Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Grr..can't get perfect circle in AI:10

Grr..can't get perfect circle in AI:10
DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 11:50 AM

For some reason when hold down the shift key and make a circle, it's not coming out perfect. I've deleted the preferences and quit out of AI again and again and it's still not taking! This happened once before and I can't remember what I did. Any ideas!?

D3k61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:23 PM

Are you saying it's not a perfect circle based on what you see on the screen or is the shift key just not doing it's thing properly?
If you are basing your perception on what you see on the screen, can I ask what screen res you are running at? 1280x1024 will make circles look more oval than a res like 1280x960

Decker

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by D3k61:
Are you saying it's not a perfect circle based on what you see on the screen or is the shift key just not doing it's thing properly?
If you are basing your perception on what you see on the screen, can I ask what screen res you are running at? 1280x1024 will make circles look more oval than a res like 1280x960

Decker
The Shift key isn't doing it's thing properly.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 12:33 PM

So you're saying you can drag a variety of oval shapes when the shift key is pressed?

Chris

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
So you're saying you can drag a variety of oval shapes when the shift key is pressed?

Chris
yes.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 01:23 PM

I don't have AI. Is there a preference setting to modify that behavior? Do you have any other software installed that modifies the keystroke behavior? Anything?

Do you have any other graphics apps that you use to test whether this behavior is system-wide or specific to Illustrator?

Chris

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I don't have AI. Is there a preference setting to modify that behavior? Do you have any other software installed that modifies the keystroke behavior? Anything?

Do you have any other graphics apps that you use to test whether this behavior is system-wide or specific to Illustrator?

Chris
I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear in my original post. I just tested it in Photoshop and it worked fine. I don't believe there is a preference setting--the Shift key usually constrains the proportions to make it "perfect" either by shape or by re-sizing. I looked in the preferences for AI and didn't see that option. This happened before, in PS I think. I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Thank you for your help.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 02:29 PM

Sticky keys didn't accidentally get turned on, did it?

That's about the last thing I can think of.

Chris

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 05:06 PM

its a bug- i remember it was 'all the rage' when jag came out- a log out or restarting the app fixes it. I think if yu are runnig the latest version of the app (10.03) and the system (10.2.8 for Jag, probably alot less needed, havent seen the problem in months) you wont get it. There were alot of posts in the art+design forum - it might be worth searching to see if a definitive answer was found- I cant remember!

Forum Links
Forum Rules