Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > becks joins the MLS...

becks joins the MLS...
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 03:10 PM

5 years....$250,000,000....to play soccer against competition thats lousy compared to what he's used to. i dont care how much the galaxy are gonna pay him, if this starts a trend of decent players moving cross pond to play here...im all for it!

discuss
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 04:32 PM

you got one of the hottest brits
we don't have time to stop for gas

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 04:37 PM

This will be great publicity for the league and make it even stronger.

Can't wait for Houston to kick LA's ass this year.

2006 MLS Cup biatches!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 04:42 PM

Insane $$$$. I had no idea the league even made that much per year.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Insane $$$$. I had no idea the league even made that much per year.
For reals.

I'm pumped for Toronto FC!

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2007, 06:19 PM

Do you have an extra zero in there or something???? I dont think the league makes that kind of cash.

I like Beckham, but he's not worth $250 million.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 06:23 PM

I think they're hoping for crazy ticket sales, and they're absolutely right. Becks will sell out games next season, and if it turns out being good for the MLS as a whole, I'm crazy excited about it. One of the best set piece players of all time playing in the USA while he still has some legs left in him is definitely something to get pumped about.

The MLS has been getting better; it just needed some good publicity to get the public interested, and this is (hopefully) it.

Go FC Dallas

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Do you have an extra zero in there or something???? I dont think the league makes that kind of cash.

I like Beckham, but he's not worth $250 million.
I thought that was BS too, but check it out:

Beckham heads for L.A. in $1million a week deal

$250m is correct.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2007, 11:50 PM

as i understood it from the articles, a lot of that $250m is in endorsements. as in, la/mls is paying a certain percentage of that, and adidas and other major sponsors are paying other amounts. the thing is, it's a win for everyone; he has existing relationships with his sponsors, all of whom want more exposure in the us, which he can deliver.

hopefully it's good for soccer in the us. i've been watching the mls since it started, and am a revolution season-ticket holder, and the progress has been great, but that doesn't mean i'm not impatient for a big leap forward.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 01:35 AM

Quarter billion dollars to kick a stupid leather ball full of air around for a few years.

I'm quite annoyed at this actually and I like soccer, but then again I'll probably go see him when he comes to Toronto. At least the league itself isn't paying most (or at least a good chunk) of this. It's a lot of endorsements. What percentage?

BTW, apparently Toronto FC sold over 500 seasons tickets just today, based on that Beckham announcement for LA. I can't imagine how many seasons tickets were sold in LA.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 01:40 AM

I heard 1000.

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
you got one of the hottest brits
What! Couldn't they have taken Wayne Rooney - and bloody well kept him?
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 06:48 AM

Heh, he had to. He knows his career is over.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
What! Couldn't they have taken Wayne Rooney - and bloody well kept him?
the old ladies in LA don't look old, so that's no good for Rooney

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 07:38 AM

Like Lineker said. He's going for his semi-retirement. Make a load of money, starts his "acting"-career and so on. He's not going there for footballing reasons. Just such a shame that the US league only gets people way past their best (he's been finished for the last couple of years).

And the worst thing in all this is that he didn't go because he wanted it. He's going because his wife wanted to move closer to the celebrities. He had accepted an offer from Real Madrid but the wife wanted away.

I'm afraid this will bankrupt the US league.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
the old ladies in LA don't look old, so that's no good for Rooney

Ol' Shrek prefers the older English ladies.

"Learn to swim"

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 08:04 AM

He's getting so much stick for this in the British press, most of which seems to be along the lines of "He's only taken it because he loves being in America, it's going to be a good for his family, it's very well paid, and he's not going to have to work too hard." Errr..sounds good to me. Changing your focus from your career to your family, concentrating on quality of life, these are very popular and respected courses of action these days. But apparently if you're a sports star they're a load of old b*llocks.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 08:37 AM

it's the arse-end then...
tin pot, garden shed

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
He's getting so much stick for this in the British press, most of which seems to be along the lines of "He's only taken it because he loves being in America, it's going to be a good for his family, it's very well paid, and he's not going to have to work too hard." Errr..sounds good to me. Changing your focus from your career to your family, concentrating on quality of life, these are very popular and respected courses of action these days. But apparently if you're a sports star they're a load of old b*llocks.
Exactly! Dumbest criticism I've ever heard in my life...

He's also really wanting to help popularize football/soccer in America. I think the best thing that can happen is other good players from around the world follow him in and draw bigger crowds to all of the stadiums in the MLS, and not just the L.A. Galaxy. I know we're not going to get world-class players in their prime, but hopefully some second-tier players start migrating to North America while they can still get around the pitch.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 01:08 PM

Sort of reminds me of how Pelé went to play for the New York Cosmos.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 01:13 PM

ESPN Deportes said 2,000. And that's in a single day.

Yowza.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 01:32 PM

Man...I thought this thread was going to be about beer.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 08:40 AM

americans don't like soccer

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Like Lineker said. He's going for his semi-retirement. Make a load of money, starts his "acting"-career and so on. He's not going there for footballing reasons. Just such a shame that the US league only gets people way past their best (he's been finished for the last couple of years).

That's a bit harsh. He's far from finished, although his best years as an athlete are probably behind him.

The reaction from the UK press was predictable.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
That's a bit harsh. He's far from finished, although his best years as an athlete are probably behind him.

The reaction from the UK press was predictable.
He's been finished for a few years now. Capello saw it, second-choice-Steve saw it and the top clubs around the world saw it. He's not a player who can get into the top 20 clubs anymore. And he realised that as well which is why he opted for the US instead of some second rate team in Europe.

It's just one more great PR move by him and his wife. That's all this is. His legs aren't in it anymore and mentally he has given up. Don't let the Northern American press fool you regarding that.

As a player he's been finished for some years now.

"Learn to swim"

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 02:44 PM

I live in LA! Woo!
Linkinus is king.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 04:15 PM

He's getting paid a quarter of a million dollars to kick a ball around.

Reminds me of A-Rod....

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
He's been finished for a few years now. Capello saw it, second-choice-Steve saw it and the top clubs around the world saw it. He's not a player who can get into the top 20 clubs anymore..

Capello is a moron, he is screwing up the few good thighs left in Real.

I hope Del Bosque returns soon. Everything started to go wrong when he, Hierro and Morientes were out because Florentino Perez, another moron.

Beckam has been probably the less trouble maker player we had in Madrid for a decade, good player too, not a Zidane level player, but a pro nonetheless. A true British gentleman, it will be surely missed in Real Madrid. He brought lot's of publicity and sponsor revenue and played well. A pity he didn't come earlier when the team had a nursering leader (Del Bosque) who was capable of isolate players from a vicious environment (president and followers...).

Just my opinion...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
Capello is a moron, he is screwing up the few good thighs left in Real.

I hope Del Bosque returns soon. Everything started to go wrong when he, Hierro and Morientes were out because Florentino Perez, another moron.

Beckam has been probably the less trouble maker player we had in Madrid for a decade, good player too, not a Zidane level player, but a pro nonetheless. A true British gentleman, it will be surely missed in Real Madrid. He brought lot's of publicity and sponsor revenue and played well. A pity he didn't come earlier when the team had a nursering leader (Del Bosque) who was capable of isolate players from a vicious environment (president and followers...).

Just my opinion...
Someone who won the Scudetto 7 times with 3 different teams is a moron? A coach that won La Liga with Real is a moron? I'm sorry but he's not the problem for Franco's team. The problem is the Presidents and board who messed up everything by hiring weak managers that allowed a group of players to dictate who plays and who doesn't play. That's the problem.

Capello is doing what is necessary by trying to remove the overpaid and lazy players Real have within their ranks today. I'm sure he won't be popular amongst the fans to begin with but when he starts winning things again most supporters of Real Madrid will start to like him again. After all, your last trophy was back in 2002/3 wasn't it? The year before Beckham joined IIRC.

"Learn to swim"

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 12:11 PM

....Capello is not the guy who come in the late 90s, his times are way behind.

He just bases everything on the result, so he doesn't care how terribly his teams play. This is not an issue in Italy where everything justifies the result, but Spain is another different history. Even more when Barcelona -and what the heck- any other team in the league can play beautifully something the current Madrid does not. He lost in the Bernabeu at least 7 times this year, they played poorly, no wonder the fans are all over him, the pressure is building up and the current president is no near an stable position.

I hardly believe he will last more than a couple months.

I agree Mijatovic failed clearing the bench this past summer, and this is hurting the environment inside the group, but Capello didn't help that much. None of the players he brought are really doing well, not at all.

Franco's team, good one.... I rather call it Bernabeu's team, but, your call...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Forum Links
Forum Rules