Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > all opened windows in the dock

all opened windows in the dock
@nt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 09:33 AM

can i do something, so i can see all opened windows in my dock, even if i didn't minimize them? like in Windows.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 09:46 AM

Umm....not in the dock, but why not use Expose? Just hit F9, and you'll see all your open windows...

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by @nt
can i do something, so i can see all opened windows in my dock, even if i didn't minimize them? like in Windows.

Ditto, Expose will show all open windows, no other OS offers this cool feature. But what do you mean by, "Like In Windows"? How do you see all the open windows in Windows? Unless you are talking about "confirmation" that the application is open? If that's the case then each open app in the dock will show a triangle underneath the application icon.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 10:36 AM

Use Exposé and set all windows to one corner, then just throw your mouse/trackpad in that direction and you can see everything instantly. It's also great for monitoring what several windows are doing at the same time, because they update while in Exposé mode. It might take some getting used to, but I think you will find it better in the end.

There are also probably apps that show you all open windows, ala, Windows, but I'm not sure of any offhand.

@nt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 10:57 AM

i mean if i open many windows in MOzilla, in Windows i see all them near "Start" button.
i should use Expose to do something like that?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by @nt
i mean if i open many windows in MOzilla, in Windows i see all them near "Start" button.
i should use Expose to do something like that?

You are not being real clear on what you are asking because all of us so far have given you different answers and if the way Expose was explained doesn't quite answer your question then you need to be specific.
Here's one more answer and tell me if this is what you are looking for. I know in Windows XP if you have multiple Internet Explorer windows open it will show the actual number of I.E windows open in the task bar, so for example if you have 5 I.E windows open then the number "5" will appear in the task bar for Internet Explorer so if that's what you want Mac OSX to do then the answer is no, it does not do that.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 11:58 AM

Although, you can control-click (right-click) on most browsers' icons and it will have a list of the windows open.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 12:06 PM

If you're new to using Macs my biggest tip to you would be...

STOP Trying to make your Mac a PC. While there isn't an exact way to do what you want, there are plenty of other useful and just as functional options. Part of changing operating systems is using the different features and implimentations of ideas. If you're unwilling to try and change how you use the computer you're in for a long road of annoyance and heart ache.

Like others have said, use Expose. Also learn how to use Apple+H, it's your friend.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
If you're new to using Macs my biggest tip to you would be...

STOP Trying to make your Mac a PC. While there isn't an exact way to do what you want, there are plenty of other useful and just as functional options. Part of changing operating systems is using the different features and implimentations of ideas. If you're unwilling to try and change how you use the computer you're in for a long road of annoyance and heart ache.
Thank you, best advice ever given!
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

@nt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 03:30 PM

that's what I need.
2Hi I'm Ben, It's not for me, the person whom I doing that asked me only about one thing. That stuff. so i really need to do something about that.
I can use both of operation systems without any troubels. only troubel that I had with Mac it was compatibility of software and what analogue software I can use on Mac. That's all=)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 05:10 PM

Like others have said, Expose is how you will want to do that.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

If you really want a Window's taskbar, you will need a shareware app called Dragthing. That lets you create many taskbars, docks and all sorts. Then follow the instructions in this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hlight=taskbar

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by @nt

that's what I need.
2Hi I'm Ben, It's not for me, the person whom I doing that asked me only about one thing. That stuff. so i really need to do something about that.
I can use both of operation systems without any troubels. only troubel that I had with Mac it was compatibility of software and what analogue software I can use on Mac. That's all=)

What incompatibilities with software are you having troubles with on the Mac? What is analogue software? Maybe we can help.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 07:35 PM

If you want to see the names of the windows of an app, the closest thing would be to ctrl-click (or click & hold, or right click) on the application's icon in the Dock. You'll see the list of windows for this app...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 03:06 AM

Go to the menu 'Window'. Every decent OS X app lists all its current windows there if you really want a list. I'd use Exposé as many others have already said.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 04:09 AM

nevermind

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 05:23 PM

Go to www.cnet.com and type in smackbook in the search bar they menchon (spelling) something about a manger you can install with the smackbook app but this will make all your programs go to the top of the screen and you can see what you have open
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Forum Links
Forum Rules