Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Jailbreak 3g but still use ATT (so i can use a foreign chip when overseas)

Jailbreak 3g but still use ATT (so i can use a foreign chip when overseas)
lembob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2008, 11:23 AM

Can i do this? if so, can someone point me to the right direction... As much as i dislike ATT, i can live with the service, my concern is, when i deploy overseas, i would like to pick up a "local" chip and use their service, i would rather not get bent over by ATT's world roaming charges...

Cold Warrior
Aug 1, 2008, 11:56 AM

You would need to unlock the iPhone 3G to use another, non-AT&T SIM. Currently there is no iPhone 3G unlock.

If you're close to deploying and have no other option, consider buying an unlocked GSM phone from Amazon or another retailer. An unlocked GSM phone will let you insert any SIM to receive local, more inexpensive service.

pctech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 05:11 PM

Have any one tried Ziphone 3.0 for unlocking the iPhone 3G?

Forum Links
Forum Rules