Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [help] unreadable text in dialog boxes in firefox

[help] unreadable text in dialog boxes in firefox
jasonlund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 05:16 PM

i just got a new macbook and i looove it. i customized it to my liking but firefox is no cooperating

using cold dark chocolate (a cold dark mod), although this is not the only guikit to do it, i can barely read the text in dialog boxes in firefox. it's a very light brown on a white background. and incredibly annoying

here is a screenie of what i'm talking about. does anyone know how to fix this? thanks!

Visualize
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 07:00 PM

Firefox has never played nice with the various colors that are used in certain guiKits. Especially dark themes that you are now using has that problem. I suggest dropping Cold and going for something that is a bit brighter like Amora if you must use a theme and use Firefox too. I bet that you won't find any of these text-related issues in Safari One thing you could try and do though is to run the theme throught guiTweak in ShapeShifter and see if you can find that particular color and change it. And then see what happens.

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 07:22 PM

yeah i had already found the guiTweak feature of shapeshifter, tried changing all of the text that had the light brownish color, but no luck.

when i had my ibook, i used safari+saft. has a newer, better saft-like program come out, or is saft still the best solution for expanding safari?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 09:25 PM

Some people swear by Saft and SafariStand. I use both of these aswell whenever I use Safari.

Sorry to hear that you haven't had any luck with the colors.

nuj716
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 01:35 AM

yeah that's the problem with most dark themes.
Either use a lighter theme or just include it in the " exclude" list.
Kind of a bummer, but not much can be done right now.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 11:25 PM

Easy solution: Don't use FF on a Mac. Seriously.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Sandman619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 03:41 AM

The issue is not FireFox

The issue is modifying the Mac OSX user interface

Options for modification are limited, especially text. Various window styles use the same text style (color). In Aqua, Mac OSX's UI, windows stay within a light color range to accomodate dark text. Maintaining that balance is difficult when modifying the UI, especially when creating a dark interface. If one window has a dark style, then all text windows must follow. If not, then the result is light text on too light of a background or dark on dark. Since the various window types are not represented in the preview of Shape Shifter themes, this issue isn't readily aparent. Of the variety of dark themes, Exec & AmuNRaa have mostly worked around this issue, but not completely. Tweaking the Shape Shifter theme doesn't provide much help if the theme uses both light and dark window styles, since neither light nor dark text will be readable in every window style. Basically, if you want a dark theme, it'll come at a cost.

With Shape Shifter / Theme Park, there are skins for a few apps, mostly Apple's which can be used to mod the app individually. The skin design can affect that app specifically. In the case of FireFox, which offers its own skins (themes) using another theme might possibly help.

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules