Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MagSafe adapter light flashes orange/green

MagSafe adapter light flashes orange/green
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2009, 02:33 PM

I just resurrected a MacBook 1.83 (OSX 10.5.5) which has been sitting idle for about a year. I charged up the battery, & noticed that the indicator light on the power adapter was flashing green/orange. I checked battery status, and it was alternating between 99% and 100%, in perfect time with the light.

Cause for concern? Time for a new battery?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 18, 2009, 02:52 PM

Maybe time for a new battery, or time for a new charger. Have you thought of zapping the PRAM? Resetting the SMU? it could be that some old data relating to the battery is still hanging around, confusing the charging system. You might also want to calibrate the battery...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2009, 09:46 AM

That happened to me and I called Apple as the macbook was under warranty. They replaced the battery because there had been a recall.
Mary

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
That happened to me and I called Apple as the macbook was under warranty. They replaced the battery because there had been a recall.
Do you happen to have a link to the recall notice? If there really is a recall, then the OP may be covered even if the MacBook is out of warranty.

There used to be an easy place to put in your battery and laptop's SN's and see if a recall was active, but I can't seem to find it on Apple's site.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2009, 01:31 PM

I know it's not the adapter, because it does the same thing with two different adapters.

I'll try the resets & calibration first, while digging up warranty info. I know it's out of warranty, but the Apple Care might still be good.

Thanks all.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2009, 11:11 PM

We had one of these in the shop today with these exact symptoms. This one was the cable from the battery to the logic board. Approx $70 plus some labor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules