Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Beware the iPHONE hype....

Beware the iPHONE hype....
wendy18o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hello out there,

I wanted the iPhone mainly because of the hype and thinking I would be riding some cultural wave. But, it took me as many others, 36 hours to activate. As this finally occured, my regular cell, which I did not transfer but to which I had added a line for iPhone, went dead, and then those at ATT admitted they had switched my orange Cingular sim card with an ATT blue one, erasing five years of phone numbers. Alas.

So, after the waiting and after this loss, I was more than a little pissed, naturally. But I had my iPhone and all I can say is: WHERE ARE THE OTHER USERS WHO DETEST IT? No press or threads are given over to that.

Why I detest it: The glass is so hard. The finger typing is a joke. The face of Steve Jobs is haunting me. The hype was in no way deserved. You can download all yr email addresses, half of which I never use, but you can't (and anyway mine were gone) download your cell phone sim card addresses.

the iPhone Ipod sounds great BUT i couldn't download many from my 60 GB, in fact iTunes downloaded only songs or artists with the letter A. In addition, the earplugs hurt; they are not as good, by a long mile, as the new shuffle earphones and those you cannot use.

The glass case is smudged and the wiper/thingie does not much to clean it. But most of all, I feel like a total fool for all the work i did to buy something that is mostly akin to "The Emperor has no clothes." Curiously, everwhere I read, it's WOW, or GREAT when to me, it's a total ripp off. Anyone?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 05:33 PM

I will post my address. You send it to me. You are too stupid to own this device.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 05:37 PM

Huh, I love mine. Sounds like ATT screwed up your activation and ATT blew away your address book. Glass has been hard since it was invented. I can't comment on Steve Jobs haunting you, but I am sure that Michael Dell is similarly affected. A lot of people use their fingers to type. The fact that half of your email addresses are of no use to you is interesting, but since ATT vaporized them, it can't matter that much anyway. If you have a 60 gig iTunes library you can't listen to a full rotation of all of those songs for 7.4 years even if you never shut it off. Riding cultural waves is fun! Me, I'm part of the WOW its GREAT club!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by wendy18o View Post
ATT admitted they had switched my orange Cingular sim card with an ATT blue one, erasing five years of phone numbers. Alas.

half of which I never use, but you can't (and anyway mine were gone) download your cell phone sim card addresses.
I think you could have moved all your numbers from your old phone to your iPhone by using iSync to get the numbers from your old phone to the computer, then iTunes to get your numbers from the computer to the iPhone.

As for the people who don't like the iPhone they bought, I doubt there are very many of them. Most people do their research and try the damn thing out before they drop $500+ on them.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 06:00 PM

Its clear that the iPhone isn't for you. Its not a device meant for everyone. Some peoples wants and needs for a phone/media device are different than others. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of options out there to go around. Plus, this is not the last iPhone to be made. There will be many new and better versions to come.

I love mine though. Wouldn't give it up for any other option out there.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 06:10 PM

Why I detest it: The glass is so hard.
I returned my iPhone but this is the worst criticism I've read yet. What do you want? A nice gel screen?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2007, 06:14 PM

There are reasons to dislike the iPhone, and I'm sure it's not for everyone at this point, but those criticisms are very lame.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience - I can understand why that would tarnish your opinion of the iPhone. I would be totally bummed if I lost years of contact info! For myself, the transfer went smoothly and has kept in perfect sync with my computer.

When transfering music to the iPhone, a better technique would be to make a new playlist in iTunes (maybe call it iPhone playlist). If you got the 8GB iPhone, put about 6GB of music in the playlist, and then tell iTunes to sync to only that playlist. That way you have better control over what gets sync'd and you don't end up with only artists that begin with an "A."
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 06:22 PM

Why I detest it: The glass is so hard.
I agree! I also prefer my windshield to be nice and "flowy!"
Seriously...was this a joke?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I will post my address. You send it to me. You are too stupid to own this device.

I wanted the iPhone mainly because of the hype and thinking I would be riding some cultural wave.
Well, there is your first problem.

And seriously, "the glass is so hard"? WTF does that mean? You would rather it be soft?

You can download all yr email addresses, half of which I never use
And that's a problem with the iPhone how? Sounds like you need to clean out your address book.

"The glass case is smudged and the wiper/thingie does not much to clean it."
That is BS. The "wiper/thingie" works great at COMPLETELY removing smudges. Hell, even my shirt can clean off the smudges.

the iPhone Ipod sounds great BUT i couldn't download many from my 60 GB
That's because the iPhone has a 4GB or 8GB capacity. 4 and 8 are less than 60.

Curiously, everwhere I read, it's WOW, or GREAT when to me, it's a total ripp off. Anyone?
Yeah, you're an idiot. And scaught is right, you're too stupid to own an iPhone.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
... You are too stupid to own this device.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2007, 06:31 PM

OK, it's easy to jump on this person, and there's always the possibility that they don't even own an iPhone and they just want to stir up some trouble. But at this point, I think it's probably best to assume that they actually have some problems and try to help them. For the most part, I think learning a bit more about how to use the iPhone, and spending more time with it would solve most if not all of the problems mentioned.

wendy18o, if you can lay out exactly what you're having issues with ("hard glass" is a little difficult to understand) we'll do our best to help you out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 06:54 PM

Why would anybody walk around carrying an iPhone in a city? Wouldn't that be like putting a giant "mug me" sign on you? This is a $500 device. It would *suck* to have this stolen, yet it seems like it would be so easy to do.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2007, 06:57 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but how is it different from carrying an iPod or a laptop? And more to the point, what use is the iPhone if you don't carry it around?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but how is it different from carrying an iPod or a laptop? And more to the point, what use is the iPhone if you don't carry it around?
I probably wouldn't expose my laptop if I were to carry it around in a public place like the subway either.

iPods are a little safer right now since everybody and their dog has one, but I might feel uneasy about carrying an iPod Video too... I don't know.

I'm not a wimpy person, I don't mean this to say that I would literally be shaking in my boots, but I'd probably be looking over my shoulder be cautious.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 07:19 PM

At this point I'm being a bit cautious about showing mine around in public. If I do use it in public, I try my best to mask it. I'm not too afraid of being mugged, but I am afraid of some curious schmoe coming up and wanting to grope it. Not a whole lot of people have one, but lots of people know about them. So until more people get one or they become less of a high profile item, I'm staying a little discreet.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2007, 12:01 AM

Ten bucks "she" never comes back.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Ten bucks "she" never comes back.
I've got your ten and I raise you twenty on that bet.
The Religious Right is neither.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 12:36 AM

Don't feed teh trolls.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
At this point I'm being a bit cautious about showing mine around in public. If I do use it in public, I try my best to mask it. I'm not too afraid of being mugged, but I am afraid of some curious schmoe coming up and wanting to grope it. Not a whole lot of people have one, but lots of people know about them. So until more people get one or they become less of a high profile item, I'm staying a little discreet.
I'm in the same boat. Don't want to advertise my new iPhone since everyone knows what they cost and I don't want people asking me to play with mine (that's what the Apple store is for).
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2007, 10:14 AM

the iPhone Ipod sounds great BUT i couldn't download many from my 60 GB, in fact iTunes downloaded only songs or artists with the letter A.

(laughing so hard I'm crying)

Oversoul
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 12:00 PM

The OP signed up for an account to make a stupid rant?

The iPhone's hard glass really must have pissed her off ...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 12:14 PM

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules