Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Vhs Tapes To Quicktime Movie

Vhs Tapes To Quicktime Movie
wagwag22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 10:54 PM

Hi,

I have some VHS tapes of the family. from which I would like to excerpt some portions
- to insert in my iMovie that I'm making on my iMAC

It was suggested to me that what I need to do is to convert my VHS tapes to a Quicktime format CD or DVD, that I can then edit out the clips that I need for my iMovie.

Is that the way to go and can you recommend any company to do that conversion ?

Are there any better suggestions for me ?

TIA
G

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2008, 12:49 AM

What you need is a DV bridge, which converts analog video to digital video. Many DV camcorders have these built in, if you have one or can borrow one. Just connect the VCR to the camcorder input and your Mac to its output. Then you can use iMovie to import the stream as you play the tape in the VCR, just as if it was a DV tape playing in the camera. I hope this makes sense.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 12:03 PM

Or EyeTV...it has a VCR import function that captures your content through the EyeTV hardware and stores it in a iDVD/iMovie friendly format on your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules