Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > China Flips Out Over Japan

China Flips Out Over Japan
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 09:15 PM

Anyone have any insight on this which isn't getting widely reported? Things don't quite add up.

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2012, 03:07 AM

Ostensibly, the protests are over Japan's purchase of a set of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea. The islands have been administered by Japan, but claimed by both mainland China and Taiwan.

Just under the surface, though, this was a trigger that ignited the long-standing hatred the Chinese have toward Japan, following Japan's invasion of China in the 30's and the many atrocities perpetrated by Japanese forces during the occupation and war.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 09:20 AM

What confuses me is why the government allowed the protests to happen.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 02:26 PM

China will allow any protests that aren't directed at the Chinese gov't. Hell, most of these protests were probably organized by Communist party leadership.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 02:05 PM

The Chinese government is not only allowing, but, to some extent, encouraging these protests. My assumption is that it is, at least partially, to provide a 'safe' outlet for the Chinese people's feelings towards their own government and avoid more problematic protests.

What I find especially concerning is that these are not just peaceful protests. Property is being destroyed and people are being attacked. It is not safe to be in China if you could be mistaken for Japanese right now (admittedly, it's never been particularly pleasant, but now it's downright dangerous).

I don't really think it would happend, but imagine the consequences if this were to lead to military action between China and Japan. The US would almost certainly get involved (we may even be obligated to by treaty), and taking on the Chinese is really not something we want to be doing right now. It could also lead to escalations between North and South Korea, re-igniting that conflict. Overall, it would be an incredibly bad thing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2012, 02:30 PM

I'm almost positive the Chinese would never start it. That's not how they play things.

WRT the actual protests, I'd be worried letting them get a taste would be a bad idea, but I can only get so far inside the head of how totalitarian dictatorships work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules