Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Security Update 2007-005

Security Update 2007-005
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 03:09 AM

Experiences?

Took a really long time to restart after installation, re-booted twice....doesn't seem to have made much apparent visible difference.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 03:38 AM

What are you expecting? It's a security update. It's not going to add new features.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 05:47 AM

Does anybody here actually know why the last two or three security updates have started this reboot twice thing?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Does anybody here actually know why the last two or three security updates have started this reboot twice thing?
This is not a new phenomenon, other updates have required multiple reboots, not sure why. I would assume that as the machine applies the update during reboot, it has to reboot a second time to complete the cycle.
Michael

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 09:12 AM

My ibook rebooted twice, after that I ran Disk Utility and had to repair the HD (not repair permission, i had to really repair the HD).
Not a big deal, but i decided to share with you.
BTW, before the update i had ran Disk Utility and everything was fine.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 09:26 AM

I can't recall ever having a double reboot after any kind of Apple updates; not on any of the myriad Macs I've had. I wonder why some people have to do that.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I can't recall ever having a double reboot after any kind of Apple updates; not on any of the myriad Macs I've had. I wonder why some people have to do that.
It never happened to me too, but the ibook reestarted twice for itself!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 10:08 AM

Well it certainly not something I remember doing in the pre-Intel or 10.3 days. But this is also not the first time.

I'd still be interested to know in more detail why it's necessary.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2007, 12:01 PM

Looking at all the items it addresses, it's possible that some of them could not be updated until something they depended on was updated. Just a guess...

The documentation on this update does not seem to address restarting more than once.

Update: I installed the update and my MBP restarted to the gray screen for a while, then re-restarted and booted up (quite quickly) into OS X. No glitches, just a delay.
( Last edited by ghporter; May 27, 2007 at 12:09 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Looking at all the items it addresses, it's possible that some of them could not be updated until something they depended on was updated. Just a guess...

The documentation on this update does not seem to address restarting more than once.

Update: I installed the update and my MBP restarted to the gray screen for a while, then re-restarted and booted up (quite quickly) into OS X. No glitches, just a delay.
And a very good and logical guess. That's probably what is going on. That's why sometimes these updates only require a single reboot. Heck, it's probably not out of the realm of possibility for a 3 reboot update!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, that sounds likely.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 01:38 PM

The double reboot is perfectly normal. There have been several updates for Tiger, OS and Security, that have required a double reboot. Some have only been required on Intel Macs and some have only been required on PowerPC Macs. This one is required on both.

The reason there is a double reboot is becuase the update is updating files that are in use when fully booted. So, the update installs those files to /System/InstallAtStartup/ along with a script. When you reboot, the boot routines check for that directory and if present, halts the boot process and runs the scripts present there.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 01:56 PM

Interesting. Thank you!

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 02:03 PM

Hi there,
An odd occurence ...
I have a 3 year old G4 15" 1 Ghz Al PowerBook running 10.4.9 - which incidentally, is being replaced in June with a 17" MBP.
I have just downloaded the latest Security Update 2007-005 via the download link - not via Software Update! All is OK, although interestingly after restarting - heard start up chime twice and restart took about five minutes - my screen appeared quite dull because the brightness setting in System Preferences/Displays had been changed - dimmed, (this has never happened before).
I then moved the slider to the position where it was at before the update and heypresto, the screen now appears to be about 30% to 40% brighter than it was before - at that same setting...!
In fact the screen is now a little too bright when adjusted to its highest setting; hey, I am not complaining because the odd shadows have gone and my screen now looks terrific!
Has anyone else experienced this same 'phenomenon' after the update, or is it just one of those strange coincidences that happen from time to time?
voicebox

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 02:43 PM

Anyone ran Disk Utility to see if you have to repair HD? I had to,,,

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2007, 04:27 PM

For the record, my Dual 2ghz G5 and iBook G4 both updated perfectly (iBook double restarted, don't think the G5 did). I'm yet to update my Intel iMac.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 03:20 PM

Yeah my iBook G4 updated fine. I was worried too because in the past I've had problems with updates... but this time everything was fine.

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2007, 04:59 PM

I checked just now and I had a couple of iTunes' files that needed permissions adjusted, but that's all. Nothing major.

gberz3
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 06:02 PM

Whenever I do these security updates my PowerBook always reboots multiple times and loses functionality. My Volume, and Power buttons stop working and certain System Prefs are reset. I find this extremely annoying. After yet another reboot they usually start working, but is there any way to prevent this?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by gberz3 View Post
Whenever I do these security updates my PowerBook always reboots multiple times and loses functionality. My Volume, and Power buttons stop working and certain System Prefs are reset. I find this extremely annoying. After yet another reboot they usually start working, but is there any way to prevent this?
Manually reboot an extra time so you don't notice the problems with features that need the extra reboot? Seriously, it's not like these things come out every day.

gberz3
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 06:58 PM

Manually reboot an extra time so you don't notice the problems with features that need the extra reboot? Seriously, it's not like these things come out every day.
You're mostly right; check the frequency of updates in the last few months, however. It has been quite frequent. Even still, it's an annoying enough problem to be fixed (or at least fully disclosed/explained).

Forum Links
Forum Rules