Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trash Doesn't Ask

Trash Doesn't Ask
cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

My Trash doesn't ask if I'm sure if I want to empty the trash and permanently delete the files in there unless I empty the Trash from the Finder menu. If I ctrl-click on the Trash and click "Empty Trash" it deletes it without asking. Is this normal?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 05:24 PM

you can switch this on or off in the Finder preferences.......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 05:29 PM

Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:10 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 06:13 PM

Wrong three times. The Dock doesn't ask before it empties the trash even if that option is selected in the Finder.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
My Trash doesn't ask if I'm sure if I want to empty the trash and permanently delete the files in there unless I empty the Trash from the Finder menu. If I ctrl-click on the Trash and click "Empty Trash" it deletes it without asking. Is this normal?
Yes, it is the normal behavior.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cryer
Aug 5, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Wrong three times. The Dock doesn't ask before it empties the trash even if that option is selected in the Finder.
this is true.. ive wondered about this for a while but have since forgotten
whats the deal? anyone know?

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2005, 11:08 PM

That is because if you go to the Finder menu you might accidently click on empty trash when you meant to go to system prefs or something. If you actually right click (CTRL-click) on the trash icon it is obvious that you want to empty it. The only other option when right clicking on it is open and that is just a left click anyways. The current behavior seems completely logical to me.
--Laurence

cleanup  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 12:28 PM

Certainly, but say you're about to empty the trash, then you suddenly remember something, perhaps you still need one of the files there, and in that fleeting moment that the warning dialog pops up, you remember, and you click cancel.

Better safe than sorry.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I agree that there should be a warning. According to Apple's usability guidelines, programs should ask for confirmation any time you're about to do an irreversible action.
Chuck
___

JMII
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laurence
The only other option when right clicking on it is open and that is just a left click anyways.
Actually left click opens, left click and HOLD gives both open and empty with NO warning so it is possible to screw it up. One would think the Finder preference would take control and ask regardless of how you choose to empty, but that's not the case. Very strange UI... and the fact that the trash is sitting down in the dock is still a bit odd to me as well, but clearly someone at Apple thinks it should be there.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Yeah, I agree that there should be a warning. According to Apple's usability guidelines, programs should ask for confirmation any time you're about to do an irreversible action.
The contextual menu is invoked by a modifier key or a right click, and there are many examples throughout Mac software (first and third party, both new and old) of modifier keys changing the default behavior in such a manner.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 7, 2005 at 12:33 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yes, it is the normal behavior.
It is NOT the normal behaviour. It should ask for a confirmation. I opened a bug years ago to Apple (back to 10.0 days) but never got fixed. They are aware of the issue, but doesn't seem like a high priority...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2005, 05:20 AM

Finder > Preferences > Advanced has an option to show warnings when emptying the trash or you can turn it off.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Finder > Preferences > Advanced has an option to show warnings when emptying the trash or you can turn it off.
Everyone knows about this. It doesn't work if you empty the trash from the Dock.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 08:13 AM

Notice how menu items have an ellipsis (...) after the command if it will prompt you for further feedback before completing the action?

Well the 'Empty Trash...' command from the Finder menu has this ellipsis, so you know it will be prompting you further.

The dock command for 'Empty Trash' has no ellipsis, and therefore is the correct behavior to not prompt the user for confirmation.

If you don't really want to empty the trash, don't right-click on it in the dock and click 'Empty Trash'!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
The contextual menu is invoked by a modifier key or a right click, and there are many examples throughout Mac software (first and third party, both new and old) of modifier keys changing the default behavior in such a manner.
Can you offer some examples of right-clicking completely disabling security in respected user interfaces? It sounds like a horrible thing to me.
Chuck
___

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 07:31 PM

I also miss the old OS 9 feature that let you know how many files and total size you were deleting.

That contextual menu item delete without warning is dangerous. Especially when there is an option to warn you because that means you want to be notified of such events. There's no reason another method of trash emptying should ignore that.

I think that OS X needs to embrace more of the unix mentality about letting us set up our systems the way we want instead of giving us just an on/off switch. We still don't even have an easy/reliable way to install themes and stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules