Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung HWD550 Soundbar & LNB650 TV Audio Connection Issue

Samsung HWD550 Soundbar & LNB650 TV Audio Connection Issue
Sosa
Senior User
Aug 20, 2011, 12:56 PM

Just purchased Samsung's latest soundbar + subwoofer system, the HWD550, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the audio connection. The manual starts by telling me to connect the TV and Soundbar via HDMI but doing only that produces no sound. Apparently this is just for the purpose of obtaining Audio Return Channel (ARC) benefits, so I still need an audio connection? I thought HDMI would carry video and audio? Or is it that my 2009 LNB650 doesn't support this ARC and this is why I don't get audio?

The manual continues giving me two methods for the audio connection: analog, for which a is cable provided, and digital/optical. This seems to imply that the HDMI connection above is only part of the audio connection process. Is my understanding here correct?

I'm reading that digital/optical is a better audio connection, so I should go by an optical cable right?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Aug 20, 2011, 01:10 PM

It must be that my 2009 TV does not support this HDMI 1.4 standard. I'm reading monoprice description of ARC:
"The new Audio Return Channel allows the HDMI connection between a television and A/V receiver to transmit audio two ways, both upstream and downstream. This eliminates the need for a separate audio cable and ensures you maintain the high digital audio quality of HDMI. Your experience is further enhanced by the LipSync functionality of HDMI which matches the audio and video of your programming compensating for any processor delays. "
So the whole point of it was to replace the audio cable. Now just need to confirm what HDMI standard is in the TV.

No that can't be it, 1.3 HDMI should be good enough for sound even if I don't get this ARC stuff...

Alright, I had a friend answer this question for me: the TV does not have HDMI out, the manual was referring to having having device such as a cable box connect to the soundbar receiver and the receiver back to the TV with video and audio. I'm cable tv free, so I don't have that need. So I'll just purchase a digital cable from monoprice.
( Last edited by Sosa; Aug 20, 2011 at 01:24 PM. )
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules