Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 4)
ThinkingDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 09:01 PM

I just called 3 apple stores...

woodfield, Ill "They just told us they just shipped and we will have some this week."
keystone, indy "Whoa, not until mid august."
oak brook, Ill "No idea...but soon"

also of note is that the woodfield store had the new 20 and 23s in stock. keystone said those also not in until mid august.

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by redeye78:
...I was a little too late to pre-order mine on-line, so I'm gonna take my chances with the retail store here in seattle, I'm on their call list so hopefully I get a little heads up when they recieve the first shipment. I WILL BE CAMPING ON THEIR DOORSTEP!!
Which store? The guys over at Bellevue Square told me "any day now" 2 Sundays ago.. I don't think they know any more than we do. CDW is still telling me August 6th for my stock machine and I have a feeling that will slip further. Someone over on Macrumors in the UK said their reseller is telling them the 19th now. Honestly, at this point, I'll be absolutely amazed if anyone here gets their machine before mid-August.
-n

redeye78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 09:24 PM

neo-
U-Village seems to be on top of it. They got the new displays as soon as they were released. I know the head manager but she says "Only Steve knows when they will be here." They have a call back list for people that want to know when they recieve them, hopefully it works.

VukOnCrack
Jul 26, 2004, 09:27 PM

My local Apple retail store seems to have no idea. Two weeks ago they said "soon". Last Monday they thought they'd have them within the week. Over the weekend they said they had no idea when they were going to come.

Meanwhile my ship date from the Apple online store still says on or before 07/30.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 05:39 AM

I have it on good authority from a friend with a responsible job at an Apple retail store that the retail people usually know as much or less than the general public. He told me, "You guys are likely to know something before we do." A bit of an exaggeration there by him, but you get his meaning.

konakazi
Jul 27, 2004, 09:23 AM

"You guys are likely to know something before we do." A bit of an exaggeration there by him, but you get his meaning.
Oh I get it.... we're screwed!

I called MacConnection again yesterday and I was told August 6th again. This rep added however an unnerving "it could be a 2 week window after August 6th, but we expect them to ship the 6th."

Let it just be the 6th! Come on!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:23 AM

I still show 7/30

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 10:36 AM

ETA for my order is September 8. Changed to have 1GB RAM and added Final Cut Express. Educational order.

Ordered the 23" display. ETA is end of August.

Gives me enough time to reorganize the home office.

Apple order status webpage is my friend.

konakazi
Jul 27, 2004, 10:48 AM

September?!

wow. You must have nerves of steel.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by konakazi:
September?!
makes sense if you just placed the order...4-6 weeks is the timeframe on new orders....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 11:00 AM

I've had my trusty Blue and White G3 for this long. I'll just repeat the saying that patience is a virtue then pound my head on the empty desk space just waiting to be filled by that silver water-cooled beauty.

kcourt
Jul 27, 2004, 11:41 AM

I just called MacConnection re: my order placed on June 29 - the ETA is 8/17, plus or minus two weeks.

He was apologetic, but said "well, you know Apple"....

Kathy

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

Apple just told me that they are committed to my "on or before" 8/31 for my 6800 powered dual 2.5. Said that if it weren't for the 6800, it would be closer to 8/7, as I was one of the first to order.

I got a pile in the corner which includes my sweet new 23" but I refuse to open any of it until the box comes! call it G5 snobbery.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 02:31 PM

I just got my 20" display from my local apple retail store. At least I have a cool box to stare at for a month or so til my g5 comes

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 02:48 PM

I agree. If my 23" display arrives before the G5, it's getting out of it's box right away so I can drool every night.

Another very good reason to open the boxes early would be to ensure everything is there before the return period (if there is one) runs out.

Learned this from a bedsheet set I bought at Target. Bought a couple months ago and didn't open until this week, after returning from a month long trip overseas. Missing a pillowcase and return period expired.

Granted, bedsheets ain't a Mac but they're really good bedsheets!

Anyway...

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 02:54 PM

Just speculation on my part but I think they're waiting on two things:

1) More 2.5Ghz G5s from IBM, and
2) 10.3.5 to go GM

They have some 2.5Ghz G5s now - enough to start shipping in small to medium quantities, and if 10.3.5 goes GM this week it'll start shipping on or before Friday. From then on, they'll ship as fast as IBM can produce the chips.

Those lucky enough to have ordered within the first week or so of the announcement will probably have their orders shipped either late this week or early next. Just speculation on my part, of course.

johnnydr87
Jul 27, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by haunebu:
Just speculation on my part but I think they're waiting on two things:

1) More 2.5Ghz G5s from IBM, and
2) 10.3.5 to go GM

They have some 2.5Ghz G5s now - enough to start shipping in small to medium quantities, and if 10.3.5 goes GM this week it'll start shipping on or before Friday. From then on, they'll ship as fast as IBM can produce the chips.

Those lucky enough to have ordered within the first week or so of the announcement will probably have their orders shipped either late this week or early next. Just speculation on my part, of course.
I hope you're right...

Oh my, i hope you're right

please be right.............

please..
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 05:04 PM

I don't think it is gonna happen, I think they are waiting till the day of, to move the dates back, it will put them closer to the new ship date, making people a little less irritated I just can't believe the spread I am hearing, some with 7/30 dates (myself included) and alot with september dates?? to big a spread

lets hope I am wrong

johnnydr87
Jul 27, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
I don't think it is gonna happen, I think they are waiting till the day of, to move the dates back, it will put them closer to the new ship date, making people a little less irritated I just can't believe the spread I am hearing, some with 7/30 dates (myself included) and alot with september dates?? to big a spread

lets hope I am wrong
This is more likely, yes.

I'm going to get a dell and 12" powerbook if this happens....well, depending on how far they knock the date back
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by kloda:
ETA for my order is September 8. ...Ordered the 23" display. ETA is end of August.

Gives me enough time to reorganize the home office.
Funny, that is my perspective, too. I won't be able to enjoy my PMG5 to the fullest unless my office is clean and organized. Every time I wish it was here then I think of all I still need to do! The next month needs to be spent doing a LOT of paperwork. Here's some help if anyone needs it:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/000724a.cfm

http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol47/organize.htm

http://adresnet.com/organized.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by johnnydr87:
...I'm going to get a dell and 12" powerbook if this happens....well, depending on how far they knock the date back
Same thinking here. I'm hearing LATE August now for resellers which just won't do. I've got too much on hold waiting for Apple/IBM/whoever to get their act together. A 12" Powerbook that will ship in a DAY and be here the same week is looking more and more tempting. Couple that with an upgrade to my PC and I should be able to wait for dual 3.0's to start shipping.

The thing that bothers me the most about all this is not really the waiting, but the uncertainty. If I knew for a fact that I'd have this machine in my hands the first week of August, I'd be happy. But not even Apple's own reps know what's going on.

That said, fingers still crossed these things ship Friday..
-n

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 07:39 PM

I hope you're right...

Oh my, i hope you're right

please be right.............

please..
I think you and I have no choice but to wait till end of August, as we are waiting more on the 6800 and not so much on the G5...
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

johnnydr87
Jul 27, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
I think you and I have no choice but to wait till end of August, as we are waiting more on the 6800 and not so much on the G5...
then where are the dual 2.5 's without the 6800?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:02 PM

then where are the dual 2.5 's without the 6800?
If I'm not wrong, the dual 2.5's will ship in the next week to the very earliest of customers who ordered, but by the time the 6800 is available, there will be plenty of them ready to ship... I called Apple twice, and was assured that they are expecting no delay in getting me mine by NLT aug 31 plus shipping time. I ordered this thing the day after it was announced.
Apple user since 1981

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 10:21 PM

I dont understand how I ordered my 2.5 w 6800 on 7/12 and have had the apple store repeatedly confirm the 7/30 ship date while some of you who ordered much earlier are expecting your machines to ship in mid/late aug. I'm starting to expect a last minute delay of a month like I experienced with the dual 2.0 machine I ordered for work when they were released.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by jes:
I dont understand how I ordered my 2.5 w 6800 on 7/12 and have had the apple store repeatedly confirm the 7/30 ship date while some of you who ordered much earlier are expecting your machines to ship in mid/late aug. I'm starting to expect a last minute delay of a month like I experienced with the dual 2.0 machine I ordered for work when they were released.
Call and MAKE SURE that you are indeed getting the 6800... I would not be surprized if there was a mistake their. I am sure the card will not be ready by Friday. If I am wrong, please let us know, cause I will be calling Apple and bitching up a storm.
Apple user since 1981

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 11:38 PM

Both times I called apple I stressed the 6800 and said "are you _sure_ because I thought the card was not going to be availible until mid/late aug?". Both times they said "no, we have the parts and your order should be shipped as stated".

johnnydr87
Jul 28, 2004, 01:52 AM

YAYyyyy this is good news if it's true

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 07:25 AM

so close....yet so far away

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 10:25 AM

Both times I called apple I stressed the 6800 and said "are you _sure_ because I thought the card was not going to be availible until mid/late aug?". Both times they said "no, we have the parts and your order should be shipped as stated".
what was your order date? and did you do an edu discount?

Thanks
Apple user since 1981

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

7/12, everything stock... - modem and +6800

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 10:51 AM

7/12, everything stock... - modem and +6800
I ordered 6/29, so this makes no sense at all... I will call Apple, but with no info on you, I doubt I can get much from them. I will post what they tell me in a few..
Apple user since 1981

VukOnCrack
Jul 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

I just called the Apple Online store. They confirmed my ship date of 07/30 and told me that if it gets delayed then I will receive an email by the end of the day on 07/30. I asked if they have shipped any 2.5s and the guy had no idea.

Called the local Apple retail store. They said they don't know when they're going to get any but hope they will "any day", which he said more as a question than as a statement.

Who knows when these things will actually ship.

VukOnCrack

I just called the Apple Online store. They confirmed my ship date of 07/30 and told me that if it gets delayed then I will receive an email by the end of the day on 07/30. I asked if they have shipped any 2.5s and the guy had no idea.

Called the local Apple retail store. They said they don't know when they're going to get any but hope they will "any day", which he said more as a question than as a statement.

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Ok, just called apple again. The guy I spoke to said it did seem a bit fishy and he didnt think the card was available until mid august or later. I was then put on hold for 15 min while he spoke to a supervisor. When he returned he said the first batch of 2.5's will go out friday FOR SURE as will a limited # of 6800's. He said anyone ordering a 6800 now could expect it in mid august and if my order is delayed on friday I should be able to expect it mid august.

VukOnCrack
Jul 28, 2004, 11:26 AM

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 12:58 PM

interesting.... my order was 6/11...still says 7/30

would that be considered one of the "first"?

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 12:59 PM

Jesus, a triple post!

VukOnCrack
Jul 28, 2004, 01:20 PM

Jesus, a triple post!
My sincere apologies....

johnnydr87
Jul 28, 2004, 01:23 PM

Holy CRAP, my mom just told me that they charged our credit card today (the CC company called her)

MAYBE THEY'LL SHIP MINE SOON!!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

your teasing me damn you

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 01:39 PM

I just talked to what I would term a certifiable ding-bat over at the apple store, and she said that with out your order number she can't look into it much more than to say that mine is a "custom build" as as such may be delayed for that reason, for example the blue tooth, or second drive.. anyway, let me know if yours ships. I will call them again soon.
Apple user since 1981

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 01:52 PM

Holy CRAP, my mom just told me that they charged our credit card today (the CC company called her)

MAYBE THEY'LL SHIP MINE SOON!!
Are you sure it's a charge or is it an authorization/pending charge? Apple does an authorization for the amount of the PowerMac, usually within a day or two of the order, but some have had this authorization done a month after the order was placed.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

johnnydr87
Jul 28, 2004, 01:56 PM

no it's true... i promise

although it could have been a request to charge....i was a little confused by my mom's account.... she said they had a large charge by apple computer and they were making sure we made it

So it might just be an authorization/pending charge....

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 01:56 PM

I think I'll give Apple a call tomorrow to check on the status of my order. It still says "on or before 07/30/2004". Tomorrow they should know if they are shipping or not.
MacBook Pro

johnnydr87
Jul 28, 2004, 01:58 PM

It has to be true that they're shipping Friday...

or if your month-long scenario is true...then i'll die

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 01:58 PM

no it's true... i promise

although it could have been a request to charge....i was a little confused by my mom's account.... she said they had a large charge by apple computer and they were making sure we made it

So it might just be an authorization/pending charge....

Yep, that sounds like just an authorization. Sorry to bring down your hopes.
MacBook Pro

johnnydr87
Jul 28, 2004, 02:05 PM

Here's to hoping they ship in 1 or 2 days instead of 2 months.

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 04:23 PM

A new build of 10.3.5 was released to developers today, which is a great sign. If indeed Apple's been waiting for 10.3.5 (i.e. supporting the new 2.5Ghz units) and this is declared GM they'll probably start sending them out on Friday.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx10353.html

That would explain why some of you still have 7/30 as your shipping date, and it would keep Steve's promise of shipping this month. Anyway, we'll see!

VukOnCrack
Jul 28, 2004, 04:26 PM

A new build of 10.3.5 was released to developers today, which is a great sign. If indeed Apple's been waiting for 10.3.5 (i.e. supporting the new 2.5Ghz units) and this is declared GM they'll probably start sending them out on Friday.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx10353.html

That would explain why some of you still have 7/30 as your shipping date, and it would keep Steve's promise of shipping this month. Anyway, we'll see!
I'd rather they sent them with the beta I saw at WWDC and let me deal with updating it to the GM when it arrives. Sure, that's not good business practice but I want the darn thing now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules