Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Contemplating 15" MBP vs 13" MB purchase

Contemplating 15" MBP vs 13" MB purchase
Porco
May 18, 2006, 06:13 PM

I'm in the middle of trying to decide which machine to buy. I have the luxury of being able to take advantage of the Apple employee discount, so everything would be 25% off.

MBP Pros:

- Screen size
- Dedicated video
- Initial Ram configuration better.

MBP Cons

- Battery life?
- Cost is signifcantly higher
- Airport Reception? (Had a PB and my reception was always terrible)

MB Pros

- Portability
- Cheaper
- Powerful

MB Cons

- Integrated graphics
- AWFUL RAM configuration (might as well add $200 to the price).

A little more to be said... I am a gamer, but I have rarely played games on my Laptops (all my laptops haven't really been able to run games). It would be nice to be able to do so, for once. I usually play on a dedicated (console) system.

Portability has always been the main thing that I wanted in a machine. The MB weighs just slightly less, but I don't feel that the MBP is that much heavier.

In the end, the MB I would get would be around 1100 from Apple (White, BTO), while the MBP around $2053. I have considered going with the new low end MBP and then customizing the ram and HD, and that could save some money as well.

Can anyone offer suggestions/insights?

Porco  (op)
May 18, 2006, 10:55 PM

Bump.... Someone has to know something :-)

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Porco
Bump.... Someone has to know something :-)
I really prefer the smaller form factor as I take mine everywhere with me and travel for work quite a bit. It is amazing how much bulkier the MBP is when you do what I do.

If you really want to start using it as a portable game machine then you really should be going for the MBP.

I have read lately that the MBP has better airport reception since going mactel.

I would try basing your decision on the majority of your use vs. what you might do with it. If you might play games or if you might do 3D graphics is a lot different than using it mostly for internet, writing, portability, etc.

Going for the lowest priced MB and loading up memory (be sure to check ramseeker.com for best prices) and upgrading the HD might be a smart idea for you since it is one of your first thoughts.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 11:38 PM

like its hard to say anything, what are you going to be using this machine for? that matters a lot.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Porco  (op)
May 19, 2006, 12:33 AM

I plan on using the machine as my daily workhorse. I do some movie editing (family movies), iphoto, iweb, etc. I also need it to run windows so that I can run project, and some proprietary work software.

I generally don't game, but that is probably related to the fact that on all the machines the specs were too low to do so. The machine has to keep up with a lot of open apps for work.

[email protected]
May 19, 2006, 12:57 AM

I'm In the same boat as Porco. I want the MBP because of the screen real estate. I'll mostly use the laptop for school stuff, heavy internet, and some music recording. I'm going to check out the new MB this weekend. Who knows, it might blow me away. If I get a refurb 1.83 from the apple store for $1599, even with the education discount the new MB 2.0 is $1450. For the extra 150 bucks I think the MBP is worth it. Any thoughts?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2006, 01:21 AM

I plan on using the machine as my daily workhorse. I do some movie editing (family movies), iphoto, iweb, etc. I also need it to run windows so that I can run project, and some proprietary work software.

I generally don't game, but that is probably related to the fact that on all the machines the specs were too low to do so. The machine has to keep up with a lot of open apps for work.
with everything you said seems to me like the MB would be fine. from what i understand the MB is far more powerful than the old ibooks. and if you plan on doing your movie editing in imovie you should be fine. i have the mbp and really most of the extra power and such suchness goes used until you start with the pro apps, rosetta, and gaming. and it looks like you really wont be doing much of that and not really enough to pay the extra $500-$1000. my 2 cents.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 02:59 AM

I usually play on a dedicated (console) system.
Portability has always been the main thing that I wanted in a machine.
You've already said it yourself. Get the MB. The smaller size will serve you more than the MBPs' X1600.

Porco  (op)
May 19, 2006, 03:10 AM

Simon,

As a previous owner of 15" PBs, I never felt those to not be portable. The fact that the weight difference between one and the other is only .4 lbs, makes it almost a non issue. Of course that .4 difference costs $1000.

Seriously, though, thanks to everyone who has chimed in. Knowledge is key...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 03:53 AM

As a previous owner of 15" PBs, I never felt those to not be portable.
I never said the 15" wasn't portable. I carry one around every day. It's just that the smaller MB will make it even more portable. And since your use doesn't imply you need any of the MBP advantages, I'd recommend getting the MB and using the saved money for loads of RAM and good accessories.

Forum Links
Forum Rules