Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sports™

Sports™
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 03:29 PM

We're 3 weeks in to a fairly whacky NFL season so I thought I'd share some thoughts and open the floor to some of our other football-loving residents.

How dominant does Seattle look right now? Looking past Wilson's continuing excellence you run smack dab into what has to be one of the most brutally efficient pass defenses in the league. It's a passer's game more than ever and few teams can contain talented QBs like Seattle can right now. Super Bowl bound IMO.

Thanks to injuries, murderers and trades my beloved Pats look weaker than the NE faithful have seen for a looong time. Eeking out some divisional wins against mediocre teams and walking circles around what has to be an utterly useless Bucs they have certainly had it easy. The true test will be next week against Atlanta and a team that can actually score points consistently.

Bengals look exciting, and the Green Bay game was outrageous (poor turtle) and injuries abound for Rogers and crew. 49ers have surprised me the most by appearing to be soft on offense and defense, but they have had one hell of a schedule. Last but not least I love watching Andrew Luck play. He is on par skill-wise with the other sophomore QBs but I think he is a better play-caller and ultimately a smarter QB.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot, the Giants are abysmal, but that's fairly par for the course at certain times every year.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2013, 04:27 PM

yeah, the Packers weren't playing well. Lack of discipline.

I think it's too early to write them off, but the injuries suck and definitely took a toll.
and the Bears 3-0 whodathunk. I don't think they are as good as it looks, but I maybe biased

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2013, 04:28 PM

Yep, Giants are 0-3, chalk up another Super Bowl win. Oh, and the Raiders are gonna have a bad night.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 04:04 PM

If the Giants won yesterday I would have started to come around to thinking they were indeed going to win the SB, but they'll just fade into mediocrity as the much better Manning gets the attention he deserves....speaking of which.

Brady vs Manning #14 was as wild a game as I've ever seen, and thankfully I didn't turn off the TV in disgust after the first half. Seems holding on to the ball when wind chills are in the single digits proved to be a challenge for both teams, and Manning's record in cold weather speaks for itself. The upcoming Chiefs / Broncos game is going to be killer.

I've been following the Panthers the last few weeks and it finally looks like Cam Newton is shaping up to be the quarterback he's been billed as for the last couple of seasons. The defense is fast and Cam is starting to read the opposing defenses very well. 7 wins in a row, including a nail-biter agains the Pats last week, and this team looks very legit.

I'm sill picking the Broncos for the SB, they have some key injuries right now, but when healthy I just can't see anyone beating them on the big stage. Not to mention Manning won't have to play in the cold.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 05:36 PM

I'm holding out for Manning vs Manning. The epicness of that can't be overstated.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 06:35 PM

Sadly I doubt that will ever happen. This is Peyton's year for getting to another SB before retirement and Eli's on a team that is far too mediocre to make it into the playoffs.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 07:02 PM

The Giants have defied the odds before, in spectacular fashion, plus I think Peyton has at least another year left in him, if not two. Would be a storybook way to retire, facing his brother, it all going down to the wire.
- Thomas Paine

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2013, 01:37 AM

Ravens repeat. You heard it here first.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 09:57 AM

If that means beating Denver at home again then I can get behind it.

Not related to the NFL, but too crazy not to post.

Auburn Game Winning Missed Field Goal TD Return vs Alabama - YouTube

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 11:21 AM

Our football season is OVER in DC. "Skin's have redefined 'suck'.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 11:55 AM

So many dropped passes by the Redskins during very important plays late in the game, it was cringe-worthy.

Seahawks are going to beat the Saints tonight, but everyone already knew that.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 12:36 PM

How about the officials giving the skins the first down, then taking it away late in the 4th on the final drive?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 12:47 PM

That was some embarrassing nonsense from the officials. Once a play gets off whatever incorrect call preceded it stands, calling a play for 1st and 10 and having it end up counting as your 3rd down is infuriating.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 01:43 PM

Do they fine refs?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 01:48 PM

They don't get to go to the playoffs.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 01:55 PM

There's a point system involved when the league determines a call was made improperly, and as Badkosh said the refs with more of these demerits won't get work in high-stakes games and can eventually be fired for poor performances.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If that means beating Denver at home again then I can get behind it.

Not related to the NFL, but too crazy not to post.

Auburn Game Winning Missed Field Goal TD Return vs Alabama - YouTube
I'm a Tide fan, right after the Volunteers (who have sucked for a very long time), and even though I don't like Auburn, I was impressed with the way they hung in there. It's not often that Saban makes mistakes in a game, he's like the Kasparov of college FB, but when he does you need to capitalize on them to have any chance of winning. My prediction: Ohio St will lose to Mich St (narrowly), Auburn will crush Missou, Fla St will pound Duke (major props to them for getting that far, though), and Auburn will play Fla St in the Nat'l championship... where they'll bulldoze them with their running game. Seriously, State doesn't have the d.line to handle the Tigers', it would get ugly, fast.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
They don't get to go to the playoffs.
Yep, and that's a really big deal, they make almost as much doing those games as they do the rest of the year.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2013, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm a Tide fan, right after the Volunteers (who have sucked for a very long time), and even though I don't like Auburn, I was impressed with the way they hung in there. It's not often that Saban makes mistakes in a game, he's like the Kasparov of college FB, but when he does you need to capitalize on them to have any chance of winning. My prediction: Ohio St will lose to Mich St (narrowly), Auburn will crush Missou, Fla St will pound Duke (major props to them for getting that far, though), and Auburn will play Fla St in the Nat'l championship... where they'll bulldoze them with their running game. Seriously, State doesn't have the d.line to handle the Tigers', it would get ugly, fast.
Excellent book day, really cleaned house.
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2013, 10:04 PM

Seeing the Cowboys blow yet another win thanks to a 4th quarter Tony Romo INT (two of them actually) brought a smile to my face after a tough loss in Miami. What a stinker Romo is, I feel bad for Cowboys fans, no way they should have signed him to such a massive deal.

If I was a gambling man, and I'm not, I'd say Seahawks Broncos SB with Seattle coming out with the ring.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2013, 11:10 PM

Yeah, The Packers - Cowboys game was a doozy. I almost turned the TV off at half time. No way the Packers would come back from a 26-3 lead of the Cowboys.

The second half was just ridiculous.

-t

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2013, 12:59 PM

Yet another outrageous Packers finish, you must be getting a few grey hairs this season Turtle!

Manning throwing for 55 TDs is simply astounding, it really is. I have a feeling this one is going to stand for a while before a team with the offensive capabilities of the 2013 Broncos comes along again.

To the surprise of no-one the Cowboys finished yet another 8-8 season by losing the NFC East to whoever showed up. When is Jerry Jones going to step out of the way and let competent people run his football team? There's way too much talent on that team for this to happen year-in and year-out.

Early predictions for the playoffs:

-The Saints are going to stink it up at Philly and continue their less-than-stellar road record.
-Chargers will lose to Cincy
-Chiefs are going to sneak by the Colts in what I predict will be a very close game.
-Packers riding high on the return of Rodgers will beat the 49ers, and possibly everyone else they face.

AFC Championship will be Patriots/Broncos and NFC will be Packers/Seahawks. If the weather is brutally cold in Denver and the Packers have as much steam as I'm giving them credit for the SB will be Patriots and Packers. On the flipside I wouldn't be surprised to see Broncos and Panthers either. Of course either of these scenarios require the NFC to beat the Seahawks at home, which is not an enviable position.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2013, 04:00 PM

Skin's need a new coach. Perhaps a new owner? Players with heart? Skills?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2013, 04:04 PM

I could be wrong, and often am, but I don't think Peyton Manning is going to let anyone else beat him this year, he has that "I'm not f***ing around" look in his eyes. I believe he's going to earn his league MVP this time, in a mighty way.
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2013, 04:06 PM

It's not him I doubt really, Broncos D is weak, and weak Ds lose championships.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2013, 04:46 PM

Well, that's true, but there's something to be said for being able to score at will. I'm not saying he'll pitch shutouts, but hanging over half a century on all their opponents in the playoffs would probably be enough.
- Thomas Paine

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2013, 05:22 PM

It's not him I doubt really, Broncos D is weak, and weak Ds lose championships.
Tell that to the 2010/11 packers... and hopefully the 2013/14 packers

I'm hoping for either a SB31 (packers v patriots) or SB32 (packers v broncos) matchup. Either way a shootout is likely and it will be super exciting. Hopefully NY's shitty weather doesn't mess it up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2013, 06:49 PM

Yet another outrageous Packers finish, you must be getting a few grey hairs this season Turtle!
Talk about it. I'll also need some fake nails so I can bite some more.

It's simply amazing how much Rogers makes a difference.
The whole team was still a bit rusty, but the potential is there.

This really is reminiscent of 2010/11.

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2013, 08:46 PM

Pretty salty about that KC-SD game. If that last domino had fallen in place (or the refs had not missed a penalty on the end of regulation FG) I think the Steelers might have made a run. Quite the up and down season with a lot of missed opportunities.

I guess I'll be rooting for a Seahawks-Broncos matchup.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2014, 09:34 PM

-The Saints are going to stink it up at Philly and continue their less-than-stellar road record.
-Chargers will lose to Cincy
-Chiefs are going to sneak by the Colts in what I predict will be a very close game.
-Packers riding high on the return of Rodgers will beat the 49ers, and possibly everyone else they face.
Ugh, now you see why I'm not a gambling man.

Saints/Eagles game was kinda boring, but by the second half it was clear the Eagles are doomed to fail. Andy Dalton played another stinker of a game and let the friggin Chargers beat them at home. Closest I came to a correct prediction was the Chiefs/Colts game, which was indeed very close, but Luck played a monster second half, damn he's good in the 4th. Packers D just couldn't close the game against Kaepernik's legs, thought Rodgers played damn well in spite of the loss.

So, from now on any of my predictions will have the opposite outcome, on to next week...

-No way the Colts beat Tom Brady at his house, so they will win with a dramatic 4th quarter drive.
-No way the Chargers beat Peyton at his house, so somehow they will win, god knows how.
-No freakin' way the Saints manage to beat Seattle at home, so Brees will throw for 4 TDs and 400+ yards.
-Undecided about Panthers/49ers, but I'll give the edge to Carolina's stout D, so Kaepernik will throw for 2 TDs and run for another pair.

So AFC will be Chargers/Colts and NFC will be Saints/49ers, Superbowl will be Chargers/Saints and the Chargers will get the win, since I 'd bet good money on them never making it.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2014, 03:44 PM

Well divisional weekend went as expected besides the Panthers looking weaker at home than I gave them credit for. The best two teams in the NFL will play for the NFC championship next week and if the Seahawks weren't playing at home I'd give a lock to the 49ers.

The Patriots have evolved into the most effective running game in the NFL, move over Lynch, Blount is the big man now. So we have the age-old battle yet again, Manning vs Brady for the AFC title. If you asked me halfway through the season what the outcome would have been I would have unequivocally said Broncos win in a rout, but now that the Pats can control the clock by running the ball extremely well and keep Peyton and co. off the field for large swaths of time, I'm not so sure. Neither team has lost a single game by more than 7 points. Neither team has a shutdown defense. One team has the highest-flying pass offense on earth, another team has unearthed a decades-old approach in the run game with great success. A home game against the Chargers would have been the easy road, but I am extremely happy that the road for Brady's 4th ring runs through Denver and Manning, through the unbeatable team on their home field. Bring it on.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2014, 03:47 PM

Seahawks over Broncos 24-14

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2014, 07:34 PM

Gooooo Niners!

Damn, Peyton was a machine today.
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2014, 07:46 PM

Wasn't expecting the pats to play that big of a stinker, quite a disappointing final effort.

As I was typing this Seattle turned the ball over on their first play, this is going to be a slug fest for sure.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2014, 10:27 PM

Urk that knee in slo mo.....blech. Terrible handoff to follow, too.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quite a sloppy fourth quarter on both sides.

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2014, 11:07 PM

Tell us how you really feel, Richard

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2014, 11:24 PM

I think Erin Andrews crapped her pants during that interview.

Sherman is such a tough-guy loudmouth, and I would love to have him playing CB on my team.

Seattle looked a little shaky executing on offense towards the end of the game, with the way the Broncos played today they better get that ironed out before game time.

Seahawks D is going to give Peyton an ulcer, hopefully his defense shows up big time.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 02:10 AM

Neither Seattle or the Niners impressed, they both played like .500 teams. Except for Lynch, he's a bad mother****er.

I don't think it'll be a walk, but I believe Peyton has better than even odds of coming out with more jewelry.
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 03:00 AM

I don't think Sherman should have spoken to Erin Andrews like that. Classless.

Also, the unsportsmanlike conduct flag against him, the choking motion. Really?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2014, 12:29 PM

I'm sticking with this

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Seahawks over Broncos 24-14

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I don't think Sherman should have spoken to Erin Andrews like that. Classless.

Also, the unsportsmanlike conduct flag against him, the choking motion. Really?
He just made the athletic, great play that brought your team to the Super Bowl. He was a little jacked up. He is a smart guy, he speaks well and he writes a weekly column for Sports Illustrated. He just got a little carried away.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
He just made the athletic, great play that brought your team to the Super Bowl. He was a little jacked up. He is a smart guy, he speaks well and he writes a weekly column for Sports Illustrated. He just got a little carried away.
A little? He's more known for his trash talking than anything else. If he shut his mouth down a bit maybe people would respect him more.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
A little? He's more known for his trash talking than anything else. If he shut his mouth down a bit maybe people would respect him more.
+1 He sounded like a narcissistic asshole.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2014, 04:08 PM

Regarding this Richard Sherman thing, I read the transcript of his interview. And I didn’t see anything wrong with what he said. But given all the “controversy” I figured I should watch the video to see what all the fuss was about since I missed the game itself. The game had just ended and dude made a game winning play that sent the Seahawks to the Super Bowl. Clearly he was hyped … and those of us who've actually played football know the feeling. Anyone who has ever played knows high emotionality is part of the game. And his comments were actually quite tame compared to the sh*t talking that takes place on the field away from the microphones.

This article here sums it up nicely. Pro football players have to adopt a “warrior” mentality just to play the game. So why do viewers expect them to give post-game interviews 30 seconds after the game ends with all the adrenaline still pumping as if they are giving a business presentation? IJS

Priest Holmes, the superb running back for the Kansas City Chiefs in the early 2000s, would shake his head every time we talked about postgame interviews. The whole thing just didn’t make any sense to him. Holmes was no taller than 5-foot-9, by midseason he probably weighed 200 pounds, he wasn’t exceptionally fast by football standards. He had blown out one knee, blew it out again, got his hip knocked out of joint and had been hit so hard he was not sure how he made it to the sidelines.*

*These were not necessarily called concussions in those days ... and those days were not that long ago.

Somehow, though, he was for a brief time the best running back in the NFL. In 2001, he led the NFL in rushing. In 2002, he was on pace to the greatest season a running back ever had until he blew out his hip after being horse-collared in Denver (this was one of the plays that led to the no-horse-collar rule). In 2003, he set an NFL record for touchdowns.

He did it with study, with precision (he was like Jerry Rice in the way he would repeat his steps) and with an otherworldly level of toughness. In an average game, he would get hit 40 or 50 times by angry men the size and with the torque of Ford F-150s. After a game, he would need a half hour of massage and an hour in a hot tub just to feel something close to human again. This is not unique. This is football.

“Do you have any idea what kind of mental state I have to get myself into to play a game?” he would ask.

“No,” I would say.

“It’s pretty extreme,” he said. “It’s like I have to become another person. It’s like I have to become a warrior. We all do.”

Then he would smile and shake his head and say, “And then, five minutes after the game ends, y’all are asking us questions about how we feel and what did we think of this play, and what’s it like to lose, and we’re supposed to talk like none of that just happened.”
Richard Sherman's rant part of NFL mindset - NBC Sports | NBC Sports

And for the record, apparently Crabtree made some comments about Sherman during the offseason that precipitated the enmity between the two. I don't know what was said and Sherman didn't elaborate in that article. What we do know is that when the game was over Sherman goes to shake Crabtree's hand saying "good game" and is met with a shove to the face. So who truly showed "poor sportsmanship" here?

OAW

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2014, 04:43 PM

I agree with your take OAW. Sherman talks a LOT of trash, but he can back it up with his play.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
What we do know is that when the game was over Sherman goes to shake Crabtree's hand saying "good game" and is met with a shove to the face. So who truly showed "poor sportsmanship" here?
Actually, if you watched the game, Sherman pats Crabtree on the ass and says something to him, then Crabtree shoved him in the face. Both teams have pretty lively interactions, and yeah, Sherman did just make a beautiful play that sent his team to the super bowl so he was running on pure adrenaline. I get a little cocky if I get a couple of strikes in a row in bowling so I can only imagine what that would feel like.

I don't really care honestly, and as I've said I'd would love to have a CB with his skill on my team any day.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2014, 05:21 PM

A lot of the Seahwaks players were doing the hand shaking thing because the media had talked about them being dirty, trash talking. So when they made a good play they would immediately go up the opponent in question and try to shake their hand. On the outside it looks like good sportsmanship, but it is really to get under the skin.

Sherman is a very intelligent person but also a VERY good cornerback. Crabtree has repeatedly talked about being the best wide receiver in the league. I don't fault Sherman for being ultra pumped after that play. He can do some intelligent, get-under-the-skin trash talk. Think Larry Bird: he was a monster trash talker and he did it in clever ways but he ALWAYS backed it up. I've seen plenty of dumb trash talking, gloating in the regular season. One of the Steelers wideouts does this a lot and it really bugs me: Antonio Brown.

But he made the play that sent them to the Super Bowl and he has a history of backing up his trash talk. I think he was fine; what I do not think is fine is how much the media will overplay this for the next two weeks.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I agree with your take OAW. Sherman talks a LOT of trash, but he can back it up with his play.
So what have we learned here, kids?

You can be an obnoxious asshole prick so long as you're #1?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 06:04 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules