Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone Ever Do a Targeted Mailing Campaign?

Anyone Ever Do a Targeted Mailing Campaign?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 06:26 AM

Has anyone around here ever done a targeted mailing campaign? If so, do you have any recommendations or strategies for someone planning one right now?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Has anyone around here ever done a targeted mailing campaign? If so, do you have any recommendations or strategies for someone planning one right now?

Direct Mail or Email campaign?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 07:37 AM

Targeted mailings get about 1.5 percent of the list to respond. Really good is about 4.5 percent. This was about 25 years ago when I did one for a small company. We mailed out 10,000 letters.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Direct Mail or Email campaign?
Both at the same time, hopefully.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 12:43 PM

We would mail out postcards to customers at the computer store I used to work at. Look up the 9-digit zipcodes; it saves on bulk postage.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:42 PM

Use variable data printing and personalize each one, but don't do it in a generic looking way. What's it for? How many names?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 02:06 PM

Does that mean like those fake handwritten cards that are still junk mail? Those make me even more frustrated with my junk mail.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Does that mean like those fake handwritten cards that are still junk mail? Those make me even more frustrated with my junk mail.
No, it can be done in a classy, relevant way. Knowing the audience is key. I'm talking good design, integrated personalization, and interesting subject matter.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 02:14 PM

That's exactly what I want to do, KeriVit, on a reasonable budget. I lack experience in this area, though.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:32 PM

Most full color variable capable machines do 12x18 sheets. So if you are doing a 2 sided postcard, I would recommend a 5.5x8.5 size- it'll fit 4 up with bleeds, be a different size to stand out, and get the most of the sheet. Anything smaller will get lost.

With VDP, you can also swap images. So, you could have one photo for males, one for females. Or one for corporate audience, one for restaurant, that type of thing. Or if you know more about the audience, it can be a photo relevant to them. For instance, we did one for a travel agency, they knew who liked tropical, who liked Vegas, who liked adventure. Then we swapped the images based on that person's interest. Another we did was for a college. The pages of a booklet changed based on the recipient's interest in sports, major, and region.

It can all be done reasonably, as long as you plan it well and have a good database.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 02:41 PM

I use vistaprint.com, where I can design great looking postcards using their editing tools. Two sided/four color, 100 pieces for I think about 10 bucks plus postage. They have to be making their money on the postage, but if you go with the 3-4 week shipping the cost is quite cheap.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 02:46 PM

That single digit response rate is right, go into it expecting that.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 02:53 PM

In my experience, it's about 1-2% with generic direct mail, generally such mailings are about 10,000 +. However, VDP is mailed to a much smaller audience- say 2,000 and the response rate is around 10%.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 05:56 PM

Thank you for the info, KeriVit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules