Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > upgrade your 1G iPod mini using a 4GB Compact Flash card

upgrade your 1G iPod mini using a 4GB Compact Flash card
spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2007, 04:36 AM

what the title says. 8GB ipod mini anyone?
geektechnique.org: turn your iPod mini into a flash based iPod

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 05:52 AM

It's a very cool hack.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 01:00 PM

I was given a broken iPod Mini.. Turned out it only needed a new battery. So I replaced that and it worked fine. However, I have quite a lot of music, and 4gb wasn't even nearly enough. The thing was free plus I have a 4G 40gb iPod anyway. So I didn't mind the risk of hacking up the Mini again to replace the CF drive. I did a google search to see what was possible, and found the above mentioned page, which was a great help.
Seems quite a lot of people have created an 8gb Mini, which is much better, but still wasn't quite enough for me. Fortunaely I found some 16gb cf cards which were not too expensive (relatively speaking of course). So I ordered one and fitted it.

And hey presto, a 16GB iPod Mini was born

Actual formatted capacity is something like 15.1 GB. The screen shows 15GB.

Song access is instant now, and as the drive has no moving parts, unlike the old cf microdrive, the new battery seems to last an age before the thing stops playing.

Its a great way to revamp an old Mini
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 01:15 PM

PS, I couldn't really see the point of just replacing the original 4gb drive for another 4gb drive, even if it is solid state. You really may as well upgrade the capacity at the same time.

And.. More capacity may be possible too.

But I don't see these on sale anywhere yet. And even if you could buy them, they would likely be very expensive. 8 & 16GB cf cards seem like the best options in terms of price vs practicality. And even then, the 16Gb ones can still be very pricey.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 02:55 PM

I tried this with my sister's mini. Didn't work.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
I tried this with my sister's mini. Didn't work.
Apparantly you cant use just any CF card. Some work, some don't.. They need to be ATA enabled, amongst other stuff.. But I had read on the above link and one or two others that "Peak" CF cards work, so thats what I tracked down. Fortunately it was one of the cheaper varieties too.
Also, apparently the 1st gen iPod mini's are better suited to this than the 2nd gens. Although im not sure why it would matter. I didnt even know about this until after I modded mine. And im still unsure which revision it is.
Perhaps a certain amount of luck is involved too..

All the best

Forum Links
Forum Rules