Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Send SMS for free on the iPhone using AIM

Send SMS for free on the iPhone using AIM
Rumor
Jul 14, 2008, 04:06 AM

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9690

Article says it all. Has anyone else tried this yet
?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 04:15 AM

That should work just fine. On OS X it does w/o a hitch.

There is a catch though. It only works with +1 numbers, IOW US and Canadian phone numbers.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 07:27 AM

Can't AT&T still track that your phone number was sending a message to another phone number, and still charge you for an SMS send and received? Or am I just paranoid?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Can't AT&T still track that your phone number was sending a message to another phone number, and still charge you for an SMS send and received? Or am I just paranoid?
What phone number is associated with your IP address? In other words, no. Besides, you won't be originating the SMS message from a phone, but from a computer, and you aren't charged by message for your Internet connection, right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
There is a catch though. It only works with +1 numbers, IOW US and Canadian phone numbers.
Great news for people in the Isle of Wight.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 07:49 AM

On the cell network the SMS will appear to be coming from an AIM server, not your iPhone.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 08:06 AM

Cool, works for me.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 10:05 AM

Plus, if you're really that worried about AT&T getting your data, turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. Problem solved.

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 10:39 AM

I just tried it via iChat, texting to my phone and got this:

"The other person appears to be currently offline. SMS Country not allowed."

Is that because I'm using iChat rather than AIM downloaded from AOL?
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
I just tried it via iChat, texting to my phone and got this:

Is that because I'm using iChat rather than AIM downloaded from AOL?
It sounds like you did it incorrectly. Make sure you include the "+1" in front of the phone number.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
That's what you get when you try foreign phone numbers, IOW any number that starts with something else than +1.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 11:16 AM

DOH! I had the + but forgot the 1. Works now. Thank you sir.
mind.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 12:56 PM

So this means that someone can write a smaller, more focused app that will only do SMS messages for free using IM servers? I like AOL IM but I'd like to see an SMS app that uses this workaround. I think this is a great way to stick it to AT&T since they stuck it to us by charging us even more for SMS.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 01:13 PM

^ Agreed.

Does the person receiving the SMS see it as coming from your AIM name? How do they know who sent them a message with this method?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 01:19 PM

^ Agreed.

Does the person receiving the SMS see it as coming from your AIM name? How do they know who sent them a message with this method?
Yep, AIM name. And the problem is that text messages sent to your phone number have no way of being rerouted, so you'd still be charged for incoming texts even if you used the AIM workaround every time.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 01:34 PM

Ahh interesting... That might blow holes in my thoughts about sticking it to AT&T.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
So this means that someone can write a smaller, more focused app that will only do SMS messages for free using IM servers? I like AOL IM but I'd like to see an SMS app that uses this workaround. I think this is a great way to stick it to AT&T since they stuck it to us by charging us even more for SMS.
someone already did. I saw it on the store the other night but skipped it since it only got two stars. I am sure there will be others that do the same yet to come but you're free to try the app already on iTunes now

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
[...]you'd still be charged for incoming texts even if you used the AIM workaround every time.
So, AIM can't receive text messages if a cell phone user were to reply to a text message that originated on AIM? Why would I be charged? Wouldn't the message just not go through?

Or, are you only referring to texts that originated from another user?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
So, AIM can't receive text messages if a cell phone user were to reply to a text message that originated on AIM? Why would I be charged? Wouldn't the message just not go through?

Or, are you only referring to texts that originated from another user?
I don't think you can text to an AIM user. If they wanted to reply they'd either have to sign onto AIM or text you via your phone number.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 02:33 PM

I don't think you can text to an AIM user. If they wanted to reply they'd either have to sign onto AIM or text you via your phone number.
I did. I sent a text to my phone via iChat. I replied using my phone (simple text message) and got the reply in iChat just as if they sent me an IM.

It shows up on my phone as coming from a ~6 digit number and my .mac email address.
mind.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2008, 02:35 PM

You can reply but only if they are still signed on to AIM on the Touch or some other computer. And then it goes straight to that device. It treats the text message like any other AIM chat conversation.

This ability to text phones from AIM has been around for years and years. I used it on iChat and my cell phone with eBuddy to log onto the AIM network for at least the last 6 years.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
You can reply but only if they are still signed on to AIM on the Touch or some other computer. And then it goes straight to that device. It treats the text message like any other AIM chat conversation.

This ability to text phones from AIM has been around for years and years. I used it on iChat and my cell phone with eBuddy to log onto the AIM network for at least the last 6 years.
Ah gotcha. Not a bad workaround then, as long as your friends know you'll be texting from AIM instead of your phone...

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2008, 08:04 PM

what about JiveTalk?
So if I send send a message with aim or something, from my iphone, it is counted as the data plan, which is unlimited, right?
And as long as I always keep the program logged in, the replys I get from people should go right to the aim program, thus not counting as sms texts, and charging me, right?
also, will the iphone vibrate, or ring, when new IM's are received?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
what about JiveTalk?
So if I send send a message with aim or something, from my iphone, it is counted as the data plan, which is unlimited, right?
And as long as I always keep the program logged in, the replys I get from people should go right to the aim program, thus not counting as sms texts, and charging me, right?
also, will the iphone vibrate, or ring, when new IM's are received?
SMS is different from your WiFi data; AT&T won't see it as anything but a web data transfer, and thus it won't count as an SMS message.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2008, 08:19 PM

so basically, it is unlimited texting? Thats awesome!
I just tried sending messages from ichat to m cell, it shows up as from some 5 digit number, 65015 or something. Is there a way so that using the iPhone, people can see it as from my name, not a number? Or I guess they can just add 2 contacts for me, one for calling, and one for texting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules