Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > An issue with Mail

An issue with Mail
Bakerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 07:14 PM

I have just moved into a 24 inch iMac from a 17" G4 PB. I am going to desribe a small problem which started on my PB, and exists with mail on the new machine. I am hoping someone can assist.

I am getting e-mail from 3 seperate accounts. All worked flawlessly until recently. I am having problems with 2 accounts in mail, which started on my previous machine.

I can send e-mail on any of the accounts, but cannot receive on my main 2 accounts from my provider. I have the same 3 accounts set up in Entourage, and the work fine. In mail they do not.

When the issue began I woke up one morning and Mail told me that my passwords were invalid. I have the identical passwords in Entourage, and they are correct.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Bakerman
24" iMac

mchladek
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 10:53 PM

I'm assuming you've checked and rechecked that you are entering the passwords correctly. If that's not it, you may try toggling the "Use SSL" preference in the Advanced tab of the Accounts Preferences.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 06:11 AM

Another thing you might do is to delete all your POP or IMAP passwords in Keychain Acess for you Mail app ( if you have them stored ). Then you will be re-prompetd for them. There might be some issue with that.
SAm

Bakerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 08:54 PM

I have had minor sucess by playing with the keychain. I first tried deleting the passwords, it did not help. Then I deleted the items involved from the keychain, minor progress in that I could retrieve messages from one of the 2 accounts in question.

I then ran the keychain first aid, it said there was a problem with one item in that no port was assigned. I clicked on repair, it claimed it did repai, but the account in question is not yet working.

My next step will be to delete the items again and retry.

Any other suggestions?
Bakerman
24" iMac

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2006, 08:01 AM

What ports are being used for your IMAP connections?

Bakerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 08:59 PM

Port 25 on all 3 accounts.
Bakerman
24" iMac

discounteggroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bakerman
Port 25 on all 3 accounts.
i know this may sound far-fetched, but try port 587. quick try may fix that problem, if not I apologize

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 07:06 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have Mail configured for Gmail, but it seems like all of a sudden it's not working anymore. I also upgraded it today, so maybe that's the problem.

EDIT: It's not able to send any emails at all. It asks for my password, and I enter it correctly multiple times, yet it still doesn't work.

EDIT2: Gmail itself on the web works fine.

EDIT3: I tried Thunderbird, and am getting the same problem.

EDIT4: I restarted my computer and everything is working perfectly now. Try restarting and see what happens.
( Last edited by DuckRacer1; Sep 30, 2006 at 09:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules