Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Min-width in MSIE 7 (could someone help me out?)

Min-width in MSIE 7 (could someone help me out?)
Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 04:55 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a layout right now and I'm using the min-width property. I've researched a few solutions, and I found one that worked, but it relies on the star select hack, which I understand no longer works in MSIE 7, except in quirks mode. Do any of you guys have any min-width solutions that work with MSIE 6 and 7?

Here is my test case. And here is the same file with a strict doctype.

If any of you guys have access to MSIE 7, can you load the pages, and make the page width smaller and tell me if the min-width is taking effect? For reference, the page works fine in WebKit, Mozilla, and MSIE 6.

Thanks!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2007, 03:26 AM

IE7 supports min-width now, so just use your * html hack for IE6 and you should be fine.

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 07:01 PM

my favorite one is the javascript hack for css, which allows you to first set a regular value (for other browsers) and then (somewhere after it in the file) set width: expression() - with some javascript value in the parentheses - which other browsers will ignore, but IE will evaluate. 'course, the better solution would obviously be as stated above that IE 7 should fix the min-width thing, so not to hack it at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules