Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I add an internal Bluetooth adapter

Can I add an internal Bluetooth adapter
Danoir
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 02:31 PM

Folks,

Here's my situation. I am trying to maximize my dollar on an iBook purchase. I see that MacMall has a bunch of free stuff thrown in for new computer purchases, so I'm inclined to go with them. However, I have to have Bluetooth, and I want it internal. This means, If I buy from MacMall, they have to get the actual computer from Apple and I can't get the free 512MB of RAM from MacMall, since the computer wouldn't go back to MacMall (for the installation) before making its way to me.

So, my question is: Could I buy from MacMall, and have the Bluetooth internal module installed at a later date, say, at a Genuis Bar or something? If so, I will buy from MacMall and do that. If not, I have to re-work the numbers since the MacMall deal would no longer include the free 512 chip and thus, its bargain would be greatly reduced.

Thanks,
Dan
( Last edited by Danoir; Oct 25, 2004 at 03:27 PM. )

-Q-
Oct 25, 2004, 04:17 PM

I won't say it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely. An Apple repair center might do it if you have a friend there, but I'd suspect even they would refuse as it would void your warranty. If it doesn't have to be internal, you can easily add BT yourself with a USB adaptor.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

I had this same question and I went to a local apple store and they told me that once you buy an ibook without internal bluetooth then you cannot add it later. I'm not sure if you can find a 3rd party retail store to add it in for you (i doubt apple makes the part(s) available for stores to buy) and the only other option then is to get a USB dongle, which kind of defeats the purpose of bluetooth in the first place

Ruahrc

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 25, 2004, 04:50 PM

What is the value of that 512 chip?

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules