Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal Friggin Slow!!

iCal Friggin Slow!!
porpoise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 09:43 AM

Sheesh. I didn't buy a Quicksilver to be able to run a program like iCal at lower than slug-speeds. This is ridiculous. A simple task like resizing the window is NOT fluid. A simple task like moving between months takes a few seconds. Anyone else having these troubles? Anyone else pissed?

eno
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 10:08 AM

Slow but usable on my Pismo 500.

Moving between months is dog slow, but fortunately the most commonly-used view (week view) is not as bad.

porpoise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 11:07 AM

I expect WAY more from Apple than Slow but Usable.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by porpoise:
I expect WAY more from Apple than Slow but Usable.
Maybe not for a version 1... I would settle for stable/reliable over lightning fast live window resizing...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 02:35 PM

iCal does appear to be a bit sluggish on my iBook 700 with 256 MB RAM. I haven't tried it yet on my iMac 800 with 768 MB RAM. Perhaps it will be better there. So far I have 2 main complaints....

1. Clicking on an event in the calendar to select it takes up to a second for that event to be "highlighted". That is, it can take nearly a second before it visually displays the bold outline and drop shadow. It is in fact selected immediately in the code because I can select an event and hit Command+I to bring up the event info window even before the event is highlighted in the calendar view. The delay in visual feedback is very disconcerting.

2. Double-clicking and event in the calendar to bring up the event info window is a hit or miss proposition. 9 times out of 10 it simply doesn't work. I've tried double-clicking at various "speeds", but there just doesn't seem to be a pattern to get it to work consistently. I know you need to click it once to select the event, and then double click it to bring up the event window ... but it still appears that something is seriously wrong the the "click" event handlers. Command+I and clicking the "I" button work just fine.

Is it just me, or do a lot of the brushed metal Cocoa apps from Apple seem to suffer from similar GUI sluggishness? iPhoto, iCal, Address Book?

OAW

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 02:48 PM

Wait for Apple to remove the debug code...from everything.

tomtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 02:55 PM

I think that this might be the new M.O. for Apple. Make sure the first release is really, really slow, then release an update to bring the speed to just plain slow. That way everyone will be raving about how fast it is compared to the first version instead of complaining about how slow it is.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2002, 03:50 PM

Switching from months, weeks, or days is instant for me. (month to month, I mean, not month to week)

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2002, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by OAW:

Is it just me, or do a lot of the brushed metal Cocoa apps from Apple seem to suffer from similar GUI sluggishness? iPhoto, iCal, Address Book?

OAW
yeah. isn�t it a shame that even on a g4, which is supposed to do real-time 3d rendering (i remember that macworld-pixar-demo back then), can�t even perform simple tasks like window/column/whatever resizing in acceptable speed...?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Macrat
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 09:52 AM

Everything is instant for me, but I dont have any events or anything input into it. Resizing the window is very very slightly slow, but there is no delay of any kind for any other action. Powerbook 667 DVI 768mb

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2002, 10:39 AM

It's noticeably slow for me on my G4/500MP with 892MB RAM.

Does anyone know of a way to batch convert imported events into another category?

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 11:08 AM

I did a "batch" import of my Entourage calendar info into iCal (using File->Import...), and it took FORTY-FIVE MINUTES to complete. I thought it had hung, so I force-quit the app and retried the operation and let it run through completion (took equally long), which left me with one-and-a-half copies of my Entourage data in iCal.

Attempting to edit an event took another half hour (literally), but possibly due to corrupted data from the first interrupted import. Deleting the first data set took care of the problem. Thankfully, iCal imported each version of my Entourage data into a separate calendar.

Far from Apple-bashing, it is fair to say that this app has great potential, but needs work. I lament not being able to drop Entourage altogether just yet, as iSync and a faster version of iCal will be necessary for me to do that.

My 2 centavos...

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
Wait for Apple to remove the debug code...from everything.

No seriously... I'm waiting for 10.2.1 so that OS X is lightning FAST!!! Just a few more weeks...

( Last edited by mitchell_pgh; Sep 11, 2002 at 01:28 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules