Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ADVICE PLEASE: iPhone unlock on T-Mobile vs. on Virgin Mobile

ADVICE PLEASE: iPhone unlock on T-Mobile vs. on Virgin Mobile
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 10:20 AM

I've got a question I need to throw to the hive-mind: Whether it is better to wait for the iPhone 5 on Virgin Mobile, or buy an unlocked iPhone 5 and take it to T-Mobile. Both have a $30 plan for unlimited data/text and limited minutes, perfect for me, and neither come with a contract. My concerns are about performance and resale value of the phone.

Here are the pros and cons as I understand them, please correct me:

- T-Mobile will probably not give me 3G speeds until they upgrade their network.

- An unlocked phone on T-Mobile will probably have better resale value since it is GSM unlocked, rather than the Virgin phone which is still tied to their network (I don't quite understand GSM/CDMA locking but that's what I understand of it.)

- A Virgin Mobile phone may come out sooner than an unlock. (Would the difference in resale value be great enough to wait for unlock?)

If you can speak from experience using iPhone on T-Mobile that would be great, I'm a little concerned about compatibility/reliability.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2012, 10:02 AM

From someone who used an iPhone on TMobile's 2G for a few years before switching to a 4G Windows Phone... there's no going back for me.

I'll be switching to Verizon to get the iPhone5, rather than try to deal with TMobile + iPhone any more.

ImpulseResponse

andi*pandi
Sep 14, 2012, 11:51 AM

I have Virgin Mobile, and before you go with them, search and examine their coverage map VERY carefully. Do you ever go camping, skiing, out in the sticks? Your phone will not work. They have no roaming charges because there is NO ROAMING.

It works fine in a city or off a major highway though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules