Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Proteus just won't connect to AOL. WTF?

Proteus just won't connect to AOL. WTF?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:14 AM

iChat connects fine.
AIM connects fine.
But Proteus disconnects every time I try to log on to the AIM network.

Is AOL blocking Proteus users?

MSN is working fine in Proteus.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
iChat connects fine.
AIM connects fine.
But Proteus disconnects every time I try to log on to the AIM network.

Is AOL blocking Proteus users?

MSN is working fine in Proteus.
I'm connected to AOL via Proteus. What version are you using?

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

I'm connected to AOL via Proteus. What version are you using?
The latest alpha listed at their website (and the one most recently listed at VersionTracker.com).

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2002, 03:30 PM

hmm silly question but.

Your not trying to use a @mac.com nick are you?

-Owl

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 04:17 PM

Actually...I heard some guy on the Proteus boards having trouble with AOL recently...I'll go check out what he has to say about it.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 04:42 PM

Fire just got OSCAR-support...nice.

OSCAR-support is rumored to be in the next Proteus alpha...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 05:31 PM

Fire just got OSCAR-support...nice.

OSCAR-support is rumored to be in the next Proteus alpha...
Be careful; OSCAR support is a double-edged sword. It is true that OSCAR supports more features, such as file transfer. However, from that point on you'll be fighting AOL, which zealously blocks any OSCAR-supporting client except for the official AIM client, AOL, and iChat. That means a constant stream of updates, which you have to keep applying to be able to connect at all.

Now granted, it would be interesting if the OSCAR support -or at least the OSCAR login- were abstracted into its own Framework within the app. This is a point where Cocoa's dynamic framework-loading could come in handy. It could, at launch time, check a server to see if there's an update to the OSCAR login support, download it directly into the app, and then load it. That would be pretty neat, and would cut down on the hassle of constantly fighting updates. Just a thought.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
hmm silly question but.

Your not trying to use a @mac.com nick are you?

-Owl
No. I can't use my @mac.com account because it won't show up on Trillian which all my PC-using friends use instead of AIM.

So, my @mac.com account is useless for iChat or Proteus.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:

No. I can't use my @mac.com account because it won't show up on Trillian which all my PC-using friends use instead of AIM.

So, my @mac.com account is useless for iChat or Proteus.
Ok, just checking, that would have been the reason then.

-Owl

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 10:45 AM

That is the problem I have always had with Proteus. It has never consistantly worked on any of my computers. It was always a crap shoot. Not to mention the horrible set up process.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 13, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
That is the problem I have always had with Proteus. It has never consistantly worked on any of my computers. It was always a crap shoot. Not to mention the horrible set up process.
Uh oh...Guy Incognito will rip you a new one for saying that.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:

Uh oh...Guy Incognito will rip you a new one for saying that.
OH NO!! :o

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 02:46 PM

pebcak

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 02:53 PM

pebcak
Hardly. But IF that was the case, which it isn't that would mean all the other IM apps were TONS easier to get running with no problems.

I am not the only person that complained about such a dodgy setup.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 02:56 PM

I am not the only person that complained about such a dodgy setup.
There is no dodgy setup. pebcak.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 03:20 PM

Heh Guy takes this so personally. It's very humorous and entertaining.

Yes Guy, I am sorry, Proteus just isn't very intuitive, nor does it work consistantly.

See just because it works on YOUR computer right all the time, doesn't mean it works that way on ALL computers.

You are going to have to accept that fact one of these days or go through horrible pangs of anguish from your Proteus infatuations.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 03:25 PM

Heh Guy takes this so personally. It's very humorous and entertaining.

Yes Guy, I am sorry, Proteus just isn't very intuitive, nor does it work consistantly.

See just because it works on YOUR computer right all the time, doesn't mean it works that way on ALL computers.

You are going to have to accept that fact one of these days or go through horrible pangs of anguish from your Proteus infatuations.
Blaming self-incompetence on the product gets you nowhere.

Actually...humor me. Explain what is dodgy about Proteus' setup.

When I was having freeze problems with my computer I did about 8 complete wipes of my hard drive. And I had to resetup Proteus everytime.

And everytime, Proteus fetched all my contacts off the server after entering the service accounts in Preferences and I simply grouped the same contacts (using different accounts) under one 'metacontact' by simply dragging and dropping same contacts from the list into the 'Accounts' tab in the Contact Info window. If it can be done in an easier way, share.

If that's not the setup you experienced, then it's pebcak.
( Last edited by Guy Incognito; Dec 13, 2002 at 03:32 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 03:33 PM

Blaming self-incompetence on the product gets you nowhere.

Well it's a good thing that isn't what I was doing.

Actually...humor me. Explain what is dodgy about Proteus' setup.

Did I not say it wasn't very intuitive? Yes, yes I did.

When I was having freeze problems with my computer I did about 8 complete wipes of my hard drive. And I had to resetup Proteus everytime.
Well see there you go. You have done it so many times it just SEEMS normal to you. No wonder.

And everytime, Proteus fetched all my contacts off the server and I simply grouped the same contacts (using different accounts) under one 'metacontact' by simply dragging and dropping same contacts from the list into the 'Accounts' tab in the Contact Info window. If it can be done in an easier way, share.
I really don't know, it never really worked long enough for me to get used to it.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 03:38 PM

I really don't know, it never really worked long enough for me to get used to it.
What exactly didn't work long enough? You seem to have trouble explaining yourself.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 03:41 PM

I have no trouble explaining anything. You never asked me to go into detail. For one, it never kept my preferences or account information. Just downloaded it again, still does. What makes me laugh is the "version 5" Heh It shouldnt have been out of version 2 status. I wont go into how it NOW costs money. The last reason is the best reason to use Fire. Not to mention the FREE daily builds.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 03:44 PM

I have no trouble explaining anything. You never asked me to go into detail. For one, it never kept my preferences or account information. Just downloaded it again, still does. What makes me laugh is the "version 5" Heh It shouldnt have been out of version 2 status. I wont go into how it NOW costs money. The last reason is the best reason to use Fire. Not to mention the FREE daily builds.
Maybe you'll like Linux better as an operating system. It's free too.

Oh...and have you ever used Watson? Don't...there's Sherlock!

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 03:50 PM

Maybe you'll like Linux better as an operating system. It's free too.

Oh...and have you ever used Watson? Don't...there's Sherlock!
I don't mind paying for QUALITY.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 03:53 PM

I don't mind paying for QUALITY.
But you don't mind using crap either. Good for you.

Actually...here's another question: Why don't you ever discuss the pros and cons of both products like I did in the other thread?

You always recycle the same comment "it just didn't work" without any explanations. You've been using this comment ever since your sex change from Sine to Zimphire. Have you not tried Proteus since then?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 04:05 PM

But you don't mind using crap either. Good for you.
No, that isn't the case here.

Actually...here's another question: Why don't you ever discuss the pros and cons of both products like I did in the other thread?

I don't know hmm.. maybe because it's really not as important to me as it is to you?

You always recycle the same comment "it just didn't work" without any explanations. You've been using this comment ever since your sex change from Sine to Zimphire. Have you not tried Proteus since then?
Er I explained to you what I meant many times. You kept telling me it was a user error. you could not or would not admitto Proteus having faults. I find it amusing though.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 04:14 PM

Er I explained to you what I meant many times. You kept telling me it was a user error. you could not or would not admitto Proteus having faults. I find it amusing though.
Proteus has faults...but your "it doesn't work" comment seems to be a case of the pebcak since you can't explain what the problem is.

You can either try to explain what's wrong or look stupid...it's your choice.

Are you one of those guys on VersionTracker that gives 1 star rating because they can't read instructions or the file got corrupted during the download?

"It doesn't work, I give this a 1-star rating."

Explain...you'll feel better.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 04:27 PM

Proteus has faults...but your "it doesn't work" comment seems to be a case of the pebcak since you can't explain what the problem is.

You can either try to explain what's wrong or look stupid...it's your choice.
Read my comments above please? I told you what was going on. For one, it never saves my information. For two, it doesn't stay online on some of the IM servers as well. For 3 it's buggy. Meaning it crashes on my computer a lot.

Are you one of those guys on VersionTracker that gives 1 star rating because they can't read instructions or the file got corrupted during the download?

"It doesn't work, I give this a 1-star rating."

Explain...you'll feel better.
Nope, sorry, not apart of VT and you are projecting again. I read everything, my file wasn't corrupted.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 04:33 PM

Read my comments above please? I told you what was going on. For one, it never saves my information. For two, it doesn't stay online on some of the IM servers as well. For 3 it's buggy. Meaning it crashes on my computer a lot.

Nope, sorry, not apart of VT and you are projecting again. I read everything, my file wasn't corrupted. [/B]
I don't know what to say but pebcak again. Sorry but none of these problems occur here. And I don't see anybody else with this problem. There might have been problems in the earlier Proteus days with services having trouble staying up because of the libraries Justin was using but they have improved and there hasn't been any service stability problems in a long time. The only serious problem I had with service stability was the infamous MSN problem that drove me away from Proteus for nearly 3 months.

The VT comment was an example. Lots of people will just spout out "this doesn't work" and give 1-star ratings...sounds just like your style.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 04:53 PM

I don't know what to say but pebcak again. Sorry but none of these problems occur here.

See there lies your problem. Just because it isn't happening to YOU doesn't mean it's P.E.B.C.A.K. That is why I was commenting on Proteus's CONSISTANCY. Some thinks it works great, other can't get it to work/it crashes on them all the time/wont save their prefs.

A app crashing, or not saving prefs isn't a P.E.B.C.A.K. Sorry.

And I don't see anybody else with this problem.
Are you kidding me? I hear people having problem like this ALL THE TIME. Esp on #Macintosh on teh undernet. These aren't your run of the mill Mac users either.

There might have been problems in the earlier Proteus days with services having trouble staying up because of the libraries Justin was using but they have improved and there hasn't been any service stability problems in a long time. The only serious problem I had with service stability was the infamous MSN problem that drove me away from Proteus for nearly 3 months.
You can say it isn't stable anymore as much as you wish. But it is when I, and many others run it. The quicker you accept that the better you'll be.

The VT comment was an example. Lots of people will just spout out "this doesn't work" and give 1-star ratings...sounds just like your style.
Well it's good that isn't the case here. 3x now I have mentioned WHY I didn't like it. I would never give proteus a -1. More like a 6 out of 10 stars.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 05:01 PM

There might be something wrong with your computer if your Proteus experience has never improved during the 1 year it's been in development.

Bugs are fixed, you know. If Proteus still acts like crap...then it's got to be your computer or a very obscur problem that has never been brought to Justin's attention.

What I really think the problem is, is that you experienced a problem earlier and then decided Proteus was crap and never tried using it ever again afterwards. You should give the latest version a try.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:06 PM

There might be something wrong with your computer if your Proteus experience has never improved during the 1 year it's been in development.
Well it's a good thing I never said that. I said the things that BUGGED me about it hasn't changed.

Bugs are fixed, you know. If Proteus still acts like crap...then it's got to be your computer or a very obscur problem that has never been brought to Justin's attention.
Nope, not just mine and yup it has been brought up. The stability and the not rembemering account info has been brought up numerous times.

What I really think the problem is, is that you experienced a problem earlier and then decided Proteus was crap and never tried using it ever again afterwards. You should give the latest version a try.
And you are projecting again. I just downloaded it again today, just to make sure i had used the NEWEST VERSION.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 05:09 PM

Nope, not just mine and yup it has been brought up. The stability and the not rembemering account info has been brought up numerous times.

And you are projecting again. I just downloaded it again today, just to make sure i had used the NEWEST VERSION.
Which version is that...just out of curiosity. That's right...run to VersionTracker to check out the latest version and post it here.

I really don't think it's been brought to Justin's attention. How about you post a little note on the Proteus boards explaining your problems.

I really doubt you're having any problems with the latest version. It has been nothing but stable for everyone.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:12 PM

Which version is that...just out of curiosity.

2.2a15. not that that proves anything.

I really don't think it's been brought to Justin's attention. How about you post a little note on the Proteus boards explaining your problems.

Justin would have to be awfully shelted not to have known about it. I've heard it many times.

I guess Spliff is making up things too huh?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 05:16 PM

Nobody really knows what Spliff's problem was...he never came back to explain anything except that "it didn't work"...was this one of your secret ID's you used to cheat the polls?

Seriously...service problems occur sometimes. They're not necessarly tied to the app. I get problems with Fire connections too sometimes. iChat went down a twice on me since I started using it.

Such is life.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:17 PM

Fire nor iTunes went down THAT much, nor did they crash on me that much.

Such is life.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 05:23 PM

Fire nor iTunes went down THAT much, nor did they crash on me that much.

Such is life.
iTunes? There you go smokin' the weed again.

But I guess, such is *your* life.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:24 PM

iTunes?

Sorry, I meant iChat.

There you go smokin' the weed again.

But I guess, such is *your* life.
Do I even need to say it again?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 05:27 PM

Do I even need to say it again?
Heck, no...I don't want you to suffer the embarassement again.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:38 PM

Heck, no...

I guess I do. because you just did it again in the next line.

I don't want you to suffer the embarassement again.
You are projecting.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 13, 2002, 05:42 PM

Care for some popcorn anyone? This is getting good.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 13, 2002, 05:45 PM

Care for some popcorn anyone? This is getting good.
It was actually pretty dull from the start. Guy is amusing sometimes though, with his emotional attachements.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 13, 2002, 05:59 PM

I just find it humorous how Guy hijacks threads that speak negatively about Proteus and determines the poster's intelligence based on what kind of IM app they use.

Since this thread is already in the toilet anyway, might as well put this...

In before da lock�

chris_h
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2002, 02:50 AM

Well i'll go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking:

Guy incognito clearly has an extreme homoerotic attraction to justin (the proteus developer).

Anywho, I use proteus on and off... the latest version still unexpectedly quits a little too much. It also gets cut off from AIM every couple of hours.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 14, 2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:

Anywho, I use proteus on and off... the latest version still unexpectedly quits a little too much. It also gets cut off from AIM every couple of hours.
Wow the exact things that happen to me too. How interesting.

Guy? see this?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 14, 2002, 11:08 AM

Wow the exact things that happen to me too. How interesting.

Guy? see this?
I was about to ignore this comment and try to let the thread die, but I can see how you're enjoying this. Yes, it's very interesting.

And unless people report the bug to Justin Wood (crash log for app crashes) then put up or shut up. You can't expect one developer to find everyone's bug unless they are reported.

That being said, the late alphas shouldn't have been posted on VT because people like Zimphire will give 1-star ratings if something doesn't work instead of simply reporting the bug seeing how the product is labeled as an alpha.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 14, 2002, 01:59 PM

That being said, the late alphas shouldn't have been posted on VT because people like Zimphire will give 1-star ratings if something doesn't work instead of simply reporting the bug seeing how the product is labeled as an alpha.
And Justin shouldn't be charging users $10 to be alpha testers.

If it was a final version, that would be a different story.

'Nuff said.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 14, 2002, 04:46 PM

'Nuff said.
Well...maybe you should tell him that. You're right, I also think it's silly that he's charging people for an alpha version.

But it's not as if he'll be charging you again for the final version though.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:03 AM

I was about to ignore this comment and try to let the thread die, but I can see how you're enjoying this. Yes, it's very interesting.

And unless people report the bug to Justin Wood (crash log for app crashes) then put up or shut up. You can't expect one developer to find everyone's bug unless they are reported.
They have been. I have reported them, I know of people in here that have, people in the Undernet that have. The SAME bugs STILL exist with EACH build.

Again you are projecting. Not that any of the other releases acted any different. This doesn't just happen in the Alphas I am afraid. But come on Guy, I know you are full of more lame excuses.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:04 AM

'Nuff said.
It has never really been out of development stage. Final version should actually work consistently. Proteus has never.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:34 AM

I think I said it before in the last thread, but it's incredible to witness such blind emotional attachment to just an IM application.... o.O

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2002, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I think I said it before in the last thread, but it's incredible to witness such blind emotional attachment to just an IM application.... o.O
And boring too. And tedious. Guy, we all appreciate your valiant effort to defend a program you like, but someone not liking the program is not spam. Thanks for reporting it anyway. Feel free to contiue your debate via PM, but it's not happening here.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules