Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Adding to your stock portfolio: do you look beyond market performance?

Adding to your stock portfolio: do you look beyond market performance?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 01:16 PM

I don't own stock, but with the recent uncovering of too many companies going for a quick buck and laying off thousands of employees, do you feel like it is not enough that a company's price is inflating for you to buy? Or do you do your homework ON EACH AND EVERY company you own?

Do you get informed on the economic health of their consumers? On the true value of their product line? On their management compensation system (no golden parachutes)? Can you call a market analyst's BS when they tell you to buy or sell?

Or do you blindly buy stock because it is historically low priced, or because it is going up?

Or do you make political statements with your portfolio? Like boycotting companies who have outsourced jobs out of your nation? Or companies/products that are not environmentally responsible? Or non-unionized companies? Or companies that gouge their market and practice anti-consumer tactics (like locking them in contracts, raise prices and add start charging fees to every service imaginable)?
( Last edited by The Godfather; Nov 2, 2008 at 01:46 PM. )

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2008, 01:57 AM

2 possible reasons this thread has no replies:
* nobody cares
* everybody buys stock blindly

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2008, 02:31 AM

I pick option #2. I look at a couple of things about the stock... past performance, current value, plus I read some of the recent "expert" reports on the company (TheStreet, MarketEdge, Jaywalk, etc.) but for the most part it is just a guess. My stocks haven't done all that well so far though, so it's probably not be the best way of doing things. But my own picks aren't doing any worse than my Mutual Funds with the professional managers, so I guess I am doing as good as the career stock pickers anyway.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
2 possible reasons this thread has no replies:
* nobody cares
* everybody buys stock blindly
Variation on #2 - indexing.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 07:55 AM

Never before a thread topic has encountered so much agreement by forum members.
Anybody follows the product developments and marketing of their portfolio companies (other than AAPL)?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2008, 01:28 PM

I have followed the Motley Fool advice. Find a company that makes products you love, investigate their past performance, and future, invest if you feel comfortable. Believe me, that will narrow your portfolio quickly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules