Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS- which comes with built it router

Switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS- which comes with built it router
Sosa
Senior User
May 19, 2015, 01:19 PM

Hello,

I'm switching from Comcast internet service, for which I have a Zoom cable modem and Apple Airport Time Capsule, to Verizon FIOS which comes with a built in router + modem (?). Verizon charges me $8 to rent the device but it still is cheaper and faster than what Comcast has been offering me. So I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone here could answer:

1. How do I set up my Airport so that it access the Verizon WiFi and continue to provide the backup (Time Capsule) service?

2. Can I replace Verizon's router with the Apple Airport and save myself the $8 rental fee? Verizon's router is connected via a Coax cable which is not a port on the Airport. Is there some modem out there that I can use to replace the Verizon and connect it to the Apple Airport?

Thank you,

Sosa
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 19, 2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Hello,

I'm switching from Comcast internet service, for which I have a Zoom cable modem and Apple Airport Time Capsule, to Verizon FIOS which comes with a built in router + modem (?). Verizon charges me $8 to rent the device but it still is cheaper and faster than what Comcast has been offering me. So I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone here could answer:

1. How do I set up my Airport so that it access the Verizon WiFi and continue to provide the backup (Time Capsule) service?
Yup. Verizon router first, with the Apple devices downstream on bridge mode.

2. Can I replace Verizon's router with the Apple Airport and save myself the $8 rental fee? Verizon's router is connected via a Coax cable which is not a port on the Airport. Is there some modem out there that I can use to replace the Verizon and connect it to the Apple Airport?
Not really. Your FiOS isn't a cat-5 cable with co-ax going to the cable boxes in your house? Either way, if you've got FiOS TV, you need the co-ax for guides and on-demand.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I don't have or want TV service (I have over the air digital antenna). The cable going into the Verizon modem is a CatVX. No way to replace the Verizon router with a third party and save the $8 monthly charge?

For the bridge mode on the Airport, do I need it connected via Ethernet to the Verizon router or can it pick up the Verizon WiFi signal?

Thanks again!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 19, 2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Thanks. I don't have or want TV service (I have over the air digital antenna). The cable going into the Verizon modem is a CatVX. No way to replace the Verizon router with a third party and save the $8 monthly charge?
In theory, you can get a MOCA adapter to do it, and adapt it to Cat 5.

Ethernet Over Coax MoCA Network Adapter - Newegg.com

I've never tried.

For the bridge mode on the Airport, do I need it connected via Ethernet to the Verizon router or can it pick up the Verizon WiFi signal?
You can bridge it wirelessly, but I really recommend an ethernet connection between the two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules