Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram

Ram
twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2006, 07:03 AM

Hi all

Hopefully some one on here can advise?.
I have two sticks of ram in my imac g5 (before isight model) rev a, I know that they are running at 64 bit and therefore unmatched, does this cause a major problem i.e should they be running at 128 bit.
one 256 stick which came with my machine and one 512 that i added later.
Would it be advisable to pull the 256 out and just run at 512??.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

volcano
Senior User
Feb 18, 2006, 02:40 PM

If you have a 256MB stick and 512MB stick of RAM in your machine, there is no way they can be matched - both RAM modules have to be the same size - like 512MB & 512MB, 1GB & 1GB, etc.

I'm not sure if I understand your last part. At any rate, running a machine with 768MB of RAM will be better than 512MB, whether matched or not.

If you want to get the best performance possible, either get rid of 256MB chip and purchase another 512MB chip or purchase two 1GB chips.

Forum Links
Forum Rules