Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sports™

Sports™ (Page 26)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You're confused, again, but that's okay. *pat *pat* Teams were standing for the Anthem long before then, it's only been strongly recommended since 2009. Before 2009 teams often stayed on the locker room before the Anthem, but if they were on the field beforehand, they stood with the rest of the people in attendance, like normal Americans do.
Well you certainly aren't confused. You're just ducking the issue. Which is that the Pentagon is paying the NFL for the teams to NOT stay in the locker room which was the much more established practice.

OAW

andi*pandi
Sep 27, 2017, 06:26 PM

You can't help yourself, can you? You need help.
He didn't particularly say anything outrageous did he? Do folks at home generally stand at attention for the anthem, any sport? I only recall doing so for the superbowl, but it was a party, and part of the festivities, and no I don't watch football weekly.

(freudian slip, I typed foodball. What the superbowl is really about, good wings.)

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 06:55 PM

You can't help yourself, can you? You need help.

Not everything is about you dude. I was making a statement about your average NFL fan, hows about you cool your jets

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Also the NCAA news kinda got buried
Pitino?

They finally got him. It's just kind of weird that this was the final straw and not the prostitution scandal.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
(freudian slip, I typed foodball. What the superbowl is really about, good wings.)
Amen.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 08:02 PM

Its a national anthem, the anthem of a nation. I'm sure your armed forces have various anthems of their own. A nation is bigger than its armed forces and the last thing they fight for is to be worshipped at sports games. The only people putting twisted spin on anything are those looking for publicly legitimate reasons to take offence.

When you instigate a protest you get to say what its about, not your detractors. Its a considered, respectful gesture and a solid cause for protest that everyone should be behind because your cops are killing children and getting away with it because the children are black. If you think thats ok, you're wrong and you're an asshole. If you say its not happening, you're wrong and it might be because you're stupid, but its more likely to be because you're an asshole. Or both. If you object to the protest because you say its disrespectful to the troops, then again you might just be an idiot but you also might be an asshole and you might well be both.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Pitino?

They finally got him. It's just kind of weird that this was the final straw and not the prostitution scandal.

Amen.
Pitino is peanuts. They arrested a guy from adidas and those assistant coaches.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What is kneeling then?
A form of protest. Is kneeling equivalent to turning your back to the flag? Now that I could see and indictment.

I indict Trump for his railing, not the entire country. He doesn't personify the country. He's not Columbia.
The President doesn't personify the country? He's literally elected to represent us.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Well you certainly aren't confused. You're just ducking the issue.
I'm not ducking anything, go to bed.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Not everything is about you dude.
Yeah, act all confused. I'm buying that.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2017, 12:05 PM

A form of protest. Is kneeling equivalent to turning your back to the flag? Now that I could see and indictment.

The President doesn't personify the country? He's literally elected to represent us.
Tom Wolf personifies Pennsylvania?

Did Kaepernick not indict the country with his protest?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 01:10 PM

It's as obvious as the day is long ...

President Donald Trump believes NFL owners are "afraid of their players" when it comes to the recent controversy over players kneeling during the National Anthem, he said in an interview that aired Thursday.

The comments suggesting that NFL owners -- who are overwhelmingly white -- are afraid of their players -- the most prominent protesters are black -- prompted accusations that Trump is continuing to stoke a controversy with strong racial undertones.

"I have so many friends that are owners and they're in a box," Trump told Fox News. "I mean, I've spoken to a couple of them, and they say, 'We are in a situation where we need to do something.' I think they're afraid of their players, if you want to know the truth, and I think it's disgraceful."

He continued: "They've got to be tough and they've got to be smart."

Trump was referencing recent protests by NFL players who have kneeled during the National Anthem. The President and his aides argue that the protests are unpatriotic and disrespectful to the flag and those who have fought to protect the US. But the players, some of whom have said they are protesting social injustice and police brutality, argue that they are exercising free speech.

Trump first stirred up his feud with the NFL nearly a week ago and has since expressed satisfaction with the response, telling conservative group leaders earlier this week that his remarks have "really caught on" and that he said "what millions of Americans were thinking."

But by wading into the debate about protests by mostly African-American players during pre-game National Anthem ceremonies, Trump is exacerbating questions about his own attitude toward race and his apparent determination to keep tugging at the societal and cultural fault lines in American politics.

The protests began after then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the National Anthem last year, telling NFL media he was "not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Trump's claim about NFL owners' fear has racial undertones, critics say | CNN.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 01:20 PM

Sure, "racist", right.

Talk about "dog-whistling"...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2017, 01:34 PM

Tom Wolf personifies Pennsylvania?

Did Kaepernick not indict the country with his protest?
Yes, the governor represents the state. Granted it's a lot less meaningful unless the state or person is famous.

No, he indicted law enforcement, and probably the justice system as a whole as being racist.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2017, 01:40 PM

The problem I see is people see him kneeling and project their own biases on him. A man kneels during the anthem maybe you shouldn't assume he's dissing the entire country. Maybe you can ask him why.

The problem is that people don't like that answer, either. Many are offended, either at the disrespect of law enforcement, the accusation that an institution in this country can be racist, or, my favorite, that someone in a position of 'privilege' should dare to air their opinion.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 01:48 PM

Sure, "racist", right.

Talk about "dog-whistling"...
CTP your denial on this issue falls into the same category as these two fools right here. It's readily apparent.

A Missouri bar owner is being criticized for a “Lynch Kaepernick” message posted outside his establishment.

Jason Burle, owner of the S.N.A.F.U. Bar in Lake Ozark, ordered Marshawn Lynch and Colin Kaepernick NFL jerseys, which he taped down as “doormats” in a manner that read, “Lynch Kaepernick.” Burle was angry with NFL players taking a knee to bring attention to racism in policing, KOMU reports.

Former San Francisco 49er free agent Colin Kaepernick started his anthem protest in 2016 and it has been swelling in recent months.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said when he started his civil rights protest. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

“It’s not a race thing,” SNAFU owner Burle claimed of his jersey. “A lot of people want to twist it around to be a race thing.”

Taylor Sloan, a patron who complained about the message, argued the owner was “expressing hate, violence and continuing American racism under the faux guise of patriotism.”
Missouri bar owner crafts ‘Lynch Kaepernick’ doormat — then claims ‘it’s not a race thing’ | RawStory.com

A Washington County fire chief Paul Smith has resigned in wake of his use of a racial slur to refer to Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

“The media dragged my fire company and township into this as well as my family,” Smith told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in a statement.

The Steelers coach explained to the press that he had decided to keep his team in a stadium tunnel to avoid dealing with the controversy surrounding the American National Anthem. Smith then called Tomlin a “no good N*gger” on his Facebook page. He then added “Yes, I said it.”

He also blamed the media for labeling him a racist.

“I am not the racist the media portrays me as,” Smith said.
Fire chief who called Mike Tomlin a ‘n**ger’ resigns — and blames the media for making him look racist | RawStory.com

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 28, 2017 at 02:00 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2017, 01:50 PM

Yes, the governor represents the state. Granted it's a lot less meaningful unless the state or person is famous.

No, he indicted law enforcement, and probably the justice system as a whole as being racist.
Represent ≠ Personify

His official statement was "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color".

That sounds like indicting the country.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2017, 01:54 PM

The problem I see is people see him kneeling and project their own biases on him. A man kneels during the anthem maybe you shouldn't assume he's dissing the entire country. Maybe you can ask him why.

The problem is that people don't like that answer, either. Many are offended, either at the disrespect of law enforcement, the accusation that an institution in this country can be racist, or, my favorite, that someone in a position of 'privilege' should dare to air their opinion.
I'm wasn't offended by Kaepernick's protest. I think it's in line the scale and nature of his grievance.

I'm irritated by its invocation for lesser transgressions.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2017, 02:07 PM

What Lesser transgressions?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2017, 02:16 PM

What Lesser transgressions?
To give the clearest example... calling Kaepernick a "son of a bitch".

This is a lesser transgression than institutionalized, racist oppression.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2017, 02:23 PM

It was a god damned dog whistle for his white base. Lesser transgression? It's a fantastic example of the entire problem.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 02:28 PM

But Trump is the top law enforcement official in the country. Who just recently made a speech to a group of New York police officers and encouraged them to rough up suspects. Like this thing is a game or something. The acting head of the DEA is going to resign from the Trump Administration in the wake of the POTUS advocating such blatant misconduct. That dovetails directly into Kaepernick's protest.

DEA leader rebukes Trump telling officers to be 'rough' on suspects | CNN.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 02:39 PM

The backlash to Trump's racial demagoguery is growing stronger ....

As President Donald Trump's motorcade drove to Indianapolis International Airport, this is the sight that greeted it:

A man taking a knee on the sidewalk. In his hand, a folded American flag.

The photo was shot Wednesday by a photographer accompanying the President as he left Indianapolis after delivering a speech on tax cuts at the state fairgrounds.

The photo offers no other detail about the man, or whether he's a veteran.

After Trump criticized football players who kneel during the National Anthem to protest police brutality, there have been numerous instances of veterans, athletes and others taking a knee in solidarity. There has also been a backlash over the protests.

Trump and his aides have argued the protests are unpatriotic and disrespectful to the flag and those who have fought to protect the US.
A man holding an American flag kneels as the President's motorcade passes | CNN.com

OAW

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2017, 03:43 PM

Mike Tomlin has a better win percentage than Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher, and yet there is so much vitriol surrounding him every season. I wonder what sets him apart from the other coaches? Oh yeah...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:18 PM

CTP ... blah blah blah
OMG, a racist bar owner, you say? Well, I'm sure he won't be writing any more public policy or influencing more public opinion after that, will he? I'm shocked that he reached such a lofty community position with his racist ideas. And they found a fire chief, too? Oh the humanity! Hey, I heard that the dog catcher in Memphis said some nasty things about Tomlin too, better get CNN on that guy, there's no telling what could happen. *firmly clutches pearls*

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:22 PM

The backlash to Trump's racial demagoguery
"SOB", while certainly rude, isn't a racist insult, no matter how you try to spin it, give it a rest.

I can see why the Left is willing to die on that hill, though. They're trying to warp it into a civil rights violation, obviously. Good luck w/ that.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I wonder what sets him apart from the other coaches? Oh yeah...
He had one guy who defied him by standing in plain view, paying respects to the Flag while the rest of the team stayed indoors? The fact that story went viral all over the world, sitting in the top spot of the news cycle for >24 hours?

Anyway, go on with the (false) narrative that it's a racist thing, the faster we get that card completely worn out, the faster the country can finally move on.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:37 PM

OMG, a racist bar owner, you say? Well, I'm sure he won't be writing any more public policy or influencing more public opinion after that, will he? I'm shocked that he reached such a lofty community position with his racist ideas. And they found a fire chief, too? Oh the humanity! Hey, I heard that the dog catcher in Memphis said some nasty things about Tomlin too, better get CNN on that guy, there's no telling what could happen. *firmly clutches pearls*

Your denial really does run that deep.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:42 PM

That would mean you had a point, but you don't.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 05:58 PM

That would mean you had a point, but you don't.
Oh but I do. Which is that you are hellbent on denying the obvious. Just like that bar owner and the fire chief. It's just what you do.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 06:32 PM

^^^^

Like how you seem to think that your own myopic viewpoint represents "respect for the military" and those players who are protesting does not.

Baltimore Ravens anthem singer and National Guard veteran Joey Odoms resigned this week following the protests and displays of unity staged by NFL players around the country.

Odoms, 28, does not feel the players were attempting to disrespect the military or country. Quite the opposite.

He fought for their right to protest -- including a tour in Afghanistan -- and if fans want to attack players for protesting, rather than understand why they're taking the knee, he no longer feels "welcome" delivering "The Star-Spangled Banner" to them on Sundays, he said.

He announced his resignation via Instagram, but told CNN that he took issue with his own treatment by police -- echoing a mainstay of Colin Kaepernick's rationale for pioneering the take-the-knee protests
-- and with the Ravens' fans booing last year during President Barack Obama's message on the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Ravens anthem singer explains resignation, defends NFL protests | CNN.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 10:40 PM

Oh but I do.
Nah.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 05:45 AM

It was a god damned dog whistle for his white base. Lesser transgression? It's a fantastic example of the entire problem.
But Trump is the top law enforcement official in the country. Who just recently made a speech to a group of New York police officers and encouraged them to rough up suspects. Like this thing is a game or something. The acting head of the DEA is going to resign from the Trump Administration in the wake of the POTUS advocating such blatant misconduct. That dovetails directly into Kaepernick's protest.

DEA leader rebukes Trump telling officers to be 'rough' on suspects | CNN.com

OAW
It took me a bit to figure out why I'm both seeing the points here, and getting a totally different read at the same time.

The following is exaggerated for clarity.

Trump thinks racism doesn't exist.

Trump thinks cops get an entirely undeserved bad rap.

Trump thinks he can't oppress Kaepernick because Kaepernick and him are on a level playing field.

Trump isn't dogwhistling his base, his base thinks the same thing.

He deserves to be indicted for these opinions, but it's a different indictment than the one he would deserve if he knew just how wrong these opinions are.

I feel as if he's being indicted on the latter.

As a pedantic aside, I've never heard of the president being considered a law enforcement official. The attorney general gets the title of top LEO.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2017, 07:20 AM

^^ That's not being pedantic at all, it's accurate.

and yes, racism does exist, it simply doesn't exist at the volume the Left believes, not by a long stretch, and it exists on all sides.

(Cue the "minorities can't be racist because of privilege" junk. If you're using racist name-calling and frequently engage in bigotry, you're a racist.)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 12:02 PM

^^ That's not being pedantic at all, it's accurate.

and yes, racism does exist, it simply doesn't exist at the volume the Left believes, not by a long stretch, and it exists on all sides.

(Cue the "minorities can't be racist because of privilege" junk. If you're using racist name-calling and frequently engage in bigotry, you're a racist.)

I think you are putting people into boxes again thinking that there is some sort of quantitative volume which the monolithic left subscribes to.

I would say that the left thinks that racism is too apparent and too problematic in our society and needs to be exposed and addressed, and quite frankly I think one would have to have their heads in the sand to disagree with this.

I don't know if you'll read this, but I think this is probably applies to others in here too in some sense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I would say that the left thinks that racism is too apparent and too problematic in our society and needs to be exposed and addressed, and quite frankly I think one would have to have their heads in the sand to disagree with this.
This is like a computer expert saying a normie has their head in the sand.

This is second nature to the computer expert, and they lose sight of how baffling it is to the normie.

Some normies will never "get it" no matter what. Some normies will never "get it" because their expert forgot what it's like to be a normie.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 05:36 PM

This is second nature to the computer expert, and they lose sight of how baffling it is to the normie.

Some normies will never "get it" no matter what. Some normies will never "get it" because their expert forgot what it's like to be a normie.

That may be true, but like global warming deniers, at this point I think we have to slap these people around a little bit to wake them up. Somehow.

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2017, 05:49 PM

Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. . . well, he gets it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. . . well, he gets it.

Maybe that's my problem, not wanting to believe that some people are just not capable of getting certain things. That isn't a thinly veiled shot at anybody here in particular either, because I can't really tell if CTP is just doing his devil's advocate thing to some extent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 10:53 PM

That may be true, but like global warming deniers, at this point I think we have to slap these people around a little bit to wake them up. Somehow.
This is one of the reasons I picked the analogy I did. When did a normie ever turn into computer expert by being slapped around?

The answer is never.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2017, 11:27 PM

This is one of the reasons I picked the analogy I did. When did a normie ever turn into computer expert by being slapped around?

The answer is never.

Are you trying to rehash our previous conversation about slapping around climate change deniers, or are you playing a different point?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2017, 11:54 PM

The Left are no experts, anyone who believes that "racism is too apparent and too problematic in our society" is conflating it beyond all proportions and has bought the hype (again). The media has quite the dog in this fight too, driving traffic to their sites and feeding off the mayhem generated. IOW, like the "Red Scare" decades ago, there's much more hysteria built up around racism than there is actual racism, and what racism does exist is equally spread across all races.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 12:49 AM

Bullshit.

Where are all the incidents of cops using excessive violence on Asians?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 01:19 AM

Are you trying to rehash our previous conversation about slapping around climate change deniers, or are you playing a different point?
The takeaway's the same: to understand someone's thought process, one must get inside their head.

With AGW I was winging it. With the idea of "racism is overblown" I'm not. I have a much firmer handle on where that comes from, and the reasons, with one arguable exception, aren't a head in the sand. That explanation is so off-base, I unfortunately feel compelled to question whether an attempt to get inside their head has even been made.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 01:35 AM

The Left are no experts, anyone who believes that "racism is too apparent and too problematic in our society" is conflating it beyond all proportions and has bought the hype (again). The media has quite the dog in this fight too, driving traffic to their sites and feeding off the mayhem generated. IOW, like the "Red Scare" decades ago, there's much more hysteria built up around racism than there is actual racism, and what racism does exist is equally spread across all races.
I think the left blow it out of proportion, but I'm still a fair amount closer to the average left opinion on it than the average right.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 10:44 AM

The takeaway's the same: to understand someone's thought process, one must get inside their head.

With AGW I was winging it. With the idea of "racism is overblown" I'm not. I have a much firmer handle on where that comes from, and the reasons, with one arguable exception, aren't a head in the sand. That explanation is so off-base, I unfortunately feel compelled to question whether an attempt to get inside their head has even been made.

That's how I felt too, but I'm starting to feel now that certain people are not capable of certain things. I mean, I suppose everybody is capable of almost everything, but there is a point where this statement that is not literally true becomes true for all intents and purposes, or really what one should operate off of.

I would say too that when it comes to these things that people are not capable of, it requires an active rather than passive effort to overcome these things on part of the individual rather than others. I certainly have a number of embarrassing built-in limitations, I appreciate the effort it can take to confront these things and want to do so.

This goes beyond the concepts of persuasion, but I think even when it comes to an act of persuasion there can be a lot of hidden and complicated stuff packed into this. I'm pretty sure, for example, that there is far more than meets the eye with Chongo and Badkosh when it comes to global warming aside from the facts.

Racism is perhaps an even more complicated affair. What have you learned trying to get inside heads?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2017, 12:52 PM

I would venture to say that it’s really easy to dismiss racism and sexism as being “overblown” when you are a white male in a society where such things don’t impact you. But that’s just how certain people are. They are simply arrogant and/or willfully obtuse enough to convince themselves that they know other people’s ongoing experiences better than they do.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 01:35 PM

I would venture to say that it’s really easy to dismiss racism and sexism as being “overblown” when you are a white male in a society where such things don’t impact you. But that’s just how certain people are. They are simply arrogant and/or willfully obtuse enough to convince themselves that they know other people’s ongoing experiences better than they do.

OAW

CTP has everybody figured out, don't mind him. Also a great example of that empathy deficiency that has been brought up.
( Last edited by besson3c; Sep 30, 2017 at 02:14 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2017, 05:02 PM

I would venture to say that it’s really easy to dismiss racism and sexism as being “overblown” when you are a white male in a society where such things don’t impact you.
That's not true (not that you care), I've had several racial slurs leveled at me today, along with a death threat (which I turned over to Twitter to deal with), but that's par for your assumptions, isn't it?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2017, 08:34 PM

Are you sure the death threat was racially motivated? You do tend to rub people the wrong way.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2017, 11:21 PM

"I will kill you if I ever find you whitey." (For saying that I felt the NBA was justified in requiring its players stand for the Anthem.)

Hrmm, not sure, but that seems pretty racist.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2017, 11:26 PM

Perhaps CTP needs a lesson in sample sizes? One's Twitter experience does not account for the entire white/black experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules