Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iranian sisters face stoning for adultery

Iranian sisters face stoning for adultery
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 08:54 PM

They don't even have proof that there was any adultery, yet they will be stoned to death.

Iranian sisters face stoning for adultery: report

Two Iranian sisters convicted of adultery face being stoned to death after the supreme court upheld the death sentences against them, the Etemad newspaper Monday quoted their lawyer as saying.
The two were found guilty of adultery -- a capital crime in Islamic Iran -- after the husband of one sister presented video evidence showing them in the company of other men while he was away.

"Branch 23 of the supreme court has confirmed the stoning sentence," said their lawyer, Jabbar Solati.

The penal court of Tehran province had already sentenced the sisters identified only as Zohreh, 27, and Azar (no age given) to stoning, the daily said.

Solati explained that the two sisters had initially been tried for "illegal relations" and received 99 lashes. However in a second trial they were convicted of "adultery."

The pair admitted they were in the video presented by the husband but argued that there was no adultery as none of the footage showed them engaged in a sexual act with other men.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 08:57 PM

Oops, can someone move this to the Political forum. I goofed.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 09:17 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. And this is very common in Muslim countries.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 4, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Seriously?!?! Stoning someone for adultery?!?! Good idea?!?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 10:16 PM

Why not? She knew what she was getting into. There is no way she could have thought that she wouldn't have any consequences to face.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 10:20 PM

Why not? She knew what she was getting into. There is no way she could have thought that she wouldn't have any consequences to face.
If somebody threatens to kick a black kid's ass the next time he goes to school, is that guy in the right for murdering the black kid at school the next day? I think not. Morality and ethics do not boil down to "Make sure you warn people about the atrocities you're about to commit."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2008, 10:34 PM

Wait... let me get this straight...

You think it’s a good thing that two people are to be killed in a cruel and inhumane way for being in the same place with someone of the opposite sex?

I’m not quite sure what to say to that.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 5, 2008, 01:21 AM

Capital punishment for something that has not been proven?!?!?

And even if they did video tape it, encode it into multiple formats and then post it on youtube, metacafe, and her BFF's myspace page, you think they should be killed?!?!?

You've shown your true colors.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 01:41 AM

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. So, should we stone you for being in the presence of other women that you are not married too?

If men are allowed to marry more than one woman, then shouldn't women be allowed to have more than one husband?

Don't make rules based on gender. There is nothing sacred about men.

Apemanblues
Feb 5, 2008, 05:00 AM

Who cares whether they have proof or not, the actual law itself is despicable. Freethinkers and homosexuals are executed in Iran also. It's an open air insane asylum. The law has no business punishing people for the crime of having a private life.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is Islamic law. I'm supposed to respect that for some reason.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 05:41 AM

First off, even after getting past the ridiculousness of adultry being punishable by death... how the **#% is the sister guilty of adultery? They're both married to the same guy too?

If everyone involved is magically guilty of adultery, why then isn't any man involved being stoned?

What a batshit insane society.

And people wonder why the concept of rule of law is so important, and why it comes off as so stupid when people pretend they don't have rights in western democracies just because they disagree with some friggen politician about something.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Apemanblues View Post
Oh wait, I forgot, this is Islamic law. I'm supposed to respect that for some reason.
Yet, this is all okay, when it goes on in Saudi Arabia, our good friends, and staunch allies.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 03:16 PM

When did Apeman say that?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

natnabour
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 11:49 PM

Sounds like the husband of one sister had a personal agenda, and the other just got tangled in the mess.

The one thing I don't understand about Iran is the amount of time it takes for all of these "adultery" trials. There's an initial trial, then another, then another - couldn't and shouldn't they be spending more time doing something most productive? Something to help the economy perhaps?

Also, this has got to be the millionth time I've read about some women being charged for adultery, for defending themselves against their rapists, sunni women loving a shi'ite man, etc etc. Regardless of the "laws" Iran has imposed, they've OBVIOUSLY haven't worked. If the same trials, same issues keep coming up - there is something wrong with the system. The women aren't doing anything wrong, they've been oppressed and suppressed by men who think they're not worth a cent - can you blame them?

If you've been locked in an all-boys locker room for years and know that there's a peep hole where you can look into the girl's locker room - yet, uhoh...you could be KILLED for doing so - would you? My bet is you would.

And let's not judge an entire religion based on extremists. Just because Iran is governed by an secular and strict group, doesn't mean there aren't Muslims out there who don't respect and treat their women like queens. Also, Muslims aren't the only ones who believe having multiple wives is okay; don't forget our wonderful friends in Utah.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
And let's not judge an entire religion based on extremists. Just because Iran is governed by an secular and strict group, doesn't mean there aren't Muslims out there who don't respect and treat their women like queens. Also, Muslims aren't the only ones who believe having multiple wives is okay; don't forget our wonderful friends in Utah.
How dare you bring reason into this? It makes it very hard for some to remove the plank from their eye, when they only want to see the splinter in someone else's.

As to the topic of the original concern in this thread, it is tragic, but they no doubt think that some things we believe in are just as barbaric.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 12:14 AM

Also, Muslims aren't the only ones who believe having multiple wives is okay; don't forget our wonderful friends in Utah.
Having multiple wives is fine, nothing wrong with it.

Just make sure you have enough closet space.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Having multiple wives is fine, nothing wrong with it.

Just make sure you have enough closet space.
In that case women should be allowed to have multiple husbands.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 12:52 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...l/#post3595121
Yeah I saw this yesterday

Google honor killing
honor killing - Google Search
Honor killing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The father of two teenagers in Irving shot them and left them for dead in his cab on New Years day
Irving cops release 911 call by girl found fatally shot with | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
( Last edited by Chongo; Feb 6, 2008 at 12:59 AM. )
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
In that case women should be allowed to have multiple husbands.
Aye, consenting adults should be allowed to wed as they please. They should have as many wives or husbands as they like, it makes no difference.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Apemanblues
Feb 6, 2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Yet, this is all okay, when it goes on in Saudi Arabia, our good friends, and staunch allies.
Our respective greedy governments may think it's "all okay", but I most certainly do not.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
There's an initial trial, then another, then another - couldn't and shouldn't they be spending more time doing something most productive? Something to help the economy perhaps?

Also, this has got to be the millionth time I've read about some women being charged for adultery, for defending themselves against their rapists, sunni women loving a shi'ite man, etc etc. Regardless of the "laws" Iran has imposed, they've OBVIOUSLY haven't worked. If the same trials, same issues keep coming up - there is something wrong with the system.
You are joking, aren't you?

Taliesin

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 07:45 PM

45/47

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

And even if they did video tape it, encode it into multiple formats and then post it on youtube, metacafe, and her BFF's myspace page, you think they should be killed?!?!?

You've shown your true colors.

I dunno... It sounds as if you could be describing America here. Man comes home to find hot
wife in bed with other man. Man gets gun, Man shoots both. Man is arrested. Man is set free
with only layer fees to pay and a suspended sentence and/or probation. Sounds pretty common.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it!"
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
Man is set free with only layer fees to pay and a suspended sentence and/or probation. Sounds pretty common.

Sounds like man still has a felony conviction to me.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
When did Apeman say that?
He didn't -- I was just making a general note of America's foreign policy 2-faced-ness when it comes to self-interest. If it happens in Iran it's Horrible! Stoning! Heathens! Bomb them! If it happens in Saudi Arabia, which it does, well, you've seen the pictures of our president holding hands with their king.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Apemanblues View Post
Our respective greedy governments may think it's "all okay", but I most certainly do not.
sorry -- clarified above I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth -- I was speaking in the larger context of the issue. I happen to despise barbarism, whether it's at the hands of an economic trading partner or an antagonistic economic rival, as well.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This happens in *every* country that practices capital punishment. Doesn't make it right for Iran, but it certainly means that you can't stand up with incredulity against Iran if your country also practices punishing people in cruel and inhumane ways.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
This happens in *every* country that practices capital punishment. Doesn't make it right for Iran, but it certainly means that you can't stand up with incredulity against Iran if your country also practices punishing people in cruel and inhumane ways.
Depends on why they're being punished.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Depends on why they're being punished.
Does it matter? Even in Western nations that practice capital punishment, people have been executed without conclusive proof of their guilt. My point is not that Iranian law is ok, but that capital punishment is barbaric and this Iranian situation proves it (and that people who live in countries that practice capital punishment shouldn't be criticizing Iran for practicing capital punishment)

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 11:21 AM

Does it matter? Even in Western nations that practice capital punishment, people have been executed without conclusive proof of their guilt. My point is not that Iranian law is ok, but that capital punishment is barbaric and this Iranian situation proves it (and that people who live in countries that practice capital punishment shouldn't be criticizing Iran for practicing capital punishment)
Are you sick? There is NO comparison.

There is a huge difference between a murder that has been proven without a doubt that he has committed a horrible crime and who has had 20 years of appeals, vs. a young girl who has sat in the same room with another friend for a few minutes and then stoned to death within a month.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

BS. There is a huge difference between a young girl sitting in a room with a friend and a murderer who has been proven without a doubt, and given 20 years of appeals.

If its okay for them to stone the girl, then they should also stone the man that was in the room. Why aren't they stoning him?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2008, 11:38 AM

BS. There is a huge difference between a young girl sitting in a room with a friend and a murderer who has been proven without a doubt, and given 20 years of appeals.

If its okay for them to stone the girl, then they should also stone the man that was in the room. Why aren't they stoning him?
Do we know he isn't?
Iranian faces execution for drinking alcohol -- report - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos
TEHRAN -- A young Iranian man has been sentenced to hang for repeatedly drinking alcohol which is strictly banned in the Islamic republic, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The 22-year-old, identified only as Mohsen, was handed down the death penalty by a criminal court after being found guilty of drinking alcohol for a fourth time, the daily said.

"The defendant in this case has been sentenced to death and the official notification will be given soon," it quoted Judge Jalil Jalili as saying.

"According to article 179 of the Islamic penal code, if someone drinks twice and is punished for it on each occasion he should be executed on the third offence," Jalili said.

Mohsen was punished for drinking alcohol three times in May, June and October 2006. In the latest case, he was arrested for drunken and disorderly behavior on the street, the daily said.
Iran: Amnesty Criticizes 'Child Executions' - RADIO FREE EUROPE / RADIO LIBERTY
Capital Offenses

In Iran, capital offenses include adultery by married people, incest, rape, four convictions of an unmarried person for fornication, three convictions for drinking alcohol, or four convictions for homosexual acts among men.

Amnesty says that several of those on death row belong to minority groups -- Iranian Arabs, Afghans, homosexuals. The report says that some on death row are young girls who had been abused.
Shoueiry said Amnesty International is calling for concrete steps to stop the practice. "One of the main things that we are calling for in this report is a change of the law that continues to allow or to sustain heinous practices," she said. "One of the other things that we also are calling for in the report is that there should be a moratorium on all executions [in Iran]."

Amnesty says at least 71 child offenders are believed to be currently awaiting the death penalty in Iran, while 24 child offenders have executed since 1990, more than any other country in the world.

"The only countries in which the executions of child offenders have taken place since 2003 are China, Sudan, and Pakistan," Shoueiry said. "And as I said, there is a trend, there is a tendency towards either abolishing this practice in other countries or even imposing a moratorium on such executions. So in a way, Iran unfortunately is still going against the trend by continuing to execute children."

Both the Chinese and Pakistani authorities have insisted that those executed were aged 18 or over at the time the crime was committed.

Iran has signed the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which forbid executing anyone for an offense committed under the age of 18.
45/47

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 11:48 AM

What do these other stories have to do with the guy that was in the same room as the young girl that is being stoned to death? NOTHING!!!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2008, 12:00 PM

What do these other stories have to do with the guy that was in the same room as the young girl that is being stoned to death? NOTHING!!!
It has to do with Sharia law, and how little it takes to get a death sentence under it.
In Iran, capital offenses include adultery by married people
What this thread is about.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2008, 05:00 PM

Yes, it matters. I know you can see it, you're just trying to push your agenda.

All of us can debate the merits of capital punishment for murder all day, and both sides have valid points. However, stoning someone for having an affair is beyond barbaric, it's evidence of a mental sickness that seems to be at the root of Islamic Middle Eastern countries.
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2008, 05:14 PM

I don't really understand how these people can just kill each other so much in cold blood. It seems like it would have to bother you if you were sane.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't really understand how these people can just kill each other so much in cold blood. It seems like it would have to bother you if you were sane.
Ever been to the Middle East? Visit the more moderate countries (Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon) and simply observe. I can be a rather stoic individual, when I want, but I found myself in constant dismay.
- Thomas Paine

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's because you make the assumption that the whole world follows your definition of sanity, and what's right and wrong. You're projecting your beliefs on others and, as can be seen by this example, as well as many others, those beliefs hold no value to many others.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2008, 02:15 AM

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 12:40 PM

45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules