Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AppleTV is a piece of crap

AppleTV is a piece of crap (Page 2)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
After about 3 months of AppleTV, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed. It's the worst piece of Apple hardware I have ever owned.

The list of problems goes on and on
  • In WLAN mode, constantly loses connection to iTunes
  • Even in wired (ethernet) mode, connections are lost and/or stalled
  • Requires regular rebooting to "see" iTunes and be able to access the library
  • Movies are said to be in unplayable format - but play if I keep trying - sometimes takes 5 or more attempts
  • Audio of Handbraked movies is out-of-sync on AppleTV, but perfectly fine on the Mac
  • Automatic synchronization with iTunes (e.g. for daily video podcasts) never works. Sync just doesn't kick in automatically as it should.
  • iTunes keeps "losing" sight of AppleTV, won't reappear before restarting iTunes or rebooting AppleTV

It's absolutely retarded.

Could this be a hardware issue ? Anyone else having issues like that ?

-t
I know I'm late to the party here, but my 40GB Apple TV has been running great since I bought it way back when originally launched.

Streaming has worked literally 100% (yes, I mean "literally") since I brought it home. I'm streaming from my Mac Pro (previously to that a G5 tower) and its never stalled or stuttered. My kids and wife have purchased and rented several movies - both SD and HD - and all have come though and synced back without issue.

The unit has never rebooted itself spontaneously that I'm aware of (never while using it at least; can't tell you what happens at three in the morning...) and has never lost its network connection. Its currently connected via 802.11n to an Apple Time Capsule in 5GHz 802.11n-only mode.

It plays content off its local drive, streams media via iTunes off my Mac Pro and works perfectly with the iPhone's Remote application.

My Handbrake'd DVD movies - 61 of them so far - all play perfectly fine on the Apple TV and on my iPhone (and my wife's iPhone and the kids' iPod Touch).

In fact, we like the Apple TV so much my wife has suggested we get another one for the TV in the other room - and she almost never tells me to buy tech toys!

nash1017
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2008, 11:35 AM

My Apple TV is running great. And if the rumors of HD television show downloads is true, my Apple TV is going to be used even more.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2008, 02:43 PM

In other news, I have just cancelled cable tv.

I'm going all iTunes/AppleTV and VUDU, with the possibility of HULU via mac mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules