what mode your in, your camera won't let you create too small or too wide an aperture. Shooting at bright lights? Your camera might not let you open the aperture wide enough. Shooting in the dark? Then f/22 might not be the best best choice. I also think your focus can affect which aperture you can choose, but someone can correct me on that.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 13, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Synotic View Post
This is probably too late, but there are conditions under which the light us either too great or too little to create a "correct" exposure. Depending on what mode your in, your camera won't let you create too small or too wide an aperture. Shooting at bright lights? Your camera might not let you open the aperture wide enough. Shooting in the dark? Then f/22 might not be the best best choice. I also think your focus can affect which aperture you can choose, but someone can correct me on that.
Nope, focus has no affect on which aperture you can choose.

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
lenses have maximum apertures (the smaller the better). zoom lenses sometimes have a range that changes. so a 70-200mm lens could be a ƒ3.5 at 70mm but ƒ5 at 200mm.

if this still doesn't address your problem, let me know and i'll splinter these last few posts off into a new thread.
This is correct. However, lens have different maximum apertures at different focal lengths. For instance, the maximum aperture on my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm is 3.5, but at 55mm it is 5.6.

Edit - I just realized that what I said was already addressed - sorry.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
Nope, focus has no affect on which aperture you can choose.
Unless you're using a Macro lens...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 17, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Unless you're using a Macro lens...
Why is using a macro lens different from other SLR lenses and how they allow you which aperture you can (not should...that's a different discussion altogether) choose?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 03:32 PM

The closer you go (focus) with a macro lens the shallower your depth of field gets, no ? Because the lens moves away from the film (or sensor) you change your effective maximum aperture, for example your 2.8 becomes a 5.6 at 1:1.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules