Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Utilities I should have for OS X

Utilities I should have for OS X
Dreaming
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 01:56 PM

I am looking for recommendations for keeping my OS X partition running smoothly. (I have OS 10.1.5) I want something I can run periodically as preventive maintenance to (1) check the partition's directory structure and check the system folder for corruption, (2) defragment the partition. I would also like it to be strong enough to repair any damage.

I know that cron tasks and fsck are things I can run within OS X, so that takes care of some of my needs. But what else is required? I heard that DiskWarrior is very good. But there are so many others I have heard of: Drive 10, Xoptimize, MacJanitor, TechTool Pro. Do they do the same thing as DiskWarrior, or are any of them considered a necessary addition?

Also, can anyone recommend a utility that will back up the entire OS X partition (even invisible files so I still have a working OS X in case I need to restore anything)?

Thanks for the recommendations.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Dreaming:
I am looking for recommendations for keeping my OS X partition running smoothly. (I have OS 10.1.5) I want something I can run periodically as preventive maintenance to (1) check the partition's directory structure and check the system folder for corruption, (2) defragment the partition. I would also like it to be strong enough to repair any damage.

I know that cron tasks and fsck are things I can run within OS X, so that takes care of some of my needs. But what else is required? I heard that DiskWarrior is very good. But there are so many others I have heard of: Drive 10, Xoptimize, MacJanitor, TechTool Pro. Do they do the same thing as DiskWarrior, or are any of them considered a necessary addition?

Also, can anyone recommend a utility that will back up the entire OS X partition (even invisible files so I still have a working OS X in case I need to restore anything)?

Nothing does what DiskWarrior does. Just boot from 9 when you need to run it.

Carbon Copy Cloner is the answer to all your system backup needs.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 02:35 PM

DiskWarrior, made by Alsoft, is a one-trick pony, but no one does the trick better. Same goes for PlusOptimizer, made by the same company (and usually included for free on the DiskWarrior CD); the two are generally just called "DiskWarrior" together even though you can buy them separately. DiskWarrior will do the first of the things you want (checking and repairing the filesystem structure) and PlusOptimizer will do the other one (defragging the drive). Both of these currently only run in OS9, but OSX ports are in the works for both.

TechTool Pro, made by MicroMat, is a very good general-purpose diagnostic and repair utility. It can do the same things as DiskWarrior and more, but it doesn't tend to be as good at defragging or filesystem repair as the DW/PO combination is. It only runs in OS9, just like DiskWarrior, so there is no advantag on that score.

Drive10 is also made by MicroMat. It's OSX native, and covers most of the disk-related functions of TechTool Pro. However, it doesn't go into the rest of TTP's functionality.

As a sidenote, the major competitor to these utilities is Norton SystemWorks, made by Symantec. While they used to be the best disk-repair folks around, they've fallen by the wayside in that area somewhat. However, their utilities can be very useful for other things. Just make sure that you never use an old version of Norton on an OSX disk; old versions have bugs which mess things up really badly.

XOptimize and MacJanitor don't do what you're looking for. They're useful in their own right, but they're for other, somewhat less-crucial housekeeping tasks.

Personally, I recommend DiskWarrior and PlusOptimizer. Although you have to boot into OS9 to use them currently (they provide a bootable CD so that you can do this easily), nothing out there is better at disk repair.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dreaming  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 02:38 PM

Thank you, chris. But I thought Carbon Copy Cloner was just for Jaguar (OS 10.2). Does it work with OS 10.1.5?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:19 PM

I agree with Millennium. In fact the guys at the Apple Store swear by DiskWarrior. They use it to diagnose and fix customer's desktops/laptops. And they use it for their own personal use. I think that says alot for DiskWarrior. If you want to run it on OS X, wait for DiskWarrior 3.0 it should be coming out soon. Hopefully by the beginning of 2003.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2002, 05:07 AM

DiskWarrior is the best one for fixing problems with your disk, hands down.

For optimizing the drive, Norton Speed Disk is the best. However, PlusOptimizer tends to be safer, although it doesn't do a true optimization, but rather just a defrag.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2002, 08:32 AM

Thank you, chris. But I thought Carbon Copy Cloner was just for Jaguar (OS 10.2). Does it work with OS 10.1.5?
The most recent version is Jag only. The older (1.5? 1.6?) does work with 10.1, but you can't automatically shedule tasks with it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 12, 2002, 02:35 PM

I've heard bad things about Norton SpeedDisk on OS X drives. Then again, maybe it's me.

DiskWarrior has worked wonders for my two iBooks. But I would hold off until the OS X native version drops soon (I think next month?).

iamnid
Senior User
Dec 12, 2002, 02:38 PM

Get MacJanitor... I run it periodically and it's supposed to clean things up -- it's a free download from versiontracker.com/macosx

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2002, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by iamnid:
Get MacJanitor... I run it periodically and it's supposed to clean things up -- it's a free download from versiontracker.com/macosx
All MJ does is run the system's scheduled cron jobs. This is handy if you aren't leaving your computer on 24/7, but if the computer is on all the time, it won't do anything for you.

I think that the cron jobs are supposed to run at like 3AM (I'd have to check my cron tab for sure, but I'm not home right now), if you're curious. You could also simply move them to a time when you're sure the computer will be on, like noon or something, with a program like cronnix (or any other cron tab management utility).

BlackGriffen

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
All MJ does is run the system's scheduled cron jobs. This is handy if you aren't leaving your computer on 24/7, but if the computer is on all the time, it won't do anything for you.

I think that the cron jobs are supposed to run at like 3AM (I'd have to check my cron tab for sure, but I'm not home right now), if you're curious. You could also simply move them to a time when you're sure the computer will be on, like noon or something, with a program like cronnix (or any other cron tab management utility).
The other thing you could do is install anacron, a little utility which looks for cron jobs that have been missed and runs them automatically.

This is a CLI app, best installed via Fink. But once it's installed it runs automatically; you don't ever actually even run it yourself. A real set-it-and-forget-it type of thing; very nice.

[EDIT: Bad vBCode]
( Last edited by Millennium; Dec 12, 2002 at 03:44 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
As a sidenote, the major competitor to these utilities is Norton SystemWorks, made by Symantec. While they used to be the best disk-repair folks around, they've fallen by the wayside in that area somewhat. However, their utilities can be very useful for other things. Just make sure that you never use an old version of Norton on an OSX disk; old versions have bugs which mess things up really badly.

That's very true if you use Norton5 or before on OSX, but Norton6 still works perfectly on Jaguar 10.2.2 (booted up from the CD or an OS9 partition of course.) I use it all the time and it fixes everything and destroys nothing. Truly one fine disk Utility!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

That's very true if you use Norton5 or before on OSX, but Norton6 still works perfectly on Jaguar 10.2.2 (booted up from the CD or an OS9 partition of course.) I use it all the time and it fixes everything and destroys nothing. Truly one fine disk Utility!
Maybe it's destroyed nothing for you...

DiskWarrior all the way!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2002, 05:54 AM

I have to agree. I've seen Norton do more damage than good. It is by no means a "fine disk utility." It often can't fix certain types of severe corruption, stuff that DW fixes in no time. DiskWarrior is absolutely reliable. I can't recommend it enough. (No, we don't get paid by Alsoft to say that. In fact, we haven't received anything from Alsoft. It's just a fantastic product!) I can't wait till 3.0 comes out.

tooki

P.S. Did you hear that Norton doesn't support HFS+ journaling (running it on a journaled volume causes a kernel panic, in fact), because "Apple doesn't support journaling on OS X client", and Disk Doctor is not verified for use on OS X Server? Umm... yyyeah... I happen to think it's a good idea to run disk utilities on server volumes, seeing as how servers have the bizarre tendency to accumulate important files! (Backups are good, backups and routine disk maintenance are better.)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2002, 06:32 AM

DiskWarrior, made by Alsoft, is a one-trick pony, but no one does the trick better. Same goes for PlusOptimizer, made by the same company (and usually included for free on the DiskWarrior CD); the two are generally just called "DiskWarrior" together even though you can buy them separately. DiskWarrior will do the first of the things you want (checking and repairing the filesystem structure) and PlusOptimizer will do the other one (defragging the drive). Both of these currently only run in OS9, but OSX ports are in the works for both.

TechTool Pro, made by MicroMat, is a very good general-purpose diagnostic and repair utility. It can do the same things as DiskWarrior and more, but it doesn't tend to be as good at defragging or filesystem repair as the DW/PO combination is. It only runs in OS9, just like DiskWarrior, so there is no advantag on that score.

Drive10 is also made by MicroMat. It's OSX native, and covers most of the disk-related functions of TechTool Pro. However, it doesn't go into the rest of TTP's functionality.

XOptimize and MacJanitor don't do what you're looking for. They're useful in their own right, but they're for other, somewhat less-crucial housekeeping tasks.

Personally, I recommend DiskWarrior and PlusOptimizer. Although you have to boot into OS9 to use them currently (they provide a bootable CD so that you can do this easily), nothing out there is better at disk repair.
Excellent summarization of the current options.

captain swing
Dec 13, 2002, 12:27 PM

just had major disk problems. neither drive X nor norton could repair them; disk warrior did.

by the way, if you run norton disk doctor over the apple jaguar cd itself you get major errors showing up. what gives?

swing

Dreaming  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
I've heard bad things about Norton SpeedDisk on OS X drives. Then again, maybe it's me.
... No, it's not just you. I did read on Symantec's site that Norton SpeedDisk 6.0.x cannot defragment or optimize OS X drives. It can only examine and repair them (using the DiskDoctor feature).

If you want to defragment OS X volumes, you need to get Norton SpeedDisk 7.0.x.

(I don't know which version you heard the bad things about, but if it was version 6.0, then the above is the explanation.)

superlarry
Senior User
Jan 3, 2003, 10:38 AM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2003, 08:14 AM

The other thing you could do is install anacron, a little utility which looks for cron jobs that have been missed and runs them automatically.

This is a CLI app, best installed via Fink. But once it's installed it runs automatically; you don't ever actually even run it yourself. A real set-it-and-forget-it type of thing; very nice.
And in case you don't want to install a programm or you don't want to deal with cron and CLI stuff, you can just open your terminal and type

sudo peridoc daily

It will ask for your password (sudo makes the periodic command get processed with root rights which is what you need and that's why it wants a password) and then do the maintenance jobs cron would have done daily at 3AM. There are also:

sudo periodic weekly

and

sudo periodic monthly

Which do the stuff cron would do weekly or monthly at 3AM. For more info (if you care to use the this stuff and don't mind being in front of the CLI for a bit longer) take a look at

man periodic

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 09:49 AM

You should probably think about moving to 10.2 as well.

It is a much better version of the OS and will be more stable.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Dreaming  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by superlarry:
carbon copy cloner for OSX 10.1.2 to 10.1.5:
http://www.bombich.com/software/files/cccloner.dmg.tgz

found at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/
Thank you superlarry. I've gone to the site to download it and I'll soon begin using it.

Dreaming  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
... you can just open your terminal and type

sudo peridoc daily

There are also:
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Which do the stuff cron would do weekly or monthly at 3AM. For more info, take a look at
man periodic
Thank you Simon. I was intrigued with your post because I didn't know of such straightforward commands. I recall reading a tutorial about rescheduling the cron tasks via terminal commands (see the O'Reilly Network http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...e.html?page=2. Reading http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...minal_one.html first is recommended), but it was much more involved than what you've written.

However, when I went to the terminal to type "man periodic," it responded with "no entry for periodic in the manual."

This leads me to ask you this: Are you using OS 10.2 (Jaguar)? I'm using OS 10.1.5, so I'm wondering if "sudo periodic" is something new that applies to Jaguar only.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 02:14 PM

so I'm wondering if "sudo periodic" is something new that applies to Jaguar only.
Yes, the 'periodic' command was first included with 10.2. It's also the mechanism used by Deja Vu for running backup scripts.
Let D�j� Vu take care of backing up your files.
You've got better things to do with your time.
http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 11:46 AM

i use and like drive 10, it allows me to also defrag my drives... a big plus.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2003, 10:12 AM

However, when I went to the terminal to type "man periodic," it responded with "no entry for periodic in the manual."

This leads me to ask you this: Are you using OS 10.2 (Jaguar)? I'm using OS 10.1.5, so I'm wondering if "sudo periodic" is something new that applies to Jaguar only.
Originally posted by Pinlo:
Yes, the 'periodic' command was first included with 10.2. It's also the mechanism used by Deja Vu for running backup scripts.
OMG. I must have been much too tired when I aswered your post. I completely overlooked that you had 10.1.5. Sorry! Periodic is a terminal command in Jaguar. If you don't have Jaguar you won't find it. Sorry about that mistake.

Forum Links
Forum Rules