Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Doping scandal at the Olympics... except it's for horses.

Doping scandal at the Olympics... except it's for horses.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 05:57 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...an/7574220.stm

Four horses involved in the Olympic show jumping have tested positive for the banned substance capsaicin.

As a result, they were thrown out of Thursday's individual show jumping final in Beijing, eventually won by Canada's Eric Lamaze on Hickstead.

Ireland's Denis Lynch, riding Lantinus, was among the riders barred.

Norway's Tony Andre Hansen on Camiro, Brazil's Bernardo Alves on Chupa Chup and Germany's Christian Ahlmann on Coster were also ejected.

Lynch, Hansen and Alves had all been scheduled to compete in Thursday's individual competition, but Ahlmann was not entered into the event.

Following news of Lantinus' positive drugs test, Horse Sport Ireland said that Lynch had admitted using a product called Equi-block, which contains capsaicin, on his horse.

Capsaicin, derived from chilli peppers, can have hypersensitising effects or act as a pain relief that, in both cases, can improve the performance of the horse.

---

Uh oh. I just poured some of this capsaicin on my porch to get rid of the raccoons. Does this mean I'm suddenly going to have hyperactive super-raccoons!?!?!

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2008, 07:57 PM

Did you just admit to distributing performance enhancing drugs?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 08:47 PM

Those raccoons were probably underage, to boot!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

I must admit that yes, some of those raccoons were underage. There is a large family of them, with plenty of young'uns.

This is the nasty stuff:

Havahart® Critter Ridder® (EPA Reg. No. 50932-10) contains 0.480% oil of black pepper, 0.185% piperine, and 0.032% capsaicin and related capsaicinoids.

Forum Links
Forum Rules