Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Thunderbolt - new video driver bug (hang)

MacBook Pro Thunderbolt - new video driver bug (hang)
pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2011, 04:03 AM

My configuration:

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
256GB Solid State Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare

Anyone can reproduce this with the new 15" MacBook Pro:

- Login with user1
- Faster user switching to user2
- Launch iPhoto
- Logout user2 (with iPhoto still running)
- Login back with user1
- Launch iPhoto

-> iPhoto hangs and will never start. This only happens if "Automatic Graphics Switching" is enabled in System Preferences. Looks like a bug with the Intel HD 3000 driver The only way to launch iPhoto after this is to restart the MacBook Pro...
( Last edited by pat++; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2011, 07:02 AM

FWIW, this issue does NOT occur on my 13" i7 MacBook Pro, so that lends credence to your theory.

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2011, 08:18 AM

I reproduced it without any problem on a MacBook Pro 15" at the Apple store in front of a guy from the store. Basically, most applications just hang on startup. This is really bad. The MBP even crashed completely and the guy had to force reboot it. They said they are going to escalate the issue, but I doubt they will do anything about it. The guy said I should return the laptop if I am not happy about it...

I think you don't even need 2 users to reproduce the issue. Just log out once with iPhoto or iMovie is open and it's enough to reproduce the issue...
( Last edited by pat++; Mar 10, 2011 at 08:31 AM. )

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 06:29 PM

Issue still present after installing 10.6.7 why does Apple bother releasing specific updates for Thunderbolt MacBook Pro without fixing this???

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 08:32 PM

It is a brand new box, intense brand-new chipset at state-of-the-art. Expect anomalies. Also expect anomalies to get resolved fairly quickly.

When we find an anomaly we should learn to work around it until it gets fixed. Repeatedly going out of one's way to repeat a complex problematic workflow just to say aha! is a bit of a waste of time.

So far my new 17" has no problems, but (because I strongly disbelieve in simply migrating apps) I have not yet moved Aperture to the new box. Aperture will be the test that drives it to 100%.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 21, 2011 at 08:39 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules