Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 inch Powerbook is almost silent

12 inch Powerbook is almost silent
jdparkinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2003, 10:24 PM

The one thing I can't get over about my new 12 inch PB is the fact that you can barely hear anything while the computer is processing. I sold my 550 MHz Titanium and there really is no comparison between the two. Even when the fan comes on (which is very rare) the fan is very, very quiet. The only way you can hear anything is if you are in a perfectly quiet room. My poor brother just bought a Gateway and it is a hair dryer. Poor guy.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 10:41 PM

My old Vaio R505superslim pro was also a vacuum cleaner! it was competing with my dual MDD 1.25gb PowerMac!!! I sold that vaio to get a 12"albook.

Now here's a question, when the fans starts up when the computer is warm, does it turn off eventually?? I've heard reports of TiBooks having the fans on and then stay on...

Just wondering..

Mike

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 10:48 PM

I've seldom had the fan come on, but it does go off after a few minutes.

Of course it depends on what you're doing. With VirtualPC it will tend to stay on the high speed for a bit longer. Otherwise the fan drops to a lower speed then eventually switches off completely.

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 11:27 PM

Yep. Unfortunately, I'm stuck all day in a room full of Dells and other noisy crappy PC laptops.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 01:11 AM

Seems like we are getting a PowerBook that is more quiet but much hotter with the 12"...at least that seems to be the "average" experience.

Personally, I don't mind a little bit of fan noise for a cool and comfortable computing experience, but I know there are lots of folks who feel exactly the opposite.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
My old Vaio R505superslim pro was also a vacuum cleaner! it was competing with my dual MDD 1.25gb PowerMac!!! I sold that vaio to get a 12"albook.

Now here's a question, when the fans starts up when the computer is warm, does it turn off eventually?? I've heard reports of TiBooks having the fans on and then stay on...

Just wondering..

Mike
The fans on my 1GHz TiBook do turn off when appropriate.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by John123:
Personally, I don't mind a little bit of fan noise for a cool and comfortable computing experience, but I know there are lots of folks who feel exactly the opposite.
Right. Noise is a no-no for me (you guessed it - I'm still stuck with a Cube, 12" PB on order).

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
Right. Noise is a no-no for me (you guessed it - I'm still stuck with a Cube, 12" PB on order).
2far: I figured you would snap up a 12-inch PowerBook. After all, you already sold your original TiBook to get the smaller iBook (Dual USB) when it came out. I wonder whether there will be an opportunity for a third small(er) and light(er) "upgrade" like this another two years from now.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules