Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!! (Page 4)
gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2004, 11:11 AM

Do the PBs run faster with 2 identical sticks? Now I have 1.5GB XBench gives me a lower memory score. Could be just that I have some more apps loaded (idle) though. Previously I had a pair of 512MB sticks.

walba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 12:09 PM

I ordered two modules this morning at $159 each. Here's hoping that they arrive soon, and that the new batch is as reliable as the ones that everyone has so far received from Outpost.

Meanwhile, has anyone needed to return anything to Outpost? How good are they about replacing defective RAM? I suppose I should have asked this earlier, but I wanted to make sure to catch this deal before it goes away -- and I can always cancel my order if I hear horror stories.

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info on the great deal. I ordered it at $139 with a #00 Philips screwdriver, and all seems to be well on my 12" rev C powerbook. I have put it to sleep countless times since installing the memory and no problems have occurred. Virtual PC is much smoother now.

badtz
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 06:35 AM

anyone have trouble with the ram yet?

seems like i must cave in

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 11:25 AM

Has anyone who ordered the RAM for $139 received there's yet? I ordered one of the $159 sticks and it shipped the next day. It has been over a week and the one I ordered for $139 still hasn't shipped.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Has anyone who ordered the RAM for $139 received there's yet?
=-0 where do you get it for $139??

walba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 01:48 PM

While I'm waiting for my 2GB, I started thinking about a couple more things:

1) This site warns that kernel panics can be caused by incompatible RAM when future versions of OS X come out. Is this a reasonable concern? I'm just imagining all of us finding ourselves up the creek when we upgrade to Tiger next year, and the one-year warranty on our Outpost RAM has expired.

2) Do I really need 2GB for my 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook? I've been running "Do I Need More Memory?" over the last day, and it seems like I'd be fine with 1.25GB. Will Panther make good use of the extra RAM?

William

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 02:52 PM

I had a batch of the incompatible RAM when the 15" AlBooks came out. It was immediately clear it was bad - within a minute of booting it would crash. This RAM has been fine for days now.

Panther will make use of whatever memory you have, as long as you need it to. Check out Activity Monitor in your Apps->Utilities folder and look at the "used" field at the bottom left to give you an idea of your typical RAM usage. Personally I typically use over a gig when doing Java development.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by iChelle:
=-0 where do you get it for $139??
It briefly dropped to $139 before returning to $159.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

badtz
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by walba:
While I'm waiting for my 2GB, I started thinking about a couple more things:

1) This site warns that kernel panics can be caused by incompatible RAM when future versions of OS X come out. Is this a reasonable concern? I'm just imagining all of us finding ourselves up the creek when we upgrade to Tiger next year, and the one-year warranty on our Outpost RAM has expired.

good link and post.

Anyone have additional insight into the possibility of this happening?

Is it likely?

eklektro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by gperks:
Do the PBs run faster with 2 identical sticks? Now I have 1.5GB XBench gives me a lower memory score. Could be just that I have some more apps loaded (idle) though. Previously I had a pair of 512MB sticks.
i got the same result with my 17" 1.3ghz and 10.34 w/Xbench. what's up with this? more tests....
please email me direct if anybody has any clues!
thanks much
EKG

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 08:39 PM

i couldn't wait so i just bought the ram at fry's for $199. i'm impatient like that. anyway, is it possible to replace the built in 256mb with my 512mb? if not, i'm selling it. also, what kind of test can you run to see the speed difference of the extra ram?
( Last edited by iChelle; Sep 13, 2004 at 02:21 AM. )

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 03:36 PM

I'm not sure why it should be slower. Unlike the new iMac, according to http://developer.apple.com/documenta...kG4/index.html

Note: The 15-inch PowerBook G4 does not use memory interleaving, so installing two SO-DIMMs of the same size does not result in any performance gain

badtz
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 03:27 AM

so i decided to make the plunge & max out the powerbook

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 05:17 AM

Me too. I've got a friend getting a pair of them for me. Crucial in the UK have just put up their prices which put me off getting it from them completely. Here's hoping all goes as well as it has for you lot.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 03:22 PM

after 3 whole days, my ram is still so far so good. i was even able to sell my 512 stick so that helped to offset the price of this 1gig stick. anyway, has anyone had any problems with this ram lately? there are places that never advise to buy such cheap ram. i just want to be sure this outpost/fry's ram will hold up for a while...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 05:17 PM

broke down & just ordered this.
convinced them to give it to me at the older price of $139.99
(okay...not true. but i TRIED to convince them)

even with 2-day ship, a great deal.

gonna tell everyone about this (but only AFTER i sell my 512meg stick! )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 05:22 PM

My stick is still thumping perfectly, just curious if anybody has had a bad stick yet?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 05:25 PM

that's what i wanna know too

Babar
Sep 15, 2004, 09:13 PM

Just wanted to let you know guys that it is back in stock online @ 159$

Does anyone know of coupons that could be used with this ?

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 12:03 AM

wow I am definatly getting this!!

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I went ahead and ordered a stick, even though I haven't bought my new powerbook yet (probably a 17"). Hopefully they'll get some in stock before I need it. This can be used in a rev A 12" aluminum as well? If so, I could put it in my current machine if it gets here early.
Icruise - did you (or anyone) try this in a Rev A 12" PowerBook?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

pgolf
Sep 16, 2004, 11:44 AM

It's been over a week. So far so good. Huge difference with multiple applications open on my 12" RevC.

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 12:22 PM

Two questions-

I have the current top of the line 15 inch al PB, I just want to be crystal clear, is this the ram I am looking for?

I am a graphics design major, and currently even photoshop is a bit sluggish w/ apple's factory 256x2 ram installed when working with filters on a big file. Would it be worth it to spend 320 bucks to goto 2 gig? Or should I just buy one to have 1.25 gig? Will I see a performance gain?

I am just afraid this deal will disappear and I wont be able to find another one this good. I am already torked I didnt come into this early enough for the $130 dollar 1 gigs...

snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

i am a graphic designer and was running a TiBook with 512 of RAM and it was a bit sluggish. i've recently upgraded to the newest 15" AlBook which currently has one 512 chip in it. i just got the email that my 1G chip just shipped from Outpost. i'm really looking forward to the upgrade to 1.5G of RAM and seeing the performance difference. i operate 1G of RAM at work and it's fast, can only imagine what 1.5G will be like!
15" 1.5ghz Al-Book 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, SuperDrive, 1.5G RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by nbnz:
Icruise - did you (or anyone) try this in a Rev A 12" PowerBook?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but my research leads me to believe that it won't work. The rev A 12" powerbooks took PC2100 DDR RAM while the later ones take PC 2700 (which is what this RAM is).

Bonne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 01:21 PM

Any of you who sold off your 512 sticks, how much did you get for them and where did you sell them? I have a sealed box of 512mb Apple Ram that I planned on installing and also 2x256mb that came in my Powerbook. Where can I sell these and for how much?

This is a great deal on the ram. I can't really pass it up, but don't want to have a ton of unneeded ram on my hands.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

i posted on craigslist.org (a free classifieds site). i sold my 512mb stick the same day to someone who gave me $70 cash. you can try ebay but then you'll have to deal with fees. good luck.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 03:35 PM

just installed on my revC 12" pb...
and the verdict is:

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

sghms
Sep 16, 2004, 05:54 PM

Just to let people know, they will export the ram to the UK ! I ordered last week online, even though it explicitly said not available for export. I thought lets give it a go and so ordered two sticks through the website.

I gave my uk credit card details and uk address and after waiting a few days for new stock, they were dispatched yesterday for delivery . I paid $30 (around �17) for dhl shipping, and am tracking now as we speak.

Just for any non-americans interested
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

zaphon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 02:21 AM

Just an FYI. I received 2 of these today for a rev. b 17" powerbook (1.33Ghz) and replaced the 2 512MB sticks I had in there. In one year of owning it I've never had a problem with it. In the past 12 hours I've had it lock up twice when attempting to wake it from sleep. Both times I had to do a forced reset and it came right back alive. I've used apple's hardware test, as well as several other memory testers and this ram comes up flawless. Yet for the life of me it wants to not wake up from sleep when sleeping for a few hours (it worked when only sleeping for a few minutes). So I'm about ready to scream as this makes no sense. The ram should be failing it seems, but it's not.

Any ideas? I've read this is a common problem with the 17" laptops in the apple discussions..

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2004, 02:36 AM

I would try running the powerbook with only one of the 1GB sticks and then the other to see if it is a problem with one particular stick. If it only happens when one stick or the other is installed, return the bad stick. If it happens with both sticks used separately, then they could both be bad. But in either case, I think you have some bad memory, no matter what the hardware test says.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 03:39 AM

Mine finally shipped yesterday after being backordered since 9/2 when I placed the order. Should come tomorrow, yipee!

BTW regarding the PB 12" rev. A compatibility- despite what any packaging or whatever else may say, it is my understanding that the RAM will work fine in the PC2100 slots since it is a lower clock speed than PC2700. The memory chips all come out of the same place and then after they are manufactured, they are tested. The highest speed that each particular chip will stably run at is then the rated speed for the memory. Therefore the PC2700 chips for sale here ran reliably at the factory at a max of PC2700 speeds. So it would make sense that it would also run reliably at a lower speed (PC2100). There isn't any difference in the chips themselves, just the level of perfection that each particular chip was manufactured at. In fact, one might hypothesize that buying PC2700 RAM for a PC2100 laptop would be giving it RAM that would be "super-reliable" since it would be runing at less than it's max rated stable speed. These differences in manufacturing and methods for speed rating are the basis of overclocking and what you would here do is in effect underclock the chip.

I have done this many times using older SDR RAM, but I must be honest and say that the only DDR system I own is my new Al PB. The only caveat that I can possibly see is that somehow with DDR RAM the timings of the chips are not correct, although I don't really believe that either since the timings are controlled by the motherboard.

IMO buying RAM and putting it in a lower rated system is no problem at all, especially since there comes a point at which the older, slower RAM becomes rare to the point that it actually becomes more expensive than the faster RAM.

Ruahrc

sarts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 06:54 AM

Bought the OWC 1GB module for my 15" AlBook. installed it and running perfectly fine. Machine's been up for a week now, waking from sleep mode without any problems. OWC gets my

sghms
Sep 17, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by sghms:
Just to let people know, they will export the ram to the UK ! I ordered last week online, even though it explicitly said not available for export. I thought lets give it a go and so ordered two sticks through the website.

I gave my uk credit card details and uk address and after waiting a few days for new stock, they were dispatched yesterday for delivery . I paid $30 (around �17) for dhl shipping, and am tracking now as we speak.

I am stunned. This morning my memory arrived and it only was dispatched wed night ! It arrived in the UK in less than 48hrs

Its working fine on a Rev A 17" PB so far and now I just need to sell my 2 x 512Mb sticks
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

Running smooth with 2GB in my 1.5 Ghz 17" PB. Fully maxed out now and feelin good.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

kant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 02:17 PM

Has anyone tried this with the G4/800 iBook. Apple says it maxes at 640 but these folks have one they claim works:

http://www.transintl.com/store/cate...uestTimeOut=500

and this backs it up:

http://www.lowendmac.com/bookrev/03/1114.html#4

And OWC makes the same claim for their 1gb stick:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...WC2100DDRSO1GB

At $159 I can justify it; $229/$269 is harder to rationalize
( Last edited by kant; Sep 17, 2004 at 02:25 PM. )

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 12:10 AM

2-1 GB sticks in my revA PB17. Seems surprisingly faster. So far, so good.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2004, 07:06 AM

Well, my 1GB stick arrived just a few hours before my new 12" powerbook and it seems to be working just fine so far.

As an aside, I happened to be walking by the front window of my house when the DHL/Airborne truck arrived and I saw the delivery woman literally throw the box with my memory onto my front porch and run off.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 02:53 PM

I was curious what kind of performance benefits this would have going from 768MB in the 1.33GHz 12" (I think that would make it 1.25MB RAM total.) Thoughts on this; other comparables?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 02:59 PM

so, anyone selling their RAM
iamwhor3hay

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
I was curious what kind of performance benefits this would have going from 768MB in the 1.33GHz 12" (I think that would make it 1.25MB RAM total.) Thoughts on this; other comparables?

this is exactly what i did with my revC 12".
apps definitely open faster; i have a lot of stuff open, np.
feels snappier.

& sold my 512 stick same day (on craigslist)

worth it!

jocnsoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 03:59 PM

The RAM in question http://outpost.com/product/4158153, is made by Legacy.
Just some more info on this RAM, which is working well in my G4 iBook by the way.

it is Legacy RAM, as mentioned in a previous post
Homepage here, http://www.legacyelectronics.com/
RAM here, http://www.legacyelectronics.com/pro...red%2C0#1024MB
the part number = 99x5KDG0-1PDG
Speed = PC2700
Technology = DDR
Speed = 333
Configuration = 128 Meg x 64
Chip Type = 64x8
Module Ranks = Dual
Chip Count = 16
ECC = Non-ECC
Latency = CL2.5
PCB Height = 30.48mm(1.20")

the PDF describing the RAM can be found here, http://www.legacyelectronics.com/upl...DG0-1yDG_A.pdf

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 05:45 PM

Thanks. I would imagine a 1/2-gig of RAM would make a difference; is there any quantifiable information (e.g., boot times, Photoshop rotates, etc.?)

thanks.

craigslist will offset this purchase, I hope.

Originally posted by fisherKing:
this is exactly what i did with my revC 12".
apps definitely open faster; i have a lot of stuff open, np.
feels snappier.

& sold my 512 stick same day (on craigslist)

worth it!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 09:32 PM

My 2 GB arrived after being on backorder for weeks. No problem as I'm patient and got in at $139 each. 2 GB for less than $300! At last, reasonably priced RAM! It's sitting on my desk at the moment as I can't find my mini screwdriver set. May install tomorrow.

For those thinking about selling their factory RAM, you may want to reconsider as customer installation of 3rd party RAM can botch the warranty, so it may be a good idea to keep it around and re-install it if a warranty issue crops up at a later date.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2004, 09:54 PM

There's nothing wrong with installing 3rd party RAM from a warranty perspective.

quadraphonic
Sep 18, 2004, 10:02 PM

FYI.. there's also some listed on eBay as well. Found this for $104.95US + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...706801341&rd=1

Not sure about it though.. buyer beware? Any names to stay away from entirely?
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by sghms:

Well they don't send to Australia

I don't know how it worked for you. After entering all my credit card details and Australian address I got a pop up at the end telling me they do not send international and to remove the order from the basket.

So American keep it all to yourself and don't share with the rest of us

sghms
Sep 19, 2004, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by iluvmypowerbook:
Well they don't send to Australia

I don't know how it worked for you. After entering all my credit card details and Australian address I got a pop up at the end telling me they do not send international and to remove the order from the basket.

So American keep it all to yourself and don't share with the rest of us
That really sucks Maybe I was lucky , but no pop up appeared for me, and like most I had to wait for a few days for them to get stock before they dispatched. Give it another go and you may get lucky hopefully. I agree with your sentiment though
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 12:52 PM

I have had the Legacy ram (Outpost.com) in my book for about 24 hours now. no problems. 2 sticks, 2GB.

My 17 seems to be pretty finicky about ram, at first, it would not recognize one of the sticks so I re-booted and reset the PRAM on startup. Bingo!

Works awesome!!

I will still wait about 2-3 weeks though before I sell my two 512 sticks......anyone interested??
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Forum Links
Forum Rules